Where are all you Aussies and Kiwis!?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Widows Son

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks mate. It may be around Brisbane but that’s 3 hours south of me.
My local SSAA branch has a small but lively rendezvous group but we just meet once a month. There is another black powder bunch in the club but the are more into bp cartridges. Good bunch of blokes though.

LawrenceA

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
No its higher up
south of Townsville somewhere.
I will get the details for you.
I have spoken to a couple of the members and they seem fair dinkum

Rudyard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'me pleased your happy with QLD gun laws But there where no gun laws other than for modern pistols. Then they brought in antigun laws so I lost three guns I kept on a friends Cattle Station a 38 ML percussion & flint 40 cal & a double 3&1/4" 500 PB Express by Lang . They had to go to a dealer & got sold off for peanuts well the 40 cal flint did I posted home the 38 & placed the Express reasonably.
I see Fraser Island not that far from Brisbane & Normanton is practically in the Gulf. Searles sold the 40 cal Beech stocked wooden tool box Jager looking affair dragon side plate & New England militia lock marked London (Quite inappropiate was my first rifle I made ) delcour 1" brl nothing much with ball but shot well with a patched picket . Stock takes down in two . proof mark is a row of bears ! (My cutlery mark) . Anyway welcome to the Forums . Rudyard

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a muzzleloading gun forum so I will ask all of you to keep the questions and reply's directed towards that subject. In other words, please stop talking about the laws that deal with modern cartridge guns. Discussing them and the laws that deal with them on the forum is against the forum rules.

In other words, let's get back to talking about "where are all you Aussies and Kiwis located?".

Dugite

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi there guess i'm a neighbor just a 100 or so kays up the road in Bundaberg.

Ezeikel

32 Cal
Reaction score
Theres a few of us in NZ. Here in northland theres a strong BP club and two or three of us build our own guns from scratch ( and I dont mean kits ). What exactly are you into?

Widows Son

32 Cal
Reaction score
Theres a few of us in NZ. Here in northland theres a strong BP club and two or three of us build our own guns from scratch ( and I dont mean kits ). What exactly are you into?
*waving across the Tasman*
A lifetime ago when I lived in the States I was fascinated by the colonial period and collected accoutrements and skills of that era. I did trekking and hunting in an 18th century manner and learned a lot from Mark Baker, whom was a regular writer at the time for Muzzleloader magazine.
When I immigrated to Oz I had to leave my gear behind. I considered bringing my rifle “Abraham “ a .50 Pennsylvania longrifle flintlock But I was too confused by the gun laws and import customs stuff.
I hardly fired a shot for 20 years after that but I finally got it together again and joined my local SSAA club.
I don’t portray a historical character or trek anymore, just target shooting. Though I do that in a traditional way as I can.

Rudyard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A life time ago you could post or bring in such a gun I did .Though some burocrat in the Immigration might tell you you cant As happened to a local Ex pat American but he could have done . When I first landed in NZ I had a 303 unmentionable and a flintlock rifle of my make I declared them they where taken into Auckland Police HQ where I duly went to collect them . The officer cocked the BL tapped it with a hammer shaft then happy with that he looked at the flintlock it was clearly unfinished & I showed my UK Firearms certificate He looked at it and said "How far will it shoot? about 80 yards ? " I started to explain but he just said some thing like" We don't licence knifes & forks" He gave me a licence for the BL and away I went .
Regards Rudyard

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
"...
" We don't licence knifes & forks" He gave me a licence for the BL and away I went .
Regards Rudyard "

Often, it is better to let the ignorant remain so rather than educating them as your experience proves.