• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where do i ship a muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eour yrs ago I tried to ship a LR w/ FedEx and they refused. Then went to USPS and they wouldn't ship it either. Talked to the Postmaster and she called 2 other Postmasters and they all agreed that they wouldn't ship it. Had our local Postmaster call the BATFE and they said that a MLer was exempt from firearms regulations and could be shipped unrestricted. She rec'd the regulations from the BATFE and inserted them into the postal regs. The last few LRs I shipped by USPS were processed w/o a problem, no questions were asked although they knew from previous shipments that they were MLers......Fred

If you want to ship UPS, you have to go to a Hub. UPS stores are privately owned and do not have to follow the UPS rules. Call UPS and ask them were the nearest hub is to you. Depending on your state laws, anyone can ship a longarm to a dealer or manufacturer. You do not have to have a FFL to do it. It cannot go to a private person. Pistols are a little differant. They cannot be shipped through the USPS unless a dealer ships it. UPS and FEDEX it can go 2nd day saver. It does not have to go overnight anymore. And there is NO laws that say you have to ship it over night. The whole overnight deal was because of the UPS an FEDEX employees were the ones stealing guns. It was meant to stop them from doing it as overnight, everyone that touches the parcel has to sign for it.

I have shipped and received MLs through all three channels listed and have had very little trouble. The only one who has questioned me was at USPS and she asked the postmaster if it could be shipped and was told to go ahead. The only thing they ask me when I send or receive anything anymore is "is it dangerous?". I just tell them that it isn't unless they swing it and hit someone or drop it on someone's foot, and dont get any hassle over anything. Now this is MLs, modern stuff is a whole nother and much more complicated ball game that isnt relevant to this forum.

Check Your State laws. Washingtons has changed since last year. Long ML's are OK, but BP pistols are now an FFL Item...I have no idea why, as no one has done a drive by with a ML pistol since the 1880's...I guess they think gangbangers are going to grab an 1858 Remy over their Glock....

Why would one feel the need to make up some goofy name or misleading name to send a legal product, through a legal conveyance ? Yep, make up some name and then if it gets broke in shipping , you don't think that would not muddy the waters when trying to get some payment ?. Why hide it ? It's a muzzleloader and they ship it legally . Period.

tomme boy said:
If you want to ship UPS, you have to go to a Hub. UPS stores are privately owned and do not have to follow the UPS rules. Call UPS and ask them were the nearest hub is to you. Depending on your state laws, anyone can ship a longarm to a dealer or manufacturer. You do not have to have a FFL to do it. It cannot go to a private person. Pistols are a little differant. They cannot be shipped through the USPS unless a dealer ships it. UPS and FEDEX it can go 2nd day saver. It does not have to go overnight anymore. And there is NO laws that say you have to ship it over night. The whole overnight deal was because of the UPS an FEDEX employees were the ones stealing guns. It was meant to stop them from doing it as overnight, everyone that touches the parcel has to sign for it.
Modern firearm rules do not apply to muzzleloaders. They can be shipped like any other parcel and by any shipper. You do not have to have an FFL or ship to one.

Don't let the ignorant countermonkeys at the local UPS or USPS counter off the hook. If they won't ship a blackpowder gun, they are wrong and need to know.

Birddog6 said:
It is still a rifle that requires a FFL license to ship.
Wrong. An individual can ship a modern firearm to an FFL, dealer or manufacturer.

Be Fore warned, Some States treat Muzzleloaders as Regular Firearms. Just because the Feds Say it is OK, some States have exercised their right to regulate what comes into and goes out of them. Check Cabela's website, under Muzzleloaders, and You will see the little Yellow box that says which States regulate them. It is not a blanket National law, that Muzzleloaders are not firearms. I am a Libertarian and do not agree with the Laws, but that will not keep me out of jail if I decide to ignore the Law....Just saying...Better safe than sorry..

If it is disassembled you ship it as 'Gun Parts' as that is what they are. It is NOT a whole firearm thus USPS has NO problem with parts. This was told to me by our area Postmaster.
You are not lying in this since it cannot be assembled and made to fire with out 'proper' training. At least in their eyes.

Have shipped many guns this way and they (USPS)have never flinched, questioned or turned me away.

Cheers, DonK

Where modern firearms are concerned, a reciever is considered a firearm and all laws apply. ie: FFL required. Just because the Postmaster said so does not change the law.Ask him to represent you in court and see how far that goes.

Dan Phariss said:
MeatStick said:
I have shipped both UPS and USPS and if its a bolt gun take the bolt out and hammer guns take the hammer off and you can honestly say it is gun parts. Never had a problem.

This is only legal if shipped to an FFL holder.
If you have a problem it will end your firearms ownership, probably forever. ANY violation of the federal gun laws is a felony and there is little chance of getting rights restored unless things have changed recently.

The part with a serial number IS the FIREARM.
So while you can send any other part the RECEIVER/FRAME is a FIREARM and is regulated as such. Don't matter if its stripped bare. Still a firearm under Federal law.
******** law, but its been in effect since 1968.

Dan

It is absolutely legal to send a long gun, modern or antique through the mail. Their only requirement is that it must be "unloaded". Look it up. NO modern handguns are allowed, they must go to an FFL with a certified carrier (UPS)

FFL's can ship pistols USPS. It may be cheaper to have them ship it, than you can. Depending on what the dealer will charge you.

from the USPS

“A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms

Except for one ML I shipped to a guy in Alaska where we used USPS because it was so much less expensive to Alaska, every other firearm I've ever shipped have been via UPS....probably a good 35-40 shipments over all the years.

I label them:
CONTENTS: Wood & Steel Muzzleloader Parts
I add insure and away they go.

I live in SC with pretty lenient gun regulations.... But even so, some folks behind the counter at USPS, UPS & Fed EX don't know the law, and don't know the difference between a ML and a modern rifle.

My solution...... (we have 3 post offices within 30 miles of me), when shipping, I choose a rural office where most of the PO folks are more accustomed to guns and are more likely to know the regulations for shipping. I also make it a point to get to know the folks day to day, so when they see me coming through the door with a long package they know I'm a legal, law-abiding customer.

Works for Me :v

I agree...... :thumbsup: But I still don't want to see someone go to jail simply because they were mislead by some incorrect information, be it a ML or a modern rifle. Shipping something improperly & getting away with it doesn't make it OK for others, it just means you have gotten away with it.

As for the GPR, box it up & ship it. It is perfectly legal to ship it that way in most states.

Keith Lisle

Cascade Pete said:
Be Fore warned, Some States treat Muzzleloaders as Regular Firearms. Just because the Feds Say it is OK, some States have exercised their right to regulate what comes into and goes out of them. Check Cabela's website, under Muzzleloaders, and You will see the little Yellow box that says which States regulate them. It is not a blanket National law, that Muzzleloaders are not firearms. I am a Libertarian and do not agree with the Laws, but that will not keep me out of jail if I decide to ignore the Law....Just saying...Better safe than sorry..
You better take the time to investagate what the little yella boxes are. I live in Michigan and we are in one of the boxes. I called Cabellas and all that they needed was a notarized proof of ID. I scanned the ID and with the notary mark and emailed it to Cabellas. I had my new pistol in 3 days. Now my id is on file and I can order any BP gun or item that they ship without question. This is a Cabellas thing. I have had many guns shipped to me from other locations without any problems. Be careful on making blanket statements.

Stumpkiller said:
"Machine Parts"

or

"Ball Delivery Unit"

or

"Hollow Tubular Steel Pipe Partially Encased Fibrous Cellulose Matrix"

I have not had a problem with Fed Ex or USPS.
I use "Machine Parts" myself but I do LOVE your "Ball Delivery Unit" discription :haha: :haha:

a few months ago i shippied a percussion pistol to a freind by usps and all they asked was is it perishable or a dagerous chemical . i just insured it heavy and sent it on its way . no problem

I've always just taken the barrel off the stock and shipped the stock seperate from the barrel,in two different packages. That way I've never had to check on " the yellow boxed areas"...never had any problems.. ever and I've shipped everywhere in the USA for years!

Back