• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you draw the line?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back and re-read the original post. In principle I'm fine with any of the gear listed UNLESS a club or event has rules against said gear. I genuinely respect those that go to the trouble of making their entire kit as authentic as possible. I'd love to observe that kind of event (if spectators/observers are allowed). I personally came to muzzloading from BPCR guns. For the past few years I have hunted exclusively with my ML. For me personally ML season is any season that allows a firearm. I don't limit my use to a special season.
The guns I enjoy are tradition ML. My go-to hunting rifle is a sidelock English sporting rifle. I carry a bag and horn. I honestly don't know if they are period correct together as a kit. I just know I enjoy shooting and hunting with it. I am able to hunt and shoot on my own property. I would say I love to live and hunt in a primitive spirit. I enjoy the firearms and accoutrements. I enjoy the bushcraft skills. I haven't gone as far as period clothing.

Last edited:
I have been known to leave my keys in the truck and use the door code in order to not have anything modern on my person at an event.

Are you ok with a plastic/delrin/fiberglass ramrod?
Ok with a plastic stock?
Ok with fiber optic sights?
Ok with a scope?
Ok with an in-line
How does one communicate about and sign up for these events without their smartphone, iPad, laptop or PC? I always find it ironic that these events are advertised through the internet instead of handwritten or old printing press made flyers tacked up on trees and sides of buildings. There is a line somewhere in there.

How does one communicate about and sign up for these events without their smartphone, iPad, laptop or PC? I always find it ironic that these events are advertised through the internet instead of handwritten or old printing press made flyers tacked up on trees and sides of buildings. There is a line somewhere in there.

And guys arrive in their air conditioned vehicles, not on foot or by horseback.

For years, the only deer hunters I allowed on my farm used muzzleloaders. Killed just as many as we did with modern and had better stories to tell. Those guys are dead. Enjoy the time you have and give that new muzzleloader you meet a smile, handshake, maybe a can of caps, some extra flints, or something they'll need.

50 years ago, that's what the "old timers" did for me. Gentlemen I never forgot - every one of them. Made the experience enjoyable.

There is a time and place for everything.
I have no problem w it. My range my rules. Rules are simple Be safe be respectful. No shooting glass no shooting at the storage box or using it for a target stand.
think having to use the term unmentionable is ridicules. .

.223 Remington center fire. Happy?

Perhaps there is a place for another forum. A place for trekkers that insist upon traditional regardless of your age, and a place for people that just like the challenge of flint locks and percussion caps, but also realize that whatever the stock is made of, has little effect on the rest of the firearm, and an iron sight is an iron sight no matter if it's a hole punched in steel or is minus the top half or it shines on top. The idea is not to ban technology but to learn to survive in spite of it.
squint

I don't think there is really a need for two different forums, just a change in attitudes. Live and let live, I don't disparage those that enjoy the sport differently than I do. My Hawken came with the target sights with the little green neon "tubes" on the rear sight. As far as a Hawken goes, it was relatively inexpensive. Made by Pedersoli and marketed as a Traditional (everyone take your blood pressure medications) Hawken Target Rifle Percussion Model.

Everyone have a great day and go make some smoke and some noise.

So, I guess the main question is, are you there for the historical accuracy OR to shoot that smoke pole??
Both for me. I love the historic aspect. Playing dress up just helps me enjoy the whole of the experience
However you look on You Tube you can watch Black Powder TV. All historic first rate guns and shot in a traditional style.
The old boy that does it doesn’t dress out. He just looks like Billy Bob the country boy
This forums for traditional, and that covers TC ‘Hawkins to bench copies’ it’s all fun.

For me, I enjoy observing those events sometimes. I can’t afford all the correct stuff. I have a Delrin/ fiberglass range rod. Generally I’m a blue jeans and boots wearing guy. I’m in it for the fun, but not that much fun… think expensive.
Keys, meds, money all go with me for safety reasons as does my 1911 A1. I don’t even go to church without it.
I look to enjoy the whole range of the sport… except the in-line stuff.

And, Snicker Bars. You gotta have Snickers. A hunt or shoot without a Snicker Bar tucked safely away somewhere, is like a day without coffee. I wouldn’t even want to imagine that… :cool:

And, Snicker Bars. You gotta have Snickers. A hunt or shoot without a Snicker Bar tucked safely away somewhere, is like a day without coffee. I wouldn’t even want to imagine that… :cool:
I have to disagree here. I recognize your right to believe Snicker Bars are the pinnacle of candy (or at least candy bar) art. But I am a Baby Ruth guy and must stick with that.

Sorry you both suffer from Beingwrong syndrome. Ghirardelli’s 85%cocca dark chocolate is the best
You all don’t shoot percussion guns do you?
( just joking here guys and I don’t mean anything in the above statement accept that’s my favorite chocolate bar)

Sorry you both suffer from Beingwrong syndrome. Ghirardelli’s 85%cocca dark chocolate is the best
You all don’t shoot percussion guns do you?
( just joking here guys and I don’t mean anything in the above statement accept that’s my favorite chocolate bar)

I'll admit I'm a dark chocolate guy too, have a piece with coffee after every meal, sometimes between meals too. LOL

You're right -- but I hesitated to mention that in the context of a "candy bar". However, I'm more inclined towards the 70%. Just a matter of taste.

If someone shows up at my range with a plastic stock traditional muzzleloader I'm not going to send them scampering or if it has fiber optic sights, I don't want to ruin what interest that may be blooming, I myself want to stay as traditional as possible.
If someone shows up with that kind of gear take them under your wing and teach them. Most (or all) of us started out as greenhorns. We had to learn somehow. A mentor will go a long way to preserve our sport and maybe get more support for gun ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back