• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When hunting do you dress the part?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on it. Long way to go in making and acquiring gear and clothes....
20171115_163907.jpg 20171115_164318.jpg
My goal and hope is to someday be able to scout, hunt, and trek in only clothing and gear appropriate to mid F.&I..to about 17:90 or so. With the adjustment for hunter orange laws being that things should look about right in a black and white photo.

It all depends on the type of shooting ,if it is shooting pigeons or pest control after crows etc I wear a camouflage suit. If it is a traditional driven bird day for pheasant and partridge with the breech loader sxs then it is a tweed suit consisting of a jacket, waistcoat, and breeks. For a driven or walking up day with a muzzle loader then it is a frock coat , mole skin waist coat top or brown bowler hat , breaches and knee length leather boots not forgetting the watch and chain in the waist coat
Feltwad

I think dressing the part enhances the feeling of a traditional hunt ….

The first day of spring turkey season ….ankle high moccasins
View attachment 13913
LOBO; just ran across your picture, nice to see someone who is primatev persona here in WV. I'm from Clarksburg,cant do much period hunting or rendezvous any moore, health reasons but stil dress period when I can attend a club match. Any way congratulations on living the part. TOM Berwinkle

Must say I'm pleased we don't have to wear blaze orange up here in Alberta.
I reckon you make a better target if you can be seen!

Re moccasins;
When I wore them in wet weather , with slushy snow underfoot, I recall spending as much time flat on my back as walking in them! I remember having to light a fire to get dried out at times. :)

One thing I Have tried lately (in the winter that is!) is going barefoot in snow.
You know, once you get your head around it, it's not bad at all. Not tried it all day, but for a few hundred yards walk, it's not a problem really.
This is in that wet weather where mocs don't work, say down to minus 10C.
I do hav a a pair of those straight last Fugawee shoes, and put hob-nails in the soles, as I couldn't stand up in them either.
In mocs and wet weather, I tried tying thongs around my foot, to give extra grip, but they still got as wet as dish-cloths in no time, even though I greased them with deer tallow.

Hanshi, that's pretty much how I dress during our late Flintlock season only I'm usually wearing a one piece camo jumpsuit. If we get snow I'll toss my snow camo poncho over the top.

Yep...and as far as orange, I had a blanket made special then made into a capote.

32559536576_a0808fbc09_b.jpg

31991373187_57a3d3b47f_k.jpg

For squirrels, I only need one item of orange, so the hat suffices. I wear my other capote.

15691701864_ff23a56ebc_k.jpg

All wool clothing underneath and moosehide mocs.

And in warmer temps...like a Spring Turkey hunt...

39967960663_620367f047_k.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely, to me it adds to the fun. I am not out there for meat, although I definitely won't pass a shot if it presents itself. I'm out there for the woods time away.

Doc

Get too many strange looks where I hunt, lots of hikers. I wear my orange toque and mocs

Get too many strange looks where I hunt, lots of hikers. I wear my orange toque and mocs

I've always enjoyed getting the funny looks from other hunters and passersby. Hunting in garb helps allow me to transport myself to a different place and time.

Attachments

• 20171121_140304.jpg
    20171121_140304.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 106
  • 20170901_144605.jpg
    20170901_144605.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 89
This one was kind of cheating. I was just walking around the woods at rendezvous after the Saturday meeting and stumbled upon Mr. Bushytail.

Attachments

• IMG_66221.jpg
    IMG_66221.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 97
Yep...and as far as orange, I had a blanket made special then made into a capote.

32559536576_a0808fbc09_b.jpg

31991373187_57a3d3b47f_k.jpg

For squirrels, I only need one item of orange, so the hat suffices. I wear my other capote.

15691701864_ff23a56ebc_k.jpg

All wool clothing underneath and moosehide mocs.

And in warmer temps...like a Spring Turkey hunt...

39967960663_620367f047_k.jpg
Nice pics, and I like the capote! What type(species) of forests do you have in southeast minnesota?

Richard, I too find by the time I have done the jobs on our little farm, there is often precious little time or energy for the things I would like to do. ( I hope the War Office does not read this as I had a weekend away with the blokes from the Black Powder club, much rum was drunk and powder burnt ) I only get a shot at a rabbit if it turns up in the garden !

Cheers

Gordon

Back