• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

where do you buy your *original* cap-and-ball revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am primarily interested in original cap-and-ball revolvers, e.g. Colt 1849 Pocket .31 and Colt 1851 Navy .36 and Colt 1860 Army .44 and Colt 1862 Police .36, for example, as well as Remington New Model Army .44 from the late 1800s.
This excludes modern reproductions, including the 2nd and 3rd generation Colts.
I have been browsing online via GunBroker and all the auction sites linked to ProxiBid, for example, but where else would you recommend I look for vintage revolvers in good enough condition to fire?
The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium in Springfield, Oregon, is a good resource, and Lodgewood Manufacturing and Civil War Shop and Horse Soldier are good online sources, but are you aware of any local gun shops in your area which happen to have any for sale? If so, then please share the name and/or website...

Last edited:
I am primarily interested in original cap-and-ball revolvers, e.g. Colt 1849 Pocket .31 and Colt 1851 Navy .36 and Colt 1860 Army .44 and Colt 1862 Police .36, for example, as well as Remington New Model Army .44 from the late 1800s.
I have been browsing online via GunBroker and all the auction sites linked to ProxiBid, for example, but where else would you recommend I look for vintage revolvers in good enough condition to fire?
Lodgewood Manufacturing is a good source, but are you aware of any local gun shops in your area which happen to have any for sale? If so, then please share the name and/or website...
I'd think googling antique arms dealers would pop something up. Most people are afraid to shoot originals, but the N-NSA guys, that might be good place to ask. They use original muskets and carbines routinely. Good luck! (North-South Skirmish Ass'n.)

I'd think googling antique arms dealers would pop something up. Most people are afraid to shoot originals, but the N-NSA guys, that might be good place to ask. They use original muskets and carbines routinely. Good luck! (North-South Skirmish Ass'n.)

thank you, I already browse n-ssa.net quite frequently too

Last edited:
I buy originals at the gun shows mainly, around here that is mainly the Ohio Gun Collectors shows and sometimes Tri State Gun Collectors as well. I used to work the regular show circuit selling modern stuff but have gotten lucky a few times at those shows (antiques sometimes walk in, dealers occasionally have an old piece they have picked up and want to move). Have to really know what you're looking at though, many outside the collector oriented shows often have no clue what they actually have. Which can be a good or bad depending on what they think it is.............

The last 1849 Colt I picked up was actually found at a nearby gun shop that specializes in those black tactical things........... Got a good price on it, wasn't there normal item. Always pays to check and sometimes letting a dealer know you are into old stuff will get you a call if something comes in

that Whitney looks interesting, do you recall their asking price?

unfortunately at the only LGS around here with lots of those in stock, the grumpy ol' scrounger has 'em all priced as if he does not really want to sell any... (and all the reviews of Murle's Gunsmith Shop in Granbury, Texas, are unfortunately accurate, as the ol' codger is rather unpleasant too)

Last edited:
Try Cabela’s. They usually have an in store “gun library”. They have all sorts of items, rifles, shotguns and hand guns. They can be pretty pricey. But it’s always fun to go look. You used to be able to find items on their website. It would tell you which store had that certain item. :cool:

While I have not purchased from either of these, I enjoy checking out the auctions at Rock Island Armory (Rock Island, IL) and Ancestry Guns ( Columbia MO)

Woody

Try Cabela’s. They usually have an in store “gun library”. They have all sorts of items, rifles, shotguns and hand guns. They can be pretty pricey. But it’s always fun to go look. You used to be able to find items on their website. It would tell you which store had that certain item. :cool:
Yeah, some of the stuff in their 'library' is priced like Shakespeare originals in a high-end rare book shop.

The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium in Springfield, Oregon, is a good resource, and Lodgewood Manufacturing and Civil War Shop and Horse Soldier are good online sources, but are you aware of any local gun shops in your area which happen to have any for sale? If so, then please share the name and/or website...
I've been shooting originals for over 50 years & due to age & health issues will be selling off some & just happen to have an original 1858 Remington new Model Army for sale. The action is very tight & the cylinder locks-up dead center with the bore & is an excellent shooter. If this revolver is of interest I can send you some photos & more details.
If you live near Boise Idaho your welcome to drop by & check it out.
Best regards,
Relic shooter

Here is where I would look Guns for Sale at GunsInternational.com This isn't an auction site, it is a site where the buyer can negotiate about the sellers asking price and unlike most auction sites you can get in contact directly with the seller. You also have a 3 day inspection period if you want to return it UNFIRED and you pay return postage and insurance. The firearms are sent to your FFL and not directly to the buyer. You will see all the Colts you mentioned there and when I decide to sell my 8 original Colts it will be there, if they don't go quicker by word of mouth. Oh, there is no buyers fee, sellers pay for the ad and that's it.

Latest posts

Back