• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where did he go

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had this deer here all summer, 50 yds from back door, deer season opens and he has gone into hiding
PICT0091 (2).JPG

Wow, that's a nice one. Those big bucks didn't get old and big by being dumb, that's for sure. Its like they have a sixth sense and know when its time to go into recluse mode...that is until some of the ladies start smelling sweet, then they seem to throw caution to the wind and show back up.

I agree with the wife. We have certainly "patterned" hunting season in the last half decade. Deer are used to cars/trucks. They see and hear em all the time. They see and hear 20x the # with the loud drunken camps on thursday nite and their mommies and daddies have taught them its time to go deeper in the woods and/or nocturnal.

Seriuosly, how else did he stop showing up? Unless of course he got shot. They know. Now the real question is how do the know the species thats in danger that thursday nite. We all see bulls n cows during deer season and bucks n does during elk season so how they know yer after THEM?o_O

My daughter has a game camera pointed out a front window

and every night there are three or four deer removing all her plants. When the sun comes up there areNO DEER and you will not find them
I agree with the wife. We have certainly "patterned" hunting season in the last half decade. Deer are used to cars/trucks. They see and hear em all the time. They see and hear 20x the # with the loud drunken camps on thursday nite and their mommies and daddies have taught them its time to go deeper in the woods and/or nocturnal.

Seriuosly, how else did he stop showing up? Unless of course he got shot. They know. Now the real question is how do the know the species thats in danger that thursday nite. We all see bulls n cows during deer season and bucks n does during elk season so how they know yer after THEM?o_O

Attachments

• 00000518.JPG
    00000518.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 65
They certainly know when the seasons open and close. Last year the last day of the season, one half hour after the end of legal shooting time, 9 deer came out of the edge of the woods in the field in back of my house.

I read a book years ago that had short stories on hunting. There was one in particular that an old Indian said that big bull go high. Did he mean they go to the spirit world?

Finally got this pic small enough to post. These deer were here all summer day and night. Wife took this picture behind the house. Come Sept. have not seen any. But they will be back out in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_0673 (2).JPG
    IMG_0673 (2).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 54
I ride horses in Buchanan state forest in southern PA. I see deer that just lay there and watch us ride by. I guess on back of a horse you get to see from a different elevation. Them jaybirds are always there.

Never hunted mulies but if they are like the big whitetails where I hunt, And the lady deer get all pretty around this time of the year the big boys will travel miles looking for a date. Perhaps he decided to go on a walk about.

My experience is they come to salt and minerals good during the summer, but that falls of drastically in the fall usually. They also have different feeding habits between summer and fall. He isn't super far away I'll bet, just not coming to the mineral block right now.
We can't hunt over salt/minerals in Idaho, but I use them in the summer with a game camera to see what's around and then again after the season closes to see what survived. Actual season is October and November, but my camera pics on mineral blocks usually drop way off about mid September. Then when I put them back out in December I don't see them start coming to it very good again until we get some snow. That seems to really get them coming to it again until there's so much snow that they move to lower areas until Spring.

My wife believes they know when hunting season begins and the smart ones go and hide.
I believe the issue is they are told...by us.
The sudden increase of noisy smelly people stumbling through the woods indicates that something has changed, which changes their patterns. So in essence, they are doing what prey naturally does when they are alarmed.

I believe the issue is they are told...by us.
The sudden increase of noisy smelly people stumbling through the woods indicates that something has changed, which changes their patterns. So in essence, they are doing what prey naturally does when they are alarmed.

I made the mistake of showing your post to the wife, now she is going around saying,( see I told you so )But that does make sense.

The bigger and older a buck gets, the wiser they get. I'm sure he's learned to hide during the day. The only chance would be to find his hiding spot; and those hiding spots can be ridiculously small.

I always wondered why I walk up on doe’ s all season... until I decide to shoot one, then I don’t see them anymore either?

Back