• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where Are the Hare??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
BrownBear has been kind enough to provide a new recipe but we need another Hare to fill the pot.

Yesterday loaded up and headed out on our Alaskan Mule-et. The temperature was a very pleasant +11 degrees. Unfortunately the wind kicked up (30-35mph) which raised the wind chill factor a bit. Properly dressed, not a problem.

Found a spot fairly well protected from the wind. Cooked a breakfast of scrambled eggs and ham bits; as the sun rose at 1030am. Had to eat quickly before the hot food froze.

Loaded and capped, headed out across the countryside. Lot of deadfall! The ones in the photo are the smallest. That is the Alaska Range Mt in the background with the moon above.

Not a problem to find where the Hare have been and what they are feeding on. The bright spots on the stalks are where the bark has been eaten.

Next solution to be found is to locate exactly where the Hare are NOW and/or how to get them out from under the large deadfall piles. It is mighty slippery footing and I am old. :haha:

At the end of the day, nothing in the game bag but a mighty fine day afield! Maybe next time.
Best Wishes
WWride.jpg

Something I wanna do Before I die is visit Alaska.Looks Beatifull! :thumbsup:

Snowshoe hare are mighty fine eating. Back about 2000 or 2001, can't remember which we didn't get snow until real late. The hare all turned white but there was no snow for them to hide. We hunted an area on the Matanuska River flats that was covered up with snowshoe hares. The poor buggers didn't stand a chance being white against a dark terrain. We bagged'em swift and easy and put on a heck of a feast. I can't wait to get back up north where I belong.

HD

Back