• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to buy black powder in the north east

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I live in Massachusetts. I know, I am sorry to! Anyone can tell me whole sells the real thing in MA, RI, NH, VT or Maine?
I know about Maine Powder house I was just hoping there might be somewhere else also.
Not really up for the 5 lb minimum. That would be a lifetime of powder for me at this point, tho that just might be the way to go.
Freaking Grafs won't sell to MA tho I can get powder and such for the unmentionables from all kinds of places.
Thanks All. BB

I'm very interested in this topic, as far as I know KTP dosen't ship, especially bp to us in MA. Were you planning on simply driving there ? Is there a particular permit necessary to buy bp from Kittery as a MA resident ?

Excellent. Thank you. That is a fun place to wander around in. And I can buy anything there except firearms.

Kittery Trading Post in Maine (just over the border from Portsmouth NH) usually has real BP in stock. You will pay alittle more than when you buy it mail order, but for a pound or so it is a good deal.

Kittery Trading Post in Maine (just over the border from Portsmouth NH) usually has real BP in stock. You will pay alittle more than when you buy it mail order, but for a pound or so it is a good deal.
It is not to bad of a right and it is a nice area to visit. I don't see it listed online. Can you send me a link? Thanks BB.

I'm very interested in this topic, as far as I know KTP dosen't ship, especially bp to us in MA. Were you planning on simply driving there ? Is there a particular permit necessary to buy bp from Kittery as a MA resident ?
I was there a few years ago, 3 or 4 years. I bought a bunch of reloading stuff. The only thing they would not let me touch or buy was firearms.
And you are correct, they will not ship a black powder firearm. For the Traditions Trapper: ATTENTION: You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase this item. The online sale of this item is prohibited to the following: HI, IL, MA, MI, D.C., NY, RI, NJ, and Canada.
Amazing that CA is not on that list.

Went through Pittsfield, MA once by accident....you know...coming from VT, you'd think there'd be a sign like "Now Entering MA" but nope! I am sorry for you too!

Hope you get your powder. Next time I pass though Winchester,VA, I'll pick some up from that store there myself.

It is not to bad of a right and it is a nice area to visit. I don't see it listed online. Can you send me a link? Thanks BB.
Just type in Kittery Trading Post to bring you to their web site. I forgot how ridiculous the gun laws are in MA. You will have to go to Kittery to purchase your BP. You can buy BP guns there at the store cause no FFL is required.

Contact Sheldon Royal at Hunter's Rendezvous in Pepperell, MA. His shop on Rt. 119 is worth a visit (lots of ML guns and accessories). I'm quite sure he sells black powder. Another possibility: Ray Paskerta at the Sporting and Hunting Depot, Charlestown, NH (603-826-3535); call ahead to be sure he has black powder. This is another good shop and a good fellow to deal with.

I'm in MA and have purchased BP from Kittery in person without even showing my MA credentials. I have also walked smokeless long arms out the door and BP rifles and pistols as well. I have also had firearms shipped to a LGS by them on occasion. Unlike MA where I have to show a LTC or similar credential to buy even lead round balls.

Contact Sheldon Royal at Hunter's Rendezvous in Pepperell, MA. His shop on Rt. 119 is worth a visit (lots of ML guns and accessories). I'm quite sure he sells black powder. Another possibility: Ray Paskerta at the Sporting and Hunting Depot, Charlestown, NH (603-826-3535); call ahead to be sure he has black powder. This is another good shop and a good fellow to deal with.

he’s still around ? I bought a flintlock off him in the 80’s

Boston Bill: Buy 5 pounds. Set aside what you think you'll need and the next time you see a muzzleloader at the range, mention that you've got some extra powder at a fair price. You won't have it long.
Tanglefoot

Back