• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where are all you Aussies and Kiwis!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here I am in North island NZ after leaving the UK years ago (best thing I ever did ) an a relatively strong M/L community and enjoying every minute making lots of smoak and smell!
I left the UK years ago too Ezeikel, I only wish I had settled in NZ instead of Australia. Welcome to this forum.
Regards, Keith.

They just categorized Gel blasters as firearms in Qld. Now a Gel Blaster requires the same rigmoral as any other projectile dispensing weapon except a bow.
So which but of Queensland you hail from? I am in Normanton.
Yes Lawrence, now when the police say they confiscated firearms, we don't know if they are talking about gel blasters or REAL guns!!!

Hello Oldtrobh, I'm in the home country,and do speek a fair bit of Flintlocease. I have shot with Rudyard for about 60 years. Shot F/L & Caplock all over UK and Europe . A couple of times in RSA. Have never been to Oz but son live down in the S.E. corner. Missed out on a trip last July owing to a tumble.. Like Rudyard - PM any time.. The Greenswlde Should read GREENSWYLDE..OLD DOG
Welcome GW. Where in the Old Country do you live?
Regards, Keith.

This is a muzzleloading gun forum so I will ask all of you to keep the questions and reply's directed towards that subject. In other words, please stop talking about the laws that deal with modern cartridge guns. Discussing them and the laws that deal with them on the forum is against the forum rules.

In other words, let's get back to talking about "where are all you Aussies and Kiwis located?".
As an American, why does this matter to you so much Zonie? We are Aussies & NZs connecting here & enjoying the exchange. Perhaps you could change the name of OUR forum to suit our needs? OR perhaps we would be Allowed to start a new thread entitled Off Topic Discussions?
With respect & regards, Keith.

As an American, why does this matter to you so much Zonie? We are Aussies & NZs connecting here & enjoying the exchange. Perhaps you could change the name of OUR forum to suit our needs? OR perhaps we would be Allowed to start a new thread entitled Off Topic Discussions?
With respect & regards, Keith.
Because this is a Muzzle loading forum and political discussions or discussions of modern cartridge guns is not permitted outside of the Premium Members areas of the forum.
As you are a MLF Supporter, you should be aware that we already have a Non-Muzzleloading discussion area in the Premium Member section and you may post in those non-muzzleloading areas.

The Regional area of the forum is to give the members a place to post about the areas they live in and the muzzleloading guns and cap & ball pistols they have and shoot. It is a place to get to know each other.

Hi all,

I'm a new member on the forum, I'm from the Blue Mountains in New South Wales. I'm looking to get into blackpowder. Does anyone here shoot at Katoomba or Mudgee?

Cheers,
Ben

Hi all,

I'm a new member on the forum, I'm from the Blue Mountains in New South Wales. I'm looking to get into blackpowder. Does anyone here shoot at Katoomba or Mudgee?

Cheers,
Ben

I'm Vic so no help there, but I will say I've never met another BP shooter face to face and have still managed to get all the information I needed from forums. Having said that I'm a hunter not a target shooter. But there is a plethora of information available and plenty of people willing to share.

Ben,
Welcome aboard; your nearest club would probably be the Sydney Colonial Muzzle-ioading Club
They are at Sackville which is not far from the lower Bluue Mountains.
It’s a very good club with excellent facilities and a great bunch of blokes.
Look them up on Google where there is a wealth of information.
lf you want down to earth information stick with the main forums, that’s where there is a real wealth of experience

Last edited:
Hi all,

Cheers,
Ben
Welcome mate. There isn’t much about black powder and muzzleloaders you can’t learn from the good people here.
It helps to indoctrinate you if you have a specific historical era in mind; blackpowder covers everything from the late medieval period up until the early 20th century.

Hi , I live in Blenheim at the top of the South Island of New Zealand , We have a small but working Black Powder club not too far out of town . I started shooting black powder rifles in 1981 in Auckland , when I bought a TC Hawken kit . I had a lot of fun building that little rifle , I soon progressed to bigger and better firearms , I have over time owned all the different Parker Hale ML rifles 2 Pedersoli Tryons , a Uberti Hawken , a Pedersoli double 12 ga , a Pedersoli Mortimer flinter 12ga , a CVA .58 mountain rifle , a Zouave , a Pedersoil Gibbs .40 , and a few others . I had to give up a lot of my guns because I am highly allergic to lead fumes , so anything I had to cast bullets for I sold , also anything with a coil spring lock had to go . I now shoot a 1770 early Lancaster .50 flinter , a English type .54 flinter It is based on the sort of rifle a British gentleman or Officer would use for hunting in the late seventeen hundreds/ early eighteen hundreds . A .40 flintlock squirrel rifle based on a JP Beck type , a Caywood chiefs grade 20ga trade gun ( flintlock) a 20ga very early type Matchlock and a 1777 Pedersoli Charlieville , and last but not least a French style .50 wheel lock , so you can see that the latest shortage of caps isn't a problem . I can post pictures if you would like , Cheers Dunc

Hi all,

Cheers,
Ben
Hi Ben
I am based in Gosford on the NSW Central coast. I shoot cap and ball rifles and Pistols at both the local muzzleloader club in Kariong and at the Tuggerah Lakes pistol club in Forresters beach. You might be interested in the Buffalo Rifle Association of Australia who conduct regular two day long range shoots for black powder cartridge rifles at the Cooyal Range about 20k’s from Mudgee
Gary

Ben,
Welcome aboard; your nearest club would probably be the Sydney Colonial Muzzle-ioading Club
They are at Sackville which is not far from the lower Bluue Mountains.
It’s a very good club with excellent facilities and a great bunch of blokes.
Look them up on Google where there is a wealth of information.
lf you want down to earth information stick with the main forums, that’s where there is a real wealth of experience

Sydney Colonial Muzzle loading club, thats where I started back in the mid 80's, they were a great bunch of blokes then.

No Tb, but semi-autos & pump actions are banned. When John Howard confiscated our guns after the Port Arthur incident he banned the use of semi-auto & pump action shotguns & .22 bunny rifles. It is often touted that he banned assault rifles, but in fact these had been banned years before the Port Arthur shootings. The semi-auto assault rifle used at Port Arthur actually came from the police, it had been handed in some time before & was in police custody! There never was a coronal enquirie!!!
Keith.
Mate I am not sure if the crime rate has risen because of gun confiscation or the new "no self defence law", or if we are just hearing more about it now, but two things I know are a fact:

1) Possessing any object specifically for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence in Australia, & if you own a gun for other purposes, you are not allowed to use that gun for defending yourself or your family in an armed home invasion. Some people will say this is not the case, but the fact is if you do use a gun for defence, you can have your guns confiscated, your gun license revoked, & you will face charges in court.

2) As of November last year:
Common assaults are up by 28 per cent, sex offences by 33 per cent while home invasions have soared by 43 per cent. That means a home invasion occurs every two hours, 28 minutes and 37 seconds.
Keith.
Arms2-REDUCED.jpg

Here in Australia every individual State is responsible for its own Firearms Laws, and despite the "National Firearms Agreement" (NFA ....note "Agreement") each State has different variations of Firearms legislation.

Here in Queensland State we have the right to use a Firearm for self-defence in our own Home providing we have a Firearms licence, its been tested in Court a few times and upheld.

Back