• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

where have all the.45's gone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosinRob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I went to my second black powder match today. This one wad a NRA qualifier match. Well I did well with my .45 cherokee rifle and my .54 plains pistol. I made pro marksman and marksman with the rifle, and marksman with the pistol. The question is though. Everyone with a rifle there was .50 or.54 rifle. This is the second time I'm the only .45. Is a .45 just not that popular or are the .50's more accurate or something?

my guess is the availability of supplies

every shooting supply in my area has 50 accesiories and most have 54 stuff, but other calibers are not represented very well in the off the shelf market

I could be wrong but I think the .45 is the victim of the American "Larger is Better" syndrome.

At one time back in the 1970's the .45 was widely bought by the American shooters.

My first rifle was a .45 flintlock which proved itself by doing everything necessary to dispatch a Javelina at about 60 yards.

Of course it gets folks attention when someone says, "I'm shooting a .50 caliber....." and it sounds even better if they are saying, "I shoot a .54!"

I'm not badmouthing the larger calibers for there is no doubt that they have better knock down and killing power and they are more effective at longer ranges than a .45.

That's why I suggest that deer hunters that are using a .45 should limit their range to something around 80 yards.

Anyway, keep on shooting your .45!
They are excellent muzzleloaders that don't need a lot of powder or lead to get the job done. :)

Back in the 60's and early seventies the 40 caliber was very popular at friendship and other serious ranges. Then as more states started "primative weapons" deer seasons the movement was to 45 calibers since they were being brought over from spain by many companies. But soon people started going to 50 calibers under the idea that bigger is better. Now most "big box " sporting goods stores stock 50 calibers supplies which leads to more 50 calibers. Myself I stayed with the 45's. :idunno: :idunno:

Darned few off-the-shelf 45's available today except in the used market. Lyman is only making 50's and 54's. Heck, TC only makes 50's now.

True, many believe larger is better. The...can I say the word... :redface: ..inlines :shocked2: now come primarily in only .50 cal. and many beginners have been brainwashed into thinking that caliber is somehow magical. They want to do the Jim Shockey thing and knock down a big critter hundreds of yards across a canyon with their fake front boomer.
At ranges I kept a number of ball sizes in my box. If some guy started making fun of the tiny calibers, e.g. .40 and .45, I would wait until he walked away. Then I would set a .731 ball used in my Brown Bess on top of his muzzle. I would say nothing but the look on their face when they returned was precious. Never another word about guys using small calibers.
Enneyhow, I believe there may be a trend going back to smaller ball sizes. They require less lead and less powder. Both are comodities that are getting somewhat scarce and very costly.
BTW, I limit my deer hunting range to no more than 100 yards. My .45 will bring them down very nicely inside that. Over 100 yards it runs out of legs very quickly and, IMHO, is not humanely effective.

as others have stated it is the bigger is better thing. even some on this site think anything under a .54 is too small.

i started shooting in matches in 86 with a .50. then moved to a .45 then to a .40. less powder and lead per shot ment more shooting for same price. you can talk it all you want but pratice is wahts make you better. some culbs around here have started shooting again. the adverage cal. is .45. with a lot of .36 and .40's.

Bigger is better mentality and that goes for state gun laws.Some state laws say .50 or better for deer.

They don't realize that a .45 with a well placed shot will take just as many deer. I had a friend that used to love to jump hunt deer with a .45
He would always say if I can get him to lay up in cover and I can get on him on the first couple of bounces, he is mine! The .45 was ideal for him as it was a little lighter to carry and handle and that way he could swing on a deer that much quicker. I must say I never known of him missing but a couple that way!

I prefer my .54s over my .50s, but the .45 works just fine for the hunting I do, and I would have no doubts about being able to go even smaller and remaining effective. So the .45 will do most things I need with less powder and lead than the .54 I prefer. But I personally just like the bigger and heavier ball, not because of any performance deficit with the .45, but just to have something different. Hunting with a ML, is different than any other member of my hunting friends to begin with, but you know how that goes...

One thing for shooting matches is that the bigger calibers cut a bigger hole in a paper target. This may give more holes touching a higher-scoring ring. :hmm:

Golfswithwolves said:
One thing for shooting matches is that the bigger calibers cut a bigger hole in a paper target. This may give more holes touching a higher-scoring ring. :hmm:
if that is the case then there should be a point penalty for larger bores

Oregon requires .50 or larger for elk so people tend to want a caliber that will cover all their options.

As for scoring paper targets, we score center of the ball because of the variety of calibers used. I've seen some little plastic gizmo used with various caliber sized circles on it to determine center. No idea who makes 'em.

Bakeoven Bill said:
As for scoring paper targets, we score center of the ball because of the variety of calibers used. I've seen some little plastic gizmo used with various caliber sized circles on it to determine center. No idea who makes 'em.

Got a set long, long ago from Hoppes when I shot rimfire and handgun matches. No idea if they still make them or the sizes available.

At our Club, there are a few metal Targets that are hard to knock down with a light Caliber Ball. And then, of course, some are damaged by the heavier Calibers slamming into them!!!!

I just got a .45 and I love it. It is on it's way to becoming my favorite caliber so far.

BrownBear said:
Bakeoven Bill said:

Got a set long, long ago from Hoppes when I shot rimfire and handgun matches. No idea if they still make them or the sizes available.

They are called "scoring overlays" and are available from the MNLRA.

I have three Kentucky's, all 45's. The Jeager
and wheellock Jaeger are 54 and the snaphaunce
and zouvaves are 58 with the matchlock being a
healthy 62 finished off by the Bess at 75...
love 'em all....just finished a 40...I would not
be able to select just one....
Wulf

Right happy to keep the .46 flinter and thank you much Mr. Hoyt.
When I first started muzzleloaders my everything rifle was a Japanese .45 "Kentucky" that shot .44"round ball. And it always bugged me having to have a different ball for a Colt. Not no more.

this is true of centerfire matches. muzzloading matches are scored with the center of the ball. it has been that way since they started shooting them. it was done so the big bores would not have an advantage.

Back