• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where are all you Aussies and Kiwis!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Widows Son, I'm an archaeologist working mostly in the colonial period, so my interests lie mostly in late 18th to early 19th centuries. I prefer flintlock musket in theory so far but haven't yet opportunity to explore other areas.

ps. 'Widows Son' reminds me of a particular other interest in my life but have had to resign from the chair a few years back due to family responsibilities. Would I be correct in thinking you're a part of it to?

"Here's to the Sons of the Widow wherever and however they roam,
Here's all they desire and if they require,
A speedy return to their home" (Rudyard Kipling) The Festive Board.

So Mote it be.

Flintlock and roundball is where I'm definitly at mate. I study the period a lot for my job as an archaeologist, which has been what has 'sparked' up this interest to start. I used to shoot when I was a kid and teenager, but modern 22, 303, 308, but now older I want to simplify and get back to omething historical in nature but it's been near twenty years since I've shot anything so starting with the training session at Sydney Colonial Muzzleloading CLub sounds the best way for me to start.

Please pass on my best regards to my Brother "Swift Hawk" Peter Hawkey et al.

Hi B.Wharton,

You mention the range at Sydney Colonial Muzzle Loading Club there are also two other clubs that are within your reach that you may not be aware of one at Silverdale and the other at Bathurst.

Peter B.

I always thought archaeology would have been an incredible job, to dig through old carthage would be one of my life's highlights!

Don't underestimate them, they're good at killing, the old sphere of lead!

View attachment 105386

View attachment 105387
Great looking rifle, love the curly wood. And that water buffalo is HUGE! Hope it's all good eating.
Do you the the rabbit also? Looks like a fine large fellow.

"Here's to the Sons of the Widow wherever and however they roam,
Here's all they desire and if they require,
A speedy return to their home" (Rudyard Kipling) The Festive Board.

So Mote it be.
Lovely to meet you Brother, So Mote It Be, happy do we meet, happy do we part, happy to meet again, till our next happy meeting! PM (resigned) Australian Lodge of Fidelity No. 101 UGL NSW & ACT

There was a bit on NZ TV news about a dig at a new sight , The archaeologist held up a musket flint and said " and this is a little flint knife that the Maori would have used for dressing flax , ,I think we need you out here . I have identified Bess parts and various different flints for archaeologists who ask first and get on the TV second .
Yep I've seen a few things like this happen - and filmed for news TV! If you can, I'd suggest contacting them about it, it is something archaeologists are very open to because there is more joy in gaining knowledge than holding face. 99.99% archaeologists I'd say.

I always thought archaeology would have been an incredible job, to dig through old carthage would be one of my life's highlights!

Don't underestimate them, they're good at killing, the old sphere of lead!

View attachment 105386

View attachment 105387
Certainly is an intersting job. I've come to it later in life than most of my colleages after a good run of a bit of farming, fitter & turner, draughtsman, etc it's all come together now in this work!

What are "gel blasters"? And to this old bloke, Sorry all your firearms have been confiscated. Does no one hunt any more?
Craig,
Gel blasters are firearms that fire a gelatine, or similar projectile and can be used for shooting games and they can hurt but not as much as the similar paint ball guns.
They are classified as firearms.
All our firearms have not been confiscated, in fact there are now more firearms in private hands since the introduction of licensing for long arms, pistols have been licenced for 90 years or so.
There are now more gun clubs, more pistol clubs and more ranges; the Government having made it a requirement of holding a licence that one must belong to a club and range shoot regularly, was morally obliged to give funds for refurbishing old ranges and building new ones.

Hunting is alive and well, deer hunting is regulated and kangaroos cannot be hunted, but hunting ‘roos is ‘shooting gaiiery’ stuff as they are one of the stupidest animals on the planet.

Lovely to meet you Brother, So Mote It Be, happy do we meet, happy do we part, happy to meet again, till our next happy meeting! PM (resigned) Australian Lodge of Fidelity No. 101 UGL NSW & ACT

Services Memorial Lodge 303 QLD
Rose Croix
Royal Arch.

Sadly I don't get to attend these days, too far away from the nearest Lodge.

Craig,
Gel blasters are firearms that fire a gelatine, or similar projectile and can be used for shooting games and they can hurt but not as much as the similar paint ball guns.
They are classified as firearms.
All our firearms have not been confiscated, in fact there are now more firearms in private hands since the introduction of licensing for long arms, pistols have been licenced for 90 years or so.
There are now more gun clubs, more pistol clubs and more ranges; the Government having made it a requirement of holding a licence that one must belong to a club and range shoot regularly, was morally obliged to give funds for refurbishing old ranges and building new ones.

Hunting is alive and well, deer hunting is regulated and kangaroos cannot be hunted, but hunting ‘roos is ‘shooting gaiiery’ stuff as they are one of the stupidest animals on the planet.

As a LAFO (Law Abiding Firearms Owner) I can attest to all the above, to my American friends please dont believe all the BS you hear and read about "no guns" in Australia.
In fact we have more women in Australia of all age groups owning Firearms than ever before, and theyre very active at our firing ranges.
Additionally we have Members of Parliament who are openly Firearms owners, and represent us whenever the anti-gun crazies make noises.

Currently since the Police balls up & granted a Terrorist (Though warned by the gun clubs he was loopy & fanasized mowing down Muslims )The Police didn't follow thier Own vetting rules so 51 killed in CH Ch& Its strieght Off . we the Licenced gun owners are blamed demonised ,Villified,& utterly ingnored . while the avowed Communist PM forces an 8 day "Under Emergency" gun Buy back / confiscation of all Semi autos Not that I had any But am concerned at the blatent injustice we now suffer . Long delayed Royal Commision enquiry findings ignored or Sequestered for 30 years . 'Stacked Deck' sums it up . but their is strong objection & the sods will likley lose the next election . Oh they created a Police Sate too No need trouble Parliment just do as They see fit . Brave New bleeding World .".
. Rudyard

As a young man I worked in Western Australia helping out on a sheep station
that also grew wheat. I ran the night shift on a wide-line harrow. In NSW I
worked at Emery Industries as a Chemist and weekends at the
RSL club (Chester Hill) as a drink waiter. That was back in early 1970s--fantastic
place in those days. As an American I was treated like royalty and loved it.
Today, I am fearful of the threat of the Communist Chinese harming Australia.
If the Australian Government has any brains they will increase gun ownership
and teach everyone to use them. China needs land and
resources and Australia has what they need. Enough said. Love and Prayers to
all our friends down under.

Last edited:
Knowing something of the varios Australian States They seem determined to discourage the gun ownership. I overlanded out from UK to Ceylon then took passage to Freemantle landed with three pounds to my name but made out in Dampier on the Iron ore town ship .WA isn,t noted for pro gun attitudes they just ignored my enquiry but that was 1966. You are right re China but the Burkets who pose as polititions don't seem to understand . They have Emu's ,But they seem to be a bit more like Ostriges' putting there heads in the sand .Im'e in New Zealand but same anti gun picture .You never see Chinees at a rifle range but I gather they all get gun liscences . Maybe some grand plan fifft collumn . I do hope Im'e way off & wrong but I cant' trust thier leadership. But then you have Bidon and other loony leftists . Not a good look.
Regards Rudyard

Currently since the Police balls up & granted a Terrorist (Though warned by the gun clubs he was loopy & fanasized mowing down Muslims )The Police didn't follow thier Own vetting rules so 51 killed in CH Ch& Its strieght Off . we the Licenced gun owners are blamed demonised ,Villified,& utterly ingnored . while the avowed Communist PM forces an 8 day "Under Emergency" gun Buy back / confiscation of all Semi autos Not that I had any But am concerned at the blatent injustice we now suffer . Long delayed Royal Commision enquiry findings ignored or Sequestered for 30 years . 'Stacked Deck' sums it up . but their is strong objection & the sods will likley lose the next election . Oh they created a Police Sate too No need trouble Parliment just do as They see fit . Brave New bleeding World .".
. Rudyard

Its obvious by the huge protest marches against Covid mandates in every capital city that the majority of Aussies are done with the two major political parties and insane Greens, the 3 now growing independant Parties will probably hold the power in the Federal election due before May next year.

I don't underestimate them my flinters are .40 ,.50, .54 . .60 and .62 My wheellock is .50 and my matchlock is .60 .
Your Wheellocks 54 but thats a minor point . I don't mean to pick you up but I remember such things . Sydney Colonial Muzzle loaders I remember John Kell and Roger Honey & Lynton Mackenzie had just left for UK but I met him at the MLAGB shoots & later in the US at Friendship shoots. I made a nice the' pea picker' long rifle for Doug Murray in Echuca but I think he on sold it to the Sherriff of Wangaratta Who gave me a lift one time . After Neiritter ? cant recall but 'pea picker ' carved or on the tool box lid . Not a Beck I made them too maybe they are known to your group ? Iv'e made Lancasters plus After Herman Rupp & Peter Brong new one on me but patron sent me the stock & barrel & I made to his photoe . I don't actually like long rifles too heavy . I prefer English style or even Turkish styles But mostly I like 17c stuff or earlier cant send guns due to this worthless govts meddling OH I made a Cap lock Bedford and can make a caplock Armstrong in 45 42" brl but how you could get it ? took back on a visit ?. Choice of brass or GS mounts RH only could be flint . Im'e 77 Hurry while stockers last ! . I travelled a lot in Australia I overlanded out in 1966 got relis in Dubbo or Bourke one of them .Echuca was my second home at one time into steam ships Steam & black powder are related both cranky annacranisums that need be coaxed & jollied to get the best of them !.
Regards Rudyard But into Banjo Patterson too

Your Wheellocks 54 but thats a minor point . I don't mean to pick you up but I remember such things . Sydney Colonial Muzzle loaders I remember John Kell and Roger Honey & Lynton Mackenzie had just left for UK but I met him at the MLAGB shoots & later in the US at Friendship shoots. I made a nice the' pea picker' long rifle for Doug Murray in Echuca but I think he on sold it to the Sherriff of Wangaratta Who gave me a lift one time . After Neiritter ? cant recall but 'pea picker ' carved or on the tool box lid . Not a Beck I made them too maybe they are known to your group ? Iv'e made Lancasters plus After Herman Rupp & Peter Brong new one on me but patron sent me the stock & barrel & I made to his photoe . I don't actually like long rifles too heavy . I prefer English style or even Turkish styles But mostly I like 17c stuff or earlier cant send guns due to this worthless govts meddling OH I made a Cap lock Bedford and can make a caplock Armstrong in 45 42" brl but how you could get it ? took back on a visit ?. Choice of brass or GS mounts RH only could be flint . Im'e 77 Hurry while stockers last ! . I travelled a lot in Australia I overlanded out in 1966 got relis in Dubbo or Bourke one of them .Echuca was my second home at one time into steam ships Steam & black powder are related both cranky annacranisums that need be coaxed & jollied to get the best of them !.
Regards Rudyard But into Banjo Patterson too

I remember John Kell very well mate, met him up on the SCML range at Hawkesbury in the 80's, and visited his place a few times; he had a great collection of BP artifacts.
You might remember John had a Red Cattle Dog, I gave him and Peter H a pup each when I was breeding them.

Coinneach,
John Kell and I were best mates for many years up till his death.
We hunted a lot together and the Colonial Muzzle-loading Club (later SCMLC) was formed at a meeting at his home.
I’m still in contact with his wife, Enid and the family, down to his great-grand-daughter.
Enid recently went to a nursing home after a bad fall.
I got a red cattle dog pup from John, probably came from your one. 7BE7A4C5-CFBE-486B-9D1C-9C86A13B15C3.jpeg
John Kell ,left, and John Ramsay at Hill End NSW when the Cobb and Co reenactment coach run went through.

Hi Folks, great to see the name John Kell pop up here, sad to hear Enid is not travelling well. John was a great help to me (And many others) when I started off in shooting by purchasing my first muzzle loader in the early 90's ensuring I did not fall into the regular newby traps.

Latest posts

Back