• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When is a Volunteer Rifle not a Volunteer Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchPress

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Today the term “Volunteer Rifle” encompasses a variety of different rifles, the range of which is broader than would have originally been intended.

The Lord-Lieutenant of Norfolk (UK) addressed a meeting in June 1859, regarding the formation of a Volunteer Rifle Company. He outlined issues associated with the selection of a suitable rifle – these must have been echoed throughout the country in the early days of the burgeoning Volunteer Movement.

“I have made what enquiries I could respecting the rifle that would be likely to be found most efficient. I believe that one of the best rifles in this country is the rifle that has been introduced by Mr. Whitworth; but that rifle, so far as we are concerned, is entirely out of the question, inasmuch as the gauge of the Whitworth rifle is different from that of the Government rifles. There are only two rifles, as far as I can learn, that we have to deal with, and they are the Enfield rifle and the rifle known by the name of the Lancaster rifle.”

Only .577 calibre (or 25 gauge) rifles that would accept government ammunition and government musket caps were considered as weapons for Volunteer units. The .45 calibre rifles such as the Whitworth, Kerr, etc. were, in actuality, military target rifles and not in the hands of Volunteers, except for long range (eg. Queen’s Prize 2nd Stage) or non-Volunteer competitions.

Further reading - The Volunteer Rifle Dilemma

David

Back