• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where are all you Aussies and Kiwis!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate. It may be around Brisbane but that’s 3 hours south of me.
My local SSAA branch has a small but lively rendezvous group but we just meet once a month. There is another black powder bunch in the club but the are more into bp cartridges. Good bunch of blokes though.

I'me pleased your happy with QLD gun laws But there where no gun laws other than for modern pistols. Then they brought in antigun laws so I lost three guns I kept on a friends Cattle Station a 38 ML percussion & flint 40 cal & a double 3&1/4" 500 PB Express by Lang . They had to go to a dealer & got sold off for peanuts well the 40 cal flint did I posted home the 38 & placed the Express reasonably.
I see Fraser Island not that far from Brisbane & Normanton is practically in the Gulf. Searles sold the 40 cal Beech stocked wooden tool box Jager looking affair dragon side plate & New England militia lock marked London (Quite inappropiate was my first rifle I made ) delcour 1" brl nothing much with ball but shot well with a patched picket . Stock takes down in two . proof mark is a row of bears ! (My cutlery mark) . Anyway welcome to the Forums . Rudyard

This is a muzzleloading gun forum so I will ask all of you to keep the questions and reply's directed towards that subject. In other words, please stop talking about the laws that deal with modern cartridge guns. Discussing them and the laws that deal with them on the forum is against the forum rules.

In other words, let's get back to talking about "where are all you Aussies and Kiwis located?".

Hi there guess i'm a neighbor just a 100 or so kays up the road in Bundaberg.

Theres a few of us in NZ. Here in northland theres a strong BP club and two or three of us build our own guns from scratch ( and I dont mean kits ). What exactly are you into?
*waving across the Tasman*
A lifetime ago when I lived in the States I was fascinated by the colonial period and collected accoutrements and skills of that era. I did trekking and hunting in an 18th century manner and learned a lot from Mark Baker, whom was a regular writer at the time for Muzzleloader magazine.
When I immigrated to Oz I had to leave my gear behind. I considered bringing my rifle “Abraham “ a .50 Pennsylvania longrifle flintlock But I was too confused by the gun laws and import customs stuff.
I hardly fired a shot for 20 years after that but I finally got it together again and joined my local SSAA club.
I don’t portray a historical character or trek anymore, just target shooting. Though I do that in a traditional way as I can.

A life time ago you could post or bring in such a gun I did .Though some burocrat in the Immigration might tell you you cant As happened to a local Ex pat American but he could have done . When I first landed in NZ I had a 303 unmentionable and a flintlock rifle of my make I declared them they where taken into Auckland Police HQ where I duly went to collect them . The officer cocked the BL tapped it with a hammer shaft then happy with that he looked at the flintlock it was clearly unfinished & I showed my UK Firearms certificate He looked at it and said "How far will it shoot? about 80 yards ? " I started to explain but he just said some thing like" We don't licence knifes & forks" He gave me a licence for the BL and away I went .
Regards Rudyard

"...
" We don't licence knifes & forks" He gave me a licence for the BL and away I went .
Regards Rudyard "

Often, it is better to let the ignorant remain so rather than educating them as your experience proves.

Hi all. Been a member of this forum for a few years now and not posted in this section.
Anyway, I'm in the Upper Hunter region of NSW. Chrisper on here pretty much helped me get going into muzzleloaders in around 2012 I think. I'm a bit of a Pedersoli fan, currently own a .54 Tryon, Mortimer percussion 12g, a newly acquired 10 gauge SxS with a 20g SxS flintlock literally in the mail.
Peter

Nice collection Peter.
I moved from Coolah a couple of years ago which is not that far away. Shame we didn't meet up.
I had a place with deer not far away.
Up in the Gulf now.
Only got one Pedersoli myself and only got it recently. Not even sighted in (shoots way low).

Hi all. Been a member of this forum for a few years now and not posted in this section.
Anyway, I'm in the Upper Hunter region of NSW. Chrisper on here pretty much helped me get going into muzzleloaders in around 2012 I think. I'm a bit of a Pedersoli fan, currently own a .54 Tryon, Mortimer percussion 12g, a newly acquired 10 gauge SxS with a 20g SxS flintlock literally in the mail.
Peter
Welcome Peter, good to hear from you. I am in the New England area. Would love to see an image of your flintlock when it arrives mate :)
Regards, Keith.

Im just down the road near Muswellbrook. I should hopefully have the 20g SxS within the next couple of weeks. The funny thing is when doing my research, besides Cap and Balls youtube review, all comments on here were negative. I really like the look of it.

While recognising your right to an opinion, might I ask if you've been to Australia? Perhaps tried to shoot and had some terrible experience? I've been shooting here for 55 years, pistols, rifles and guns; modern and historic without thinking I'm oppressed or limited. The quality of elected representatives and police must always be monitored but I think your swipe was odd coming from the glass house in the the shadow of Brexit.

J

I have found the same mentality from nearly every foreigner I've spoken with, which has been more than most Americans due to my associations with the International Club in college. I can tell you, none of the burka-clad Muslim women I met during my time in Asia thought they were "oppressed" even though when I sat down at the opposite end of the couch, they got up and moved to another seat.

If a person is not allowed to defend their life however they chose, then their right to life is infringed. If a person tells me "they have a right to life" but do not have the right to defend their life, then their "right to life" is an illusion.

It's rather like the cat owner who says "they love their cat" but then has the cat declawed. This person doesn't love their cat.....a declawed cat can neither defend itself nor climb a tree to escape. That owner loves their furniture more.

I have not been to Australia although I planned a business trip there in 2010. I bought a book on poisonous critters and looked into what ski resorts to visit as I was an avid skier at the time. I most certainly would have tried to go shooting while there, in whatever capacity possible.

I was in Indonesia in 2018 and a friend of my girlfriend invited me to a shooting range. I was on board until I saw the price! $150.00 to rent a Browning Hi Power.....I just couldn't do it, not when I can shoot my own for much, much less at home. I did hit the air gun range with my GF the day after we visited Krakatoa Volcano. The range was a bit lacking on safety instruction but I saw nothing dangerous. The clerk seemed impressed I owned the "real version of this" when he was giving me instructions in Bahasa. My GF's groups were a bit tighter than mine but I shot well. I was rather fearful my not shooting in years would show but it did not. :ghostly:

If I ever get to Australia, maybe I can look you up and us go shooting. Dinner is on me afterwards.

Last edited:
Kia Ora from NZ.
I'm absolutely hopless at social media.
Hopefully these pictures come through, & you guys & gals enjoy them
.keep your powder dry everyone 👍
Nga Mihi
Mac

Attachments

• 20210308_152004.jpg
    20210308_152004.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210221_182343.jpg
    20210221_182343.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20201022_224646.jpg
    20201022_224646.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 94
So here I am in North island NZ after leaving the UK years ago (best thing I ever did ) an a relatively strong M/L community and enjoying every minute making lots of smoak and smell!

Hi , I am from Whanganui NZ and I have shot in Aus ( Adelaide) and made some good friends there even bought a rifle (Lancaster pattern) from the then GRRW a match winner .. anyone want to talk flinters I am here
Feel free to post on flinters OT, I am sure you will see some interest.
Regards, Keith.

Back