• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When would a soldier "cap" their pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyDeathCow

32 Cal
Reaction score
So you've heard of "cowboy loading" a revolver (only loading 5/6 chambers so jostling doesn't cause accidental discharge) but I'm wondering: in leading up to a battle, at what point would soldiers "cap" their percussion cap pistols?

If the revolver had only five chambers loaded, the five loaded ones would have been capped after loading all five. It wouldn't be good to try capping them right when the enemy initiated contact. Of course, the Remington could have all six chambers loaded and capped because it had notches between the chambers so the hammer wouldn't rest over a cap.

If the revolver had only five chambers loaded, the five loaded ones would have been capped after loading all five. It wouldn't be good to try capping them right when the enemy initiated contact. Of course, the Remington could have all six chambers loaded and capped because it had notches between the chambers so the hammer wouldn't rest over a cap.

Interesting, but I'm wondering about single shot muzzleloaders.

I would guess that they were kept ready for action at all times. Nobody would want to be taking the time fumbling around for a cap when something goes down. An uncapped nipple would also be a fine way to collect debris or introduce water to your load. The half-cock notch was there for that reason. No need for it otherwise.

I heard from an expert on YouTube that the notch was invented by Ruger for the Old Army.

I think it would depend……. In a large camp in settled territory, I don’t think weapons were even allowed to be loaded, except for sentries. On the far flung frontier, they were loaded and ready ALL the time.

I heard from an expert on YouTube that the notch was invented by Ruger for the Old Army.
True, Remington saw them and liked the idea so much they instituted a massive recall and added notches to all their previous production. 😀
Ruger engineers travelled back in time and sold the concept to Remington and brought back the gold coins they received as payment. They used that money to expand their business into the massive enterprise it is today.

True, Remington saw them and liked the idea so much they instituted a massive recall and added notches to all their previous production. 😀
Ruger engineers travelled back in time and sold the concept to Remington and brought back the gold coins they received as payment. They used that money to expand their business into the massive enterprise it is today.

These posts approved by Harry Turtledove.*

Capped and hammer eased down on the cap. Really and truthfully all of these questions are easily answered by common sense. I get a kick out of most people honestly believing that in the 1870s and 80s people walked around with their Colt SAA loaded with 5 rounds and the hammer down on an empty chamber. :doh:

So you've heard of "cowboy loading" a revolver (only loading 5/6 chambers so jostling doesn't cause accidental discharge) but I'm wondering: in leading up to a battle, at what point would soldiers "cap" their percussion cap pistols?

Hopefully they cap them before they need to use them. I carry a 58 daily capped, but check it to make sure caps are tight daily. My revolver sets nicely on the safety notches. Loading all cylinders has never been a problem. My modern weapons is another story, five only are loaded.

Sorry to steal the thread, but is there a way to carry my Old Army safely with all cylinders capped? I've always done 5/6, and never gave it any more thought.
If you look on the cylinder of your old army, there are channels cut in it between the cap nipples. You could potentially load all 6 cylinders and place the hammer de-cocked in the channel thus leaving it in a position halfway between caps and “safe” if dropped. The youtuber that explained this still felt more comfortable loading 5/6, but as described is the purpose of the the channels. You would then cock the hammer and the cylinder would travel to the first loaded chamber. Disclaimer, I don’t own an Old Army, just saw it on YouTube.

Latest posts

Back