• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to test fire a new build?(flintlock)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm that Douglas did not "proof" test their barrels.

They may have test fired them, but to actually "proof test" the barrel must be sent to an actual, official, proofing house. The term "proof" and "proofing" are legal and technical terms that are very specific. For example Winchester tests their modern rifles but has to call it "winproofing" because they are not submitting the items to an actual independent proofing house. So when a custom muzzleloader builder says they "we proof every gun we make" ..., NOPE, they are test firing that gun.

Don't misunderstand, one can do some extensive testing, perhaps even exceed the testing done on a black powder barrel at one of the official proofing houses..., but it's still not "proofed".

LD

I misspoke, I was actually referring to and accuracy test, or run out location. I have a book somewhere that Douglas would stamp their barrels in certain way to indicate it.

I might flash off a pan of powder or snap a cap just to be sure the gun will function before I put the finish on (sometimes) but I completely assemble and apply the finish THEN go to the range to shoot it and set the sights.

I see no need to do a "test firing" of the gun with a projectile prior to it's completion if you are using quality parts and you assemble it correctly. :thumb: ;)

In the days when barrels were hammer welded from flat stock proof firing was a necessity for determining the barrel was sound. Today metal technology produces barrels well beyond the strength obtained by hand welding for use in a black powder gun.
If barrels are from modern makers I would think they are safe for acceptable black powder loads without the need for excessive charges. Abusive loads are a misuse of the barrel in my opinion.
LBL

Back