• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where To Buy Flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are interested in making your own, I have flint spalls already spalled to make gun flints in your are interested.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I may take you up on your offer. So far I can make spalls. Turning them into usable flints has been my downfall. But ever once in a while I can come up with what should be a working flint. Now just to get a flint fired rifle.

Have used Tom Fuller flints for decades. Knap my own when I can get Brandon or Grimes Graves flint from England. French amber flints worth using as well. Both in close price range depending on supplier. Best prices for bulk if willing to keep high graded flints and sell lesser rejects. In U. S. - Georgetown, Edwards Plateau superior. Some cherts without heat treating are hard and last a long time. You will waste a lot of stone and time trying to knap flints from small preforms and debitage. The professionals use a pointed mild steel or iron hammer on the edge of a flat topped spall. This creates long burins, chisel like lengths of flint or chert that are reduced to gun flint lengths. The small pieces are made on an anvil with a rectangular shaped hammer both of will can be made from annealed files or steel. There are good videos of the old time flint knappers in England making thousands of gunflints. Worth looking up. Those with diamond saws can make sawn agates, certain oil cherts and Novaculite (Arkansas whetstone rock) that don't touch up with pressure flaking but can be re ground. A neophyte black powder shop owner tried to sell obsidian for gunflints and fire steel stone. Don't use obsidian.

just a heads up when you make your own, there is 60-80% waist and a long learning curve youtube can help. and all that waist is razer sharp bandaids and safety glasses Kevlar gloves help. the white Novaculite flints are very sparky but are a pain to re-edge, the grey is georgetown and, they are easy to pressure flake back to sharp
DSC03220.JPG
DSC03223.JPG
DSC03224.JPG
DSC03227.JPG
DSC03191.JPG

I work at The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium and we do have flints in stock, but are limiting orders to 5 of each size currently.

Latest posts

Back