• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to find musket nipple to fit TC Hawkin 50 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopelli

32 Cal
Reaction score
Due to shortage of #11 caps, looking to get a musket nipple that fits a TC Hawken 50 cal. I searched Track of Wolf but did not find one. Any Ideas/advise?

The TC musket nipple shows available on Amazon...$26...
You might find others with 1/4-28 threads that have the same length -or a few thousandths over or under that may not make a difference.

Dixie Gun Works item number TR1402.

$19.25, In Stock.

Package says Traditions, but the threads are the correct size and length difference is probably negligible.

I have one of Track’s Musket nipples on a Renegade and a spare in the stash. CCI musket caps are setting off 80 grain charges of Pyrodex RS every time.
Good luck to you for that because CCI musket c(r)aps will not work in my Sharps carbine with out nipple prime every shot and are not reliable when tried in my Smith carbine which has a very short firepath unlike the Sharps.
Fortunately the RWS caps work without nipple prime, are very reliable, and I have a good supply.
respectfully submitted
Bunk

Sharps rifles/carbines have a pretty twisty flash channel, so I am not surprised at you having some difficulty with ignition. Glad you found a solution.

Which Sharps carbine do you have? I've been thinkin' 'bout gettin' me one.
Good luck to you for that because CCI musket c(r)aps will not work in my Sharps carbine with out nipple prime every shot and are not reliable when tried in my Smith carbine which has a very short firepath unlike the Sharps.
Fortunately the RWS caps work without nipple prime, are very reliable, and I have a good supply.
respectfully submi

The musket caps are considerably larger than the #11 caps. On some rifles, the nose cavity will not clear the larger musket nipple with cap. Then some adjustment needs to be made with the hammer. On some, no adjustment is needed. The good news is that once the lock is adjusted to fire musket caps, then the return to #11 caps will need no retrofit other than replacement of the nipple.

respectfully submitted
Bunk
I’m using Scheutzen caps on a Smith and they light up just fine. I tried them on a couple different TC’s and they’re good there too.

Sharps rifles/carbines have a pretty twisty flash channel, so I am not surprised at you having some difficulty with ignition. Glad you found a solution.

Which Sharps carbine do you have? I've been thinkin' 'bout gettin' me one.
Actually have two, a carbine with the Hahn Machine works breech block modification and a long barrel (32") Sporting Rifle with the Larry Flees breech block modification.
I really can't recommend one system over the other. The carbine i easier to shoot, the rifle is a bit more accurate because of the long sight radius.
Either will work for multiple (+40) shots with no binding. Both are set to use 1.25" Hahn tubes. Both systems are easy to remove and replace for cleaning.
For my guns both like 40 grains FFg powder and the Moose 480 grain ring tail bullet in the Hahn tube and that gives me good accuracy at least to 50 yards. So far still figuring hold over for 75 yards.with my old eyes. But I keep trying.
the only other thing that was done was to replace the original sights on both with a Lyman 1/16" ivory bead front sight and a Marble "Bulls Eye" rear sight which is a kind of barrel mounted peep sight.
If I can help message me.
Love that Sharps
Bunk

Actually have two, a carbine with the Hahn Machine works breech block modification and a long barrel (32") Sporting Rifle with the Larry Flees breech block modification.
I really can't recommend one system over the other. The carbine i easier to shoot, the rifle is a bit more accurate because of the long sight radius.
Either will work for multiple (+40) shots with no binding. Both are set to use 1.25" Hahn tubes. Both systems are easy to remove and replace for cleaning.
For my guns both like 40 grains FFg powder and the Moose 480 grain ring tail bullet in the Hahn tube and that gives me good accuracy at least to 50 yards. So far still figuring hold over for 75 yards.with my old eyes. But I keep trying.
the only other thing that was done was to replace the original sights on both with a Lyman 1/16" ivory bead front sight and a Marble "Bulls Eye" rear sight which is a kind of barrel mounted peep sight.
If I can help message me.
Love that Sharps
Bunk
Thanks for the info. I've seen some of the modifications demonstrated by Duelist1954 on YouTube and played with the Marble's sight you referenced on a Winchester Model 92. In the end I went back to the original rear sight on the Winchester, but still have the Marble's sight... which I am considering for my Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle. My old eyes are not working too well either, but 2x readers seem to help.

I'm guessing you have the Pedersoli guns?

Musket caps are much more reliable than #11 caps! I know this from bitter experience!
That has been debated, besides which, standard No 11 caps, brass Italian caps, or the "magnum" caps that have been sold for the last 30 years?

I find all the hoopla kind of ironic, since I used No. 11 caps on my Zoave musket for decades. Zoli included both nipples with it's guns. back then.

I remember somebody doing a test on the power of various percussion caps. The other problem is that not all holes through the nipples are equal. If your through hole has been modified, or you have sloppy loading technique, the flash channels tend to be clogged up more or the powder does not find it's way into the flash channel. I generally stick with what ever size nipple the gun came with.

And what shortage of no 11 caps.? If you mean the sporting goods dept at Walmart doesn't have caps 10 months a year.,,,, why didn't you stock up when you had the chance. Most of my pistols use musket caps, but I keep an eye out for deals and buy 500 or a 1,000 when I find them reasonable. I have several black powder shops within a 2 hour drive. I plan out my road trips to swing by those shops for supplies when Mrs. and I are traveling the countryside. (Her favorite quilt supply shop is only 14 miles from Dixon's muzzle loader shop) I was at a yard sale last fall and picked up 3 unopened tins of RWS caps for $2 each.

Back