• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you draw the line?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps there is a place for another forum. A place for trekkers that insist upon traditional regardless of your age, and a place for people that just like the challenge of flint locks and percussion caps, but also realize that whatever the stock is made of, has little effect on the rest of the firearm, and an iron sight is an iron sight no matter if it's a hole punched in steel or is minus the top half or it shines on top. The idea is not to ban technology but to learn to survive in spite of it.
squint

i gave up bow hunting with training wheels 35 years ago. Still hunt with the recurve I bought in 1988.
I still have the 45# Darton takedown I bought in 1973 -- it was about the first thing I bought when I got my first university position right out of graduate school. That and a Gerber survival knife and double layer goose down expedition parka (Chicago winters, riding the El!) I bought from the Eddy Bauer store in downtown Chicago when Eddy Bauer was Eddy Bauer and not whatever it is today. I later got a Herter's takedown with rosewood grip section. Beautiful, but too short and it really stacked something awful. Now my recreational (and squirrel-scaring) bow is an 40# Omega Imperial (reflex deflex) longbow. Absolutely wonderful.

I still have the 45# Darton takedown I bought in 1973 -- it was about the first thing I bought when I got my first university position right out of graduate school. That and a Gerber survival knife and double layer goose down expedition parka (Chicago winters, riding the El!) I bought from the Eddy Bauer store in downtown Chicago when Eddy Bauer was Eddy Bauer and not whatever it is today. I later got a Herter's takedown with rosewood grip section. Beautiful, but too short and it really stacked something awful. Now my recreational (and squirrel-scaring) bow is an 40# Omega Imperial (reflex deflex) longbow. Absolutely wonderful.
I shoot and hunt with longbow, crossbow (both types), recurve, and compound........being a prepper too, I keep my options open....wether it's BP, archery, or "unmentionables".

Seems to me that we shouldn't be questioning what level of modern substitutes we can get away with. Instead, we should be striving to experience the past as much as possible (I'll grant myself exceptions for dysentery and roundball wounds).
If you stop to think about it, there is a mixing/melding of two hobby orientations here: those who like to immerse themselves in as much historical context and experience of the time as possible, and those who like to shoot the old guns. They don't need to be at odds with one another. And they don't need to be forced into a single perspective either. And they're both about muzzle loading guns of a certain type. There isn't just one way to "properly" experience the past. And the comment about dysentery and roundball wounds reflects this. :)

Here are my thoughts:
Is it a juried event? then no to all of the OP items
Is it a muzzle loading event? the no to the in-line
Do the rules say open sights only? then no to the scope
Other than that, who cares what kind of rod you are using to load your gun with.
As for plastic stocks, is it being used by a newcomer that is just trying things out and was able to purchase the whole gun for the price of just one component as a nice piece of wood will cost several hundred dollars, a lock two to three and the barrel the same plus at least the total of all of those for someone to put it together for you if you are not able. or more!
Oh, in regards to the fiber optic sights, while I don't have them on any of my M/L I do find myself upgrading my modern guns to having them as I call them old man sights which I seem to need these days.
I too have much more cotton then I should for my clothing. While I did hand sew one shirt (made of cotton) I will never do that again. I use a sewing machine where the stitches don't show and hand sew where they do.
Who here walks or rides a horse to an event?

Live and let live. I will try not to tell you how live if you do the same.

Woody

At my age, 77, I like my comforts. I shoot side lock MZ long guns and cap and ball revolvers, don't like inlines. Use BP, and shoot two recurves. I wear modern clothing all the time and would feel extremely self conscious trying to look like a mountain man which I'm not. Those that like to mimic the old ways have my blessing but I can't and don't want to go that way.

Just curious and to keep from hi jacking a different thread

How HC/PC are you comfortable with.

I have been known to leave my keys in the truck and use the door code in order to not have anything modern on my person at an event.

Are you ok with a plastic/delrin/fiberglass ramrod?
Ok with a plastic stock?
Ok with fiber optic sights?
Ok with a scope?
Ok with an in-line

Not for others just for yourself.

Maybe this should be a poll?
If it's a primitive shoot, none of the above. If you are going hunting, fill yer boots to the limit of the law.

When it comes to our hobby (way of life?) I find there are shooters, reenactors, hunters, and some who like to mix it up.

I’ve never really done much Rendezvousing. I’ve never been to Friendship. I mostly shoot informal competitions with many clubs in my state. Before Covid, I took the Muzzle Loading Instructor course in order to work with Scouts.

My local group does some reenacting, so I have the attire for that. Some of the Rendezvous I’d be afraid to attend because of the “Stitch Counters”. When I started this ride some 30 plus years ago, I was raising a family so could only afford what I could. My wife made me some period clothing out of cotton from patterns purchased at the local ML shop. Most people I encountered in the 80s and 90s were kind.

I belong to one group down south that is Traditional only. Inlines and revolvers are not allowed. My local club allows inlines as long as they shoot solid lead projectiles and have open sights. We figure with our numbers dwindling, we can’t afford to be picky. One of our best members had an inline because that’s all he could afford at the time. He now has a Caplock and Flintlock rifle, both CVAs which he bought from me. Had we turned him away, it would have been our loss!

Some clubs allow Peep and Fiber Optic sights. Some don’t. Most of the folks I shoot with are up in years and their eyesight isn’t what it used to be. I can’t slight them for doing whatever it takes to stay in the game. If they beat me in the match because of it, I really don’t care as long as they’re having a good time.

I use a steel bench rod from Track of the Wolf. I have arthritis in my wrists and the extra weight helps with loading (even on the Trail Walk). I have a synthetic rod in my CVA loaner Hawken as that was the only replacement rod Deer Creek Products had left out of all the parts they bought from CVA when they stopped making sidelocks. I have a synthetic stocked CVA Bobcat (sidelock) rifle I bring for Peewees at the Scout Rendezvous. I also own a CVA Eclipse specifically for Muzzle Loading classes as we teach Flintlock, Percussion, and INLINE.

In the past couple of years, I cleaned out my gun safe of most of my modern unmentionables and production muzzleloaders. I used the proceeds to purchase some nice custom guns.

I have one guy we shoot with that confesses, he’s there to win. I used to be like that but realized that if I became unhappy about not placing first, I was sucking all the fun out of the experience. Do I like to be in the top three, yes? Will it ruin my day if I’m not, NO! I do this because I enjoy it more than any other shooting sport out there. Even with all the misfires, dry balls, and the like, I find it pleasurable. When sighting in a gun, I’ve shot 24 rounds in about three hours. As long as the accuracy improves, it’s very relaxing. Try and make a 20-round box of modern ammo last that long!

I’ve hunted mostly with conicals shot from caplocks. This year, I’ll be using my Trade Gun with extra Round Ball Barrel. I suppose some trend forward, and some backward. 😁

There’s my 18 cents worth; two for every paragraph.

Thanks!

Walt

i gave up bow hunting with training wheels 35 years ago. Still hunt with the recurve I bought in 1988.
My archery preference is for my 55lb. Martin longbow, given to me by my father in the late 1990s, with homemade wooden arrows made by my brother. Nothing against modern technologies, just my preference.

You know, .410 shotguns are kinda underrated by some and overrated by others. Yes I know this is a taboo subject but about as pertaining to here as all the archery manure. Just trying to make a point after all break action single shits are kind of ol' timey as well

Since I followed someone else off topic (my apologies, Flintlock), I will come back to it. I think all the items on the OP list have their place and proper usage. I also think everyone should let everyone else do his own thing. If I don’t have any HC/PC gear, I am not going to try to bring modern stuff to a specifically HC/PC Event (if it is not allowed). Conversely, I wouldn’t have a problem with someone in full HC/PC-compliant glory participating in a non HC/PC event. If there are parameters or rules to an event/club/etc., then follow them. And don’t be a d!ck to newcomers or people who don’t know those rules. Try to educate them on the differences and maybe you gain some new converts. Like many on here, I have a variety of weapons types. I currently prefer percussion sidelocks, and have a particular fondness for long rifles. I don’t own any flintlocks (yet), so I guess I would have to pretend that I converted my flintlock to a caplock (and would thus limit myself to no earlier period than the 1830s, maybe?). I have been making myself some powder horns and shooting bags which are certainly not modern, but also not purposely from any specific time frame. I am probably mixing and matching. I learn a lot on this forum, and greatly respect and appreciate all of the collective wisdom that gets shared on here, but honestly, I could do without the carping, (apparent) snobbery, and sometimes, outright venomous trolling that has been happening more and more frequently on here. I am not referring to this thread specifically, but to others I have seen recently. Hopefully, I have not angered anyone or hurt anyone’s feelings, as neither was my intent. If you read all the way to here, then I thank you for your time.

‘Poet

While I respect those that strive for period correct, it isn't my deal at present. I came to muzzleloaders as a hunter, although I started (and stayed with) percussion cap sidelocks. I shoot to please myself or at deer, so my lack of interest in PC accoutrements doesn't matter (well, maybe the deer care, but they are not alive long enough to object). I do this for fun. If PC becomes fun (some day I might have time to be a Civil War reenactor), sure. At present, this is part of my shooting and hunting hobby.

All that aside, I have a lot of interest in history and how things were done. So I cast my own balls, make my own leather goods, butcher my own deer, etc. I got into ML hunting for the availability of tags, but I like the challenge of doing it the old way and it has made me a better hunter. I picked up an inline to fool with, but I don't ever plan on hunting with it as my round ball guns are too much fun for the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back