• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where can I find black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
Recently, I've been in the market for a black powder gun and accessories for my upcoming birthday. I've had no issue finding what I wanted except for black powder. Everywhere I look, it seems to be sold out everywhere! I'm thinking of making some, but if I can find some online that would be nice as well. Any suggestions on what I should do y'all?

Grafs or Powder Inc. usually have something in stock. It makes sense to order at least 5# to keep the cost per pound down due to shipping and hazmat fees. If you have a percussion gun Pyrodex is more readily available but most of us prefer real black powder.

The key is to try often. Currently, distributors are running out very quickly. So try every day and multiple times a day.

Is Graf’s powder any good? I’ve heard of them briefly but nowhere near as much as Swiss or Goex.

People seem to have been ordering from Graf's successfully for the past several months. I got 3 lbs of 3F Schuetzen from them a couple of months ago. They sell Schuetzen and Swiss in addition to their own brand (though Swiss seems to be pretty scarce or unavailable lately).

I placed an order for Graf's powder almost a year ago before the craziness started. At that time Graf's powder was manufactured by Goex. The way supplies are now just get any BP brand you can afford and keep shooting.

If you look at the bottom of the label on the Graf brand containers, as on the web site, it says "Mfg. by Wano Schwartzpulver GmbH, Kunigunde, Germany". Information on this company is here: http://www.wano.de/

Wano makes Schuetzen powder too.
Yes, but this gets a bit tricky.

It appears that Schuetzen (in the form of Schuetzen Power Energetics, Inc.) is a kind of umbrella company that's a joint venture between WANO and Petro-Explo, Inc. to provide a broad range of black powder products for military, recreational, and industrial purposes. But these various powders are manufactured in different facilities and may involve different manufacturing processes and materials (e.g., the type of charcoal used).

In addition, Schuetzen also markets Swiss (brand) black powder. But that in fact is produced in yet another factory in (surprise) Switzerland: Poudrerie d'Aubonne (and check out how many production employees this company has 😂).

So it appears that Shuetzen Powder Energetics is a Texas company (located in Arlington, TX) that acts as a marketing and import/export company for these variously manufactured black powders. It seems to be located in a small building directly across the street from Mindy Lu's Pies. Its "Products and Services" are described on one business site as " black powder, blackpowder, elephant, swiss, swiss black powder, elephant black powder, schuetzen, schuetzen black powdershooting, muzzleloaders, muzzle loading, muzzleloading, hunting, cartridge, supplies, bullets, antique firearems, cowboy, single shot, german". And it appears also to be operating (surprise!) in the same location as Petro-Explo Inc. So it looks like Petro-Explo is just another (small) corporation for the purpose of marketing industrial black powder explosives made in the same Swiss and German factories as the ones we stuff down our barrels.

All kind of interesting, and it makes the world of black powder production look even a bit smaller than I thought it was. :rolleyes:

If you look at the bottom of the label on the Graf brand containers, as on the web site, it says "Mfg. by Wano Schwartzpulver GmbH, Kunigunde, Germany". Information on this company is here: http://www.wano.de/
Yep Graf powder is wano .
Hi Wano is the mostly the only powder we can get in Australia Swiss can be found but is hard find. Cheers

The best way to get black powder is to go in with some friends and order a case to spread out the shipping and hazmat fees. Shipping and hazmat fees eat up up on small orders.

Back