• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When to Brown Parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadben

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a kit for a Tennessee rifle that I'm picking away at.

I'd be curious to get feedback as to when I should brown the metal parts. I've done the lock, sideplate, trigger guard, and trigger. But I haven't decided whether I should finish the barrel yet. I haven't done the butt plate yet as I figure that finishing that may require filing the sides of it.

The argument against finishing the barrel at this point is that I may screw up the browning while working on the wood (though the barrel channel is fully inletted already). The argument for doing it is that I may get it fit just right and not want to have to remove it and refit it so I can finish it.

What do you think? Is it too early at this point, or is browning the barrel something I should go ahead and do?

Thanks,

Ben

Browning metal parts, like hand rubbing oil finish on wood stocks, is " FINISH WORK". That means, its done Last- after all the parts are fitted, holes drilled for screws, parts filed to remove casting debrtis, and scratches, then polished to whatever degree of finish you want under that final coloration.

I also do the Browning while I am working on finishing the stock. Much of stock finishing involves waiting for coats to dry, which give you the time to work on finishing the metal parts.

Browning works best when the metal is NOT polished to too fine a finish. Don't use any abrasive smaller than 220 grit. I prefer 180 grit for most of the parts I intend to brown. The Browning solution "takes " better on the rougher surface.

Since the browning is an acid, its going to leave small pits in the surface of the metal, anyway. That makes putting a mirror finish to the metal counterproductive, NO?

The coarser the finish is, the better it also takes oil, grease, or wax used to protect the metal from further rusting, in the field.

Thanks guys. That helps. Guess it's time for me to hone up the old chisels and have at the wood!

Ben

Back