• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where are all you Aussies and Kiwis!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Hi ,I am Ian and live in Harden in New South Wales

I am coming back to black after 20 years Had a percussion Hawken but thats long gone, , but now looking at a Pedersoli Scout in 45 and flint

I reckon the flint will pay for itself being available at a reasonable cost there are little to no caps available in australia.

I am coming back to black after 20 years Had a percussion Hawken but thats long gone, , but now looking at a Pedersoli Scout in 45 and flint

I reckon the flint will pay for itself being available at a reasonable cost there are little to no caps available in australia.
It seems the cap situation is also true of NZ I use mostly flint anyway but you have to wonder if its all anti gun sceaming wherever we are . Rudyard

HI Mate
I am in Leeton. Just around the corner.
There are little to no primers of any type and even fewer flints. With the USPS limiting parcels flints are hard to acquire from the US.
Get onto Rebel Gun Works in Brizzie. Not sure about any place closer.

I'm in SE Qld, no idea why Caps are in such short supply, theres still some around if you search around; I was lucky to find a box of 2500 No1075 RWS German brand Caps from the Ipswich SSAA shop and Im hanging on to them.

I mainly use Flintlocks, and stockpiled Brandon Flints over the years when they were available, but Flints have got expensive and difficult to find now too.

HI Mate
I am in Leeton. Just around the corner.
There are little to no primers of any type and even fewer flints. With the USPS limiting parcels flints are hard to acquire from the US.
Get onto Rebel Gun Works in Brizzie. Not sure about any place closer.
Well hi too Lawrance. .

Powder I can get from Combat sims in Camden , as I get up that way a fair bit.

I also have my eye on a old CVA Kentucky caplock so Just emailed Rebel. to see if they can send me some caps , they were using TNT who have stopped doing DG .

Last edited:
Rebel are dynamite on pricing...not in the good way. $12 per flint last I saw. They were trying to sell them for $17 at one point.

I bought a lyman 57SML sight off them once, the "last one in stock". Cost me $300 shipped to Vic, when I opened it the sight had scratches on it and burring on the screws. Clearly not new. Don't get me wrong its functional but i have and will continue to take my money elsewhere since then.

Yes aware of the fact they can be expensive Most Firearm stores in Australia are.

Did you speak to them about the condition the sight had arrived in.
Nah, as I said it was functional. I thought about contacting them but even if they offered to refund me that's not what I wanted because there was nothing else available here or online in the states. It's more the principle for me.

That speaks to the reason why customer service in Australia is often left wanting. We have few options and sellers know it.

Rebel are dynamite on pricing...not in the good way. $12 per flint last I saw. They were trying to sell them for $17 at one point.

I bought a lyman 57SML sight off them once, the "last one in stock". Cost me $300 shipped to Vic, when I opened it the sight had scratches on it and burring on the screws. Clearly not new. Don't get me wrong its functional but i have and will continue to take my money elsewhere since then.

Yep RGW are Sharks, they use to be reasonable enough a decade or so ago but although still in the same hands have really become extortionate.

Nah, as I said it was functional. I thought about contacting them but even if they offered to refund me that's not what I wanted because there was nothing else available here or online in the states. It's more the principle for me.

That speaks to the reason why customer service in Australia is often left wanting. We have few options and sellers know it.

And the some of the reliable suppliers in USA like TOW arent interested in accepting orders from Australians any more. I've ordered a wide range of ML items from TOW since the 80's with good responses, but as of late last year they told me they werent accepting order from Australia any more.

And the some of the reliable suppliers in USA like TOW arent interested in accepting orders from Australians any more. I've ordered a wide range of ML items from TOW since the 80's with good responses, but as of late last year they told me they werent accepting order from Australia any more.
Really? I didn't know that, bloody poor.

The isolation of being down in this part of the world is bloody frustrating.

It's funny when you see guys stateside complaining about prices of fuel and black powder etc. People would fall over at the cost of living expenses and more importantly black powder here!

Mind you I'm picking up some Swiss on Wednesday and it's the same price as Wano, go figure.

Really? I didn't know that, bloody poor.

The isolation of being down in this part of the world is bloody frustrating.

It's funny when you see guys stateside complaining about prices of fuel and black powder etc. People would fall over at the cost of living expenses and more importantly black powder here!

Mind you I'm picking up some Swiss on Wednesday and it's the same price as Wano, go figure.

Fortunately I have a long term friend in the USA who can order things on my behalf, postal from there to here is still expensive but its the only avenue left to us nowadays.

Fortunately I have a long term friend in the USA who can order things on my behalf, postal from there to here is still expensive but its the only avenue left to us nowadays.
No kidding, been looking at a knife. $75 USD for shipping priority, which is about $110 our money. More expensive than the bloody knife!

No kidding, been looking at a knife. $75 USD for shipping priority, which is about $110 our money. More expensive than the bloody knife!

Yep its like that I only order small stuff like 3 Coning tools, and bits and pieces.

I plan to order a Pecatonica River kit some time next year, and have to accept whatever the freight charges will be.
It will probably be the last ML kit I'll build so why not ?

Hm I emailed TOW Just before I saw your note to ask if they are or not . If you look at the shipping in the cart It will allow you to select us again.
I will wave an order flag when I am putting an order in. (Not this month I am wragling registry, I have had my transfer in since early march and decided to ring them, According to the nice lady I had not submitted it but had saved it as a draft so I have to sort that out so they can move it along. Later this evening.

Yep its like that I only order small stuff like 3 Coning tools, and bits and pieces.

I plan to order a Pecatonica River kit some time next year, and have to accept whatever the freight charges will be.
It will probably be the last ML kit I'll build so why not ?
What kit will you be doing?

I think I'll have to do a kit myself next year, just not sure what.

I think I'd like a 58 rifled gun, would love to do a chambers Edward Marshall rifle over anything but a chambers kit might be more than I can chew off the bat.

In Vic we have something like 2 weeks to put a kit together legally I believe.

What kit will you be doing?

I think I'll have to do a kit myself next year, just not sure what.

I think I'd like a 58 rifled gun, would love to do a chambers Edward Marshall rifle over anything but a chambers kit might be more than I can chew off the bat.

In Vic we have something like 2 weeks to put a kit together legally I believe.
I'm currently doing a Jim Chambers Isaac Haines FL (LH) in .50 with a swamped barrel, (on hold for now) but will probably order the Virginia LH FL kit in .45 from Pecatonica next year.

Whats the Vic 2 weeks assembly rule all about ?

I'm currently doing a Jim Chambers Isaac Haines FL (LH) in .50 with a swamped barrel, (on hold for now) but will probably order the Virginia LH FL kit in .45 from Pecatonica next year.

Whats the Vic 2 weeks assembly rule all about ?
No idea,

I spoke to Roger Mowbray at Pedersoli Australia because he's brought in kits for people before and said you have 14 days to show them to customs in a finished form.

I pushed' sad' because such bumph & noodledom prevailes in these regions .What are we liable to do with a muzzle loader kit or any muzzle loader ? its just burocratic anti gun twaddle drempt up by mindless & ignorant burocrats.
I once stopped of in Sydney with an original Needle fire Rook rifle & a original Double rifle any child in UK could own Yet Sydney where postivly hostile wouldnt let me take with me & later on return to collect my guns they where seethingly hostile Like I was Bin Laden triede to waffle out of it . But stuff them I persisted .They escourt me to the check in & I land in NZ the customs say ' fine by us & see the police ' I do they say "What you got this time ?" and write me an import permit & off I go . But now we have a loony left govt who dream up all the anti gun feasies they can. No sense just official negativity .Brave New World ? P on it. Oh I queried this nonsence with the Police in Sydney I was told al long guns of any age require a liscence But any pre 1900 pistols was freely collected ? Go figure .But then Each Australian State seems to vie with each other to bring about the silliest laws .I used to keep guns at a cattle Station near Surat then QLD bring out anti gun laws that cost me a flint 40 cal & a Double Rifled 500 3" BP Express by Lang no logical reason just some political ' Look good'' Doing Some thing' cock. The 40 cal flint has London or its original lock & a row of stamped bears on the breach end of the barrel wooded patch bow draggon side plate pretty ropey but was my first rifle I made .& shot a patched picket conical like a 451. It went Via Searles gun shop in Brisbane . mostly curious where it went Regards Rudyard
Rudyard

No idea,

I spoke to Roger Mowbray at Pedersoli Australia because he's brought in kits for people before and said you have 14 days to show them to customs in a finished form.

The woman who answered the call I made to Pedersoli Aust some months ago, told me that anyone who ordered a kit in from USA had to get a Gunsmith or Dealer to assemble the kit (eg Pedersoli Aust) but because I'm in Qld didnt follow up on Mowbray he being in Vic.

On checking with the Qld WLB I was told its not the case here, all we need is a Qld Police approval to import the kit and no other commercial party is involved.
BP ML's arent a "subject of interest" here in Qld.

I dont know anything about Mowbray, but I suspect Vic Gun dealers have lobbied the Vic govt to make things tough for people legally importing BP ML's; and coincidentally setting themselves up as a third party commercial interest.

Latest posts

Back