• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to test fire a new build?(flintlock)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title asks, when? Do you do it when the rifle is complete with wood finished? Or do you do it after major parts are fit? I ask because I’m about to install the touch hole liner and wondering if I should check the function before finishing stock work. Also how do you test fire, do you do it with a blank load or live fire with a ball?

Thanks, Jon

As soon as it is fully inlet (and necessary pins) with the barrel, lock, trigger, guard, butt plate, touch hole, and sights, it gets sighted in at 13yds from the bench and then some.

I'm a cheekpiece fanatic. I will test fire my guns before the stocks are finished to make sure that they're going to hit around where the sights are, and the cheekpiece is just right.

Build the rifle , finish the rifle stock and brown the barrel. Center the sights on the barrel. Make sure the front sight is a little higher than necessary so it can be filed down during sight-in. Put the rifle on a bench , with target at 25 yards. The rifle will shoot as much as a foot low holding point of aim centered. File the top of the front sight off Once the balls are striking close to centered at 25 yds., move out to 50 yards and repeat until the balls strike center @ 50. If an aggressive file is used to lower the front sight and raise the balls on the target the whole operation might take 10 shots. Hope this helps. .................oldwood

Build the rifle , finish the rifle stock and brown the barrel. Center the sights on the barrel. Make sure the front sight is a little higher than necessary so it can be filed down during sight-in. Put the rifle on a bench , with target at 25 yards. The rifle will shoot as much as a foot low holding point of aim centered. File the top of the front sight off Once the balls are striking close to centered at 25 yds., move out to 50 yards and repeat until the balls strike center @ 50. If an aggressive file is used to lower the front sight and raise the balls on the target the whole operation might take 10 shots. Hope this helps. .................oldwood
Yep!!

Thanks for the replies. I’ll hold off on the touch hole then. Getting anxious is all. I worked on the stock shaping some more today. This is by far the most tedious part of the build. Although the buttplate has been a pain in the “butt”.

Jon

When the rifle is "in the white", it's function fired......Fred

Yep, as soon as the breechplug & the ignition channel is all set - tie that baby to a vehicle spare tire & put a match to the ignition chamnel.

I'd rather find out if everything's kosher before any further work is done.

I have one done in the white except for a little wood removal to thin the wrist and forestock. I really stalled out on this one and lost interest after a few medical issues. Perhaps shooting it will peak my interest again and I can finish it up.

I fired most of my previous builds in the white.

I've only done 2 rifles, so go with what the above guys do as they have the experience. But I waited until they were 100% finished aside from filing the site. Was a satisfaction thing for me to fire it when done.

I sight in "in the white"; stock finished but barrel un-blued/browned. I don't like taking the risk of scratching the barrel finish while filing the sights

I don't like taking the risk of scratching the barrel finish while filing the sights
I use blue painter's tape around the sight while filing. Just put a piece on and file, pull it off and it leaves no residue. If the file slips, it just hits the painter's tape and doesn't scratch the barrel.

I don’t know if I can wait until 100% finished, but I’ll get the stock done. Did some of you guys do the patch box before you test fired? All inlaying decorations done and carving? This is a Bedford County kit from TOTW by the way.
If you want to know.

Thanks, Jon

Well technically the stock isn't done until all that is done anyway. But you can fire it whenever you want to! Not gonna hurt anything. Heck you can take barrel itself, install liner and fire it off with a match if you want to. I wouldn't do it though...

Jerry.....after checking the breechplug seal or adjusting it for a tight seal, I start the build......and function fire the rifle when it's "in the white" w/ fairly big loads. At no time do I pressure test the bbl and have never had a bbl "blow" when shooting. Harm to the bbl is possible when pressure testing if something like "double ball" loads are used.....as some do.....Fred

I wish barrel manufactures would proof test their barrels. Like use a modified breach plug to detonate a main charge.
This would help greatly knowing the best way to have the barrel setting in the stock. I have gone through a major pain
trying to get a new barrel to shoot correctly. Had to bend the barrel a lot, and now pray I can get it to group otherwise
it's just junk!

Trying to work in these situations after the build is done, can be a major pain

I cannot confirm, but I believe Douglas did this on their barrels

I build them, and when finished, I shoot them. It’s a pattern that makes sense to me and one I find myself repeating in everything I make. Except for baking cookies. I can’t help myself. Them gooey babies are gone 5 minutes before the timer goes off....

Last edited:
I cannot confirm, but I believe Douglas did this on their barrels

I can confirm that Douglas did not "proof" test their barrels.

They may have test fired them, but to actually "proof test" the barrel must be sent to an actual, official, proofing house. The term "proof" and "proofing" are legal and technical terms that are very specific. For example Winchester tests their modern rifles but has to call it "winproofing" because they are not submitting the items to an actual independent proofing house. So when a custom muzzleloader builder says they "we proof every gun we make" ..., NOPE, they are test firing that gun.

Don't misunderstand, one can do some extensive testing, perhaps even exceed the testing done on a black powder barrel at one of the official proofing houses..., but it's still not "proofed".

LD

Latest posts

Back