• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they Sure don't seem to be going hungry buy the size of them??

Hogs were allowed to roam free to forage for themselves in virtually all communities/towns east of the Mississippi river since prior to the Revolutionary War. Each owner had their own distinctive ear mark/brand, so that when the community banded together to round them up in the fall to slaughter, and sell for profit the individual hogs could be identified.

Some of those hogs inevitably became feral, due to not being initially caught. The reason that feral hogs never became a problem until late in the 20th Century is that most of America was still a mostly rural nation with strong farming/foraging/hunting roots until the 1950's.

By the late 1960's-1970's, the supermarket was well on its way to displacing all of the individual speciality stores such as the butcher, baker, greengrocer, delicatessen, drugstore, pharmacy, etc.

Low wages, hardscrabble independence, occasional famines, a tradition of hunting, and fending for oneself; had any nuisance feral hogs quickly dispatched before they could become a problem.

I.e., people were hungry, and free food was not going to be wasted. Grab a gun, bait it, shoot it, butcher it, eat it.

By the late 1980's, early 1990's the growing United States population, coupled with fanatic anti-gun & anti-hunting rhetoric; in conjunction with the nationalization of the food industry to drive the mom & pop food businesses bankrupt; along with the dumbing down of our education system as far as what children were learning (critical thinking); along with the advent of affordable home computers, and then the invention of, the consequent miniaturization of, and the explosion in feature-rich availability cell phones.......

All of the above, and more convinced the young & old alike to abandon the old ways----- reading books--- cooking from scratch--- canning food--- making sausage---- fermenting foods--- hunting--- fishing---- the old-fashioned way was bad, the new way MUST BE BETTER!!!

Fewer and fewer hunters in a nation increasingly less rural close to the cities and oceans meant that any feral hogs were going to stay feral for a far longer period of time than they had ever done so in the past. This gave the hogs a chance to revert back to their wild ancestral DNA roots. Whatever domesticity these hogs once had was quickly lost. They became wild, clever, smart, wary, and extremely hard to kill.

Fish and Game Departments in States all over the South failed to realize how & why the feral hog problem was escalating. As others here have stated feral hogs have caused hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars worth of crop damage over the past 30 years, perhaps well into a TRILLION DOLLARS by now. A sounder of hogs can bankrupt a small farmer in several nights by the insane volume of damage that they can cause.

They are dangerous animals that have killed more than a few adult humans in the past few years. They are omnivorous, just like humans and bears. They will eat anything, plant or animal. Ask any farmer and they will tell you just how quick a chicken, duck, turkey, baby lamb, baby goat, puppy, kitten, etc. will disappear if a hog gets a chance to snap its jaws on it.

Feral hogs are a menace/pest/potential virus vector. Any way that their numbers can be reduced, other than poisoning I am in favor of.
this is the most accurate description of what has happened yet and very true

Howie, was the sapling from the first shot a pass through?

I've had that happen with deer. Thought my sights were way off, until I found the blood/hair.
yes sir the bullet did pass through the sapling, i grabbed the treehawk as its a handy carbine it shoots the 370 gr maxiball well after hitting the sapling the bullet yawed slapping him sideways. after i called down i proceded to track him with no blood i kept hearing him growl at me i seen him get up and have a red spot on his chest. i decided to go back home and go get my TC Big Boar .58 loaded with 100 gr 2F .018 patch and a .570 roundball. after i tracked him through our property i found him on the National forest( so yes the orange had to come out) got close to him and planted a roundball into the heart lung area dropping him as i walked off i had my lyman plains pistol .54 with me and placed a roundball into his skull making sure he was dead. Since my since my treehawk has 1-20 twist i went back and re-sighted it in using 100 grains of 2F and the 600 grain no excuse im not a fan of .50 for big hogs havvent been the last 4 years but if i use a .50 these bullets get it done on big hogs now that i have my 2 big boars in .58 my hawken in .58 and my pedersoli double kodiak .72 and my 4 double black powder shotguns i believe im done using anything but .58 and abovre. my .54s using 425 gr and up conicals have taken a 100 or so hogs with no problem on big hogs a .570 roundball .690 roundball and a .710 roundball does even better. if my .570 rb dont work ive got 600 gr tow maxiballs ready to go

Many reasons for sure but here's my Top Ten...

1. They're a destructive nuisance.

2. Some can make for good eating.

3. They're relative easy to hunt for multiple reasons.

4. There's simply too many of them.

5. They make for excellent off-season shooting practice.

6. It gives you an opportunity to monitor deer and other wildlife.

7. Local businesses benefit from the money you spend on gas, food, ammo, etc.

8. It gives you a great reason for get off the couch and get some fresh air and exercise.

9. You paid for an annual license so why not use it.

10. It's beats the hell out of watching fake news.

Howie1968: After what I've seen lately, I'm not sure I would put man above the pig!!
Toot: Wild pigs are not an indigenous species, but rather an invasive pest that is extremely destructive to the habitat & to agriculture. They are considered a menace wherever they roam. With the ability to have up to three litters a year, their population can explode to unmanageable levels & is extremely difficult to reduce. Most Game Departments encourage their slaughter. No closed season, no limit, practically no restrictions. In Texas you can even shoot them from a helicopter!!
I have tried to get a place to shoot one in Texas. Land owners want so much that by the time you make a trip and buy ice for a big chest [and the chest if you don't have one] and pay to have the butcherin' done … well. I'll pass. It's the same here in Oklahoma.

There is a pay to hunt pigs place near the property we hunt, but have never inquired about the cost to partake. The landowner of the property we hunt is adamant we kill every pig we see when we see it. He has a number different things going on the property, including a nursery that the cute little piggies totally destroyed a few years ago. Our hunting group now takes a few dozen pigs every year, though 10 years ago there were none seen. Belief is that the pigs we are seeing came from escapees from the pay to hunt property. No idea how many the landowner and his employees take, but they shoot on sight. They seem to be a game animal only while inside fences around here. Outside the fence, they are pests at best. Made the ‘mistake’ of taking one with a bow. Destroyed a $15 broadhead and a $20 arrow. First and last with a bow.

I don't have a dog in this fight per se but I can't go along with the whining and crying about hog problems when folks who WOULD hunt them are charged fees to do so to help take care of an issue. It is like expecting a helo crew to have to pay a fee plus their own fuel to come in and shoot hogs even yotes for that matter. Sometimes agriculture is their own worst enemy.

Maybe if you were a landowner you would have a different perspective and not consider it whining and crying.

When you add the costs of owning land, all the durn taxes and associated costs that go with it, is expensive. I do not know anyone whose cows pay for themselves, mine sure do not. The cows allow you an Ag. Exemption to lower the taxes so you can keep it.

I have enough trouble finding folks to lease to who are responsible hunters and act like adults. Lessors have to be monitored to assure they are following the rules and they are paying for the right to be there.

If you want to trespass to hunt in Texas, you are going to pay for the right to do so. I know no one who allows free hunting. Most of my neighbors have quit leasing because of prior problems.

Folks think they are just going to show up and eradicate the hogs on a person's place, does not happen that way. Hogs are smarter than most hunters

Hunting with a ML decreases your odds of killing one significantly. You are limited to 100 yards with your shooting and limited to hunting daylight hours. Near 100% of the hogs I see driving around checking on things are running. How many folks can get out of a vehicle and kill a running hog?

When I hunt with a ML I hunt from a blind with a feeder. It's the only way to even the odds.I

I guess in reflection, when you go out to eat, do you expect free food from a restaurant owner? He has been paying all the bills trying to make a living.

Last edited:
When I was younger (I am now 66) getting permission to hunt on someone's property was relatively easy. Not so today. I fully understand a landowner being leery of any hunter's motives until a relationship has been established.

The world we live in is a litigious one, and a generous act can come back to bite a generous farmer/rancher in the ass so far as to cripple them financially.

If I ever get myself out of my current situation here in Baltimore City, it is my intention to look for landowners where I move to that will let me work a certain number of hours on their property each year performing such scut chores as mucking out stalls, moving manure piles, moving/burning/chipping brush piles, bush hogging, etc. in return for permission to hunt their property.

In other words, pay forward with deeds done, BEFORE EVER FIRING A SHOT ON THE LANDOWNER'S PROPERTY!!

Give him/her a couple of weeks of work in return for permission to hunt.

"If I ever get myself out of my current situation here in Baltimore City, it is my intention to look for landowners where I move to that will let me work a certain number of hours on their property each year performing such scut chores as mucking out stalls, moving manure piles, moving/burning/chipping brush piles, bush hogging, etc. in return for permission to hunt their property."

Since most rural land owners are now over 60, that kind of help would get you a place to hunt and fish and most likely a lasting friendship.

I have many propeties and this is how i got mine, i first advertised free hog removal via traps, i also stated id help repair fences bale hay etc once i took one hog off a land owners property the first hog i butchered i always took and offered it to the land owner packaged in butcher paper labled with he type of meat and always would make up some pan sausage or link sausage. on the link sausage i always have a bunch made up anyways smoked and ready to eat upon doing that i also have been granted full hunting rights fishing rights etc. In texas if you take a few hogs off a land owners place offer them meat you generally gain alot of trust and respect before you know it you have to many peoperties to hunt via way of mouth. once you do good deeds in the community people get your number. i sold all but 2 of my 17 traps after the fall out of the southern wild game and beltrex and the sunset commision. now i have one good place with a few back up places occasionally ill take a long time friend on a hunt and always my daughters and grandkids. whats happened in texas private property is to many land owners who have been burned by (bubbas) show up drunk litter the field with beer cans no respect for boundries once they aqquire permission texas is well 0ver 90% private land and at some time most land owners have been burned. get a few business cards put at the feed stores. feed stores have helped me aqquire lots of places to hunt for varmits and hogs

I believe that the original comment was not criticising the people who engage in this activity, but merely commenting on the use of the word ‘hunt’ to describe it. According to a simple dictionary definition, to ‘hunt’ is to ‘pursue and kill’. There is no pursuit if you are attracting an animal with bait and just waiting for it to turn up to be shot. Therefore it is not hunting.

Similarly for bird shooting. You may shoot and kill them as they fly overhead, but that is not hunting.

Well then I have never "hunted." One cannot pursue any game, the sound of walking scares them off. "Hunting" is actually ambush, every bit of it.

Reminds me of the story I heard as a teen. City guy decides to go hunting, gets arrested when he mistook a cow for a deer. :doh:

Well then I have never "hunted." One cannot pursue any game, the sound of walking scares them off. "Hunting" is actually ambush, every bit of it.
so you set up a tree stand to hunt pheasant or do you walk until you flush them? so I hunted grouse and pheasant the wrong way by flushing them. I have to ambush them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back