• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wished we had a ferel hog problem here in Idaho..........

You don't. You really, Really don't. The Salmonella outbreaks in lettuce from a few years back were traced to feral hogs defecating in the fields. Total crop, and attendant wildlife destruction.

You don't. You really, Really don't. The Salmonella outbreaks in lettuce from a few years back were traced to feral hogs defecating in the fields. Total crop, and attendant wildlife destruction.
Just a small problem near me. We don't grow lettuce here.

This is a false statement about canned hunts!!! hogs were brought from the spaniards and just about anyone who immigrated. wild hogs were around during the indian days. If you really want to know how and where the hog problems started here is the deal the canned hunt is a myth as far as why there are many hogs before so called canned hunts high fences and such especially here in Texas farmers way back in the early 1900s free grazed or free roamed hogs turned then out to pasture per say. they would let them roam the land fatten up then gather them via horse and dog.. the problem was that once a pig is in the wild a week from captivity they start develeoping the wild traits and instincrts and the more generations they start developing the longer snouts developing cutters and such. pig farmers clip the teeth on piglets in the pig farms in iowa to prevent them from growing tusks. How do i know? i worked on a pig farm in the early 80s for the summer. the so called canned hunts as people from the outside call them can be either a simple shoot the pig pay the fee and be gone or i can promise this give me a 100 acre fenced property with blow downs brush thickets and i can make the hunt so tough youd swear there are no pigs. how do i know this 30 years of guiding hogs in texas from night time free range hunts to private fenced ranches that i have managed. for experimintation we had a 8 acre pasture that had big mean mature boars in it. for a 400.00 fee and a hold harmless agreement we would allow so called professional hunters to go try to kill a big boar wanna know the success rate? wanna know how many men at the end of the day realized that a hog is way smarter then believed. wanna know how many men were frustrated they couldnt find a hog? so for all the experts on canned hunts i could put 20 hogs on a 100 acre place in East texas i would lay money you wouldnt kill mone i could throw 30-50 hogs and you may get you 1 or 2 if you have another hunter or two. Here is why i get bothered at some of the comments ive hunted them for 37 yrs by choice guided for them 30 yearas ive spent alot of time studying them talking to county seats from the panhandle to beaumont jefferson county texas and all poinjts to the east and west until a person has spent time around them see the distruction they cause not only to the land but to other mammals alike down here in texas its a war!! 98% of Texas is private owned we have millions of acres of public land but they allow no baiting no night hunting with the exeption of a couple wma that will allow baiting after duck season. we need all the help of hunting ranchers hunters science in order to qwell this infestation ive given all i have now i hunt them weekly take a couple a week provide some meat to some friends coyotes and buzzards get there fair share but calling ranches canned hunts when they are doing a service to help and offer others a chance to experience what so many of us have passion for if private ranches with fences arent your thing dont go to them but calling them a canned hunt lol ive got to laugh about that because a so called canned hunt can be humiliating have a good day and good shooting
I bow hunted hogs in the Texas, Hill Country some years back! I hunted two weeks before I shot a hog. I have to agree with you as to the destruction they cause.I also know what you mean when you stated how hard it is to get one. Hogs are vermin and need to be eradicated as they are not an indigenous amimal to the area!

This here Old guy is a native western Massachusetts boy, and the only pigs we have here are usually democrats (ok - cheap shot, but I couldn't help it). Someone earlier mentioned that they weren't indigenous. Can anyone tell me how they got here originally? Please don't tell me some stupid "exotic" pet owner let a couple loose one day. I still get angry about the snakefish down in Virginia and all the other vermin in the Everglades that are here because of stupid humans.

Domestic hogs go wild very quickly if they get out and hogs are masters at getting out. I used to raise hogs and know how hard they can be to keep inside a fence. I was in the Great Plains and there isn't forrest or habitat where it is easy for them to hide. In a forested or brushy area it would be very hard to recover a hog if they don't want to be found. Also, my understanding is some folks years ago imported Russian Boars to let loose for hunting.

This here Old guy is a native western Massachusetts boy, and the only pigs we have here are usually democrats (ok - cheap shot, but I couldn't help it). Someone earlier mentioned that they weren't indigenous. Can anyone tell me how they got here originally? Please don't tell me some stupid "exotic" pet owner let a couple loose one day. I still get angry about the snakefish down in Virginia and all the other vermin in the Everglades that are here because of stupid humans.
The Spanish came bringing pigs that would follow them when exploring. The pigs were slaughtered as they traveled for food when nothing else is available. It is my understanding that the one that got away started causing problems with the Native Americans that grew corn and other crops in the south and east. Rooted up their food plots just like now. I know some that brought Russian boar to hunt and they escaped and mixed with the feral pigs. I have personally seen white black and tan sow with 11 piglets weight estimated around 400 lbs. I gave her lots of room.

Can anyone tell me how they got here originally?

The Spaniards brought them over by ship in the middle 1500's. They were brought over for food and eventually escaped.

I read years ago an article where they turned Russian Boars loose in Tennessee in an enclosure to hunt. Eventually they escaped and that is how they ended up the Russian strain in Tennessee. The article I believe was in Muzzle Blasts in the mid 1970's.

In many areas the hogs were/are released by people for different reasons. Some because they wanted to hunt. Some in retaliation, or just a malicious act. The property where released often does not belong to them. Some have released hogs on hunting lease land. The land owner is often not ask. The hogs breed and spread. Few years ago some were released in a forest area 30 plus miles from my land. Now they are a few miles away. They are extremely destructive, and spread. As said earlier when hunting pressure is put on them they move. Once they move into area the active population may vary in numbers. As long as food is available hunting pressure may reduce numbers but breeding will replenish. I hate them for several reasons.

A group of pigs or hogs is called a 'sounder.' Thanks Wikipedia. The pigs/hogs that are invading Alberta and Saskatchewan will burrow into snowbanks and hide. They call the burrows 'pigloos.' Lol. Thats my word of the day. Biologists tracking the them say they are super patient and will sit for hours to avoid detection. Pigloos. 😅

Here is a pair spotted just east of Edmonton Alberta last week. Out by Adrossan on a range road.
20201123_124836.jpg
Evil looking hairy devils!

A group of pigs or hogs is called a 'sounder.' Thanks Wikipedia. The pigs/hogs that are invading Alberta and Saskatchewan will burrow into snowbanks and hide. They call the burrows 'pigloos.' Lol. Thats my word of the day. Biologists tracking the them say they are super patient and will sit for hours to avoid detection. Pigloos. 😅

Pigloos, I like that.

Hogs are the smartest critters in the woods.

If you catch a sow out with her piglets, kill the very last one, she will not come back there.

If you get small hogs in a trap they seem to remain some what docile until you get up close, then they start bouncing of the sides. Those that are able to get out become trap shy and will not enter traps again. I keep a camera on each trap and learn a lot by studying the pictures.

A Remington .36 does a nice job on them, it's called dirt sleep.

Howie, was the sapling from the first shot a pass through?

I've had that happen with deer. Thought my sights were way off, until I found the blood/hair.

Pigloos, I like that.

Hogs are the smartest critters in the woods.

If you catch a sow out with her piglets, kill the very last one, she will not come back there.

If you get small hogs in a trap they seem to remain some what docile until you get up close, then they start bouncing of the sides. Those that are able to get out become trap shy and will not enter traps again. I keep a camera on each trap and learn a lot by studying the pictures.

A Remington .36 does a nice job on them, it's called dirt sleep.
Check out the video on the BoarBuster ranchers here in the Texas Hill country with hog problems are using.

is it legal to bait them? doesn't seem very sporting, if this what it seems to be? just curious?
They aren't game animals much less native species. No restrictions for hogs. They are an invasive species/pests. You will need a Texas hunting license here if you aren't hunting for a land owner's pest control...

They aren't game animals much less native species. No restrictions for hogs. They are an invasive species/pests. You will need a Texas hunting license here if you aren't hunting for a land owner's pest control...
Nothing to do with hunting is free in Texas! Called a "pest", no closed season, no limit, no restrictions, yet you still gotta pay.

Hogs were allowed to roam free to forage for themselves in virtually all communities/towns east of the Mississippi river since prior to the Revolutionary War. Each owner had their own distinctive ear mark/brand, so that when the community banded together to round them up in the fall to slaughter, and sell for profit the individual hogs could be identified.

Some of those hogs inevitably became feral, due to not being initially caught. The reason that feral hogs never became a problem until late in the 20th Century is that most of America was still a mostly rural nation with strong farming/foraging/hunting roots until the 1950's.

By the late 1960's-1970's, the supermarket was well on its way to displacing all of the individual speciality stores such as the butcher, baker, greengrocer, delicatessen, drugstore, pharmacy, etc.

Low wages, hardscrabble independence, occasional famines, a tradition of hunting, and fending for oneself; had any nuisance feral hogs quickly dispatched before they could become a problem.

I.e., people were hungry, and free food was not going to be wasted. Grab a gun, bait it, shoot it, butcher it, eat it.

By the late 1980's, early 1990's the growing United States population, coupled with fanatic anti-gun & anti-hunting rhetoric; in conjunction with the nationalization of the food industry to drive the mom & pop food businesses bankrupt; along with the dumbing down of our education system as far as what children were learning (critical thinking); along with the advent of affordable home computers, and then the invention of, the consequent miniaturization of, and the explosion in feature-rich availability cell phones.......

All of the above, and more convinced the young & old alike to abandon the old ways----- reading books--- cooking from scratch--- canning food--- making sausage---- fermenting foods--- hunting--- fishing---- the old-fashioned way was bad, the new way MUST BE BETTER!!!

Fewer and fewer hunters in a nation increasingly less rural close to the cities and oceans meant that any feral hogs were going to stay feral for a far longer period of time than they had ever done so in the past. This gave the hogs a chance to revert back to their wild ancestral DNA roots. Whatever domesticity these hogs once had was quickly lost. They became wild, clever, smart, wary, and extremely hard to kill.

Fish and Game Departments in States all over the South failed to realize how & why the feral hog problem was escalating. As others here have stated feral hogs have caused hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars worth of crop damage over the past 30 years, perhaps well into a TRILLION DOLLARS by now. A sounder of hogs can bankrupt a small farmer in several nights by the insane volume of damage that they can cause.

They are dangerous animals that have killed more than a few adult humans in the past few years. They are omnivorous, just like humans and bears. They will eat anything, plant or animal. Ask any farmer and they will tell you just how quick a chicken, duck, turkey, baby lamb, baby goat, puppy, kitten, etc. will disappear if a hog gets a chance to snap its jaws on it.

Feral hogs are a menace/pest/potential virus vector. Any way that their numbers can be reduced, other than poisoning I am in favor of.

Hogs were allowed to roam free to forage for themselves in virtually all communities/towns east of the Mississippi river since prior to the Revolutionary War. Each owner had their own distinctive ear mark/brand, so that when the community banded together to round them up in the fall to slaughter, and sell for profit the individual hogs could be identified.

Some of those hogs inevitably became feral, due to not being initially caught. The reason that feral hogs never became a problem until late in the 20th Century is that most of America was still a mostly rural nation with strong farming/foraging/hunting roots until the 1950's.

By the late 1960's-1970's, the supermarket was well on its way to displacing all of the individual speciality stores such as the butcher, baker, greengrocer, delicatessen, drugstore, pharmacy, etc.

Low wages, hardscrabble independence, occasional famines, a tradition of hunting, and fending for oneself; had any nuisance feral hogs quickly dispatched before they could become a problem.

I.e., people were hungry, and free food was not going to be wasted. Grab a gun, bait it, shoot it, butcher it, eat it.

By the late 1980's, early 1990's the growing United States population, coupled with fanatic anti-gun & anti-hunting rhetoric; in conjunction with the nationalization of the food industry to drive the mom & pop food businesses bankrupt; along with the dumbing down of our education system as far as what children were learning (critical thinking); along with the advent of affordable home computers, and then the invention of, the consequent miniaturization of, and the explosion in feature-rich availability cell phones.......

All of the above, and more convinced the young & old alike to abandon the old ways----- reading books--- cooking from scratch--- canning food--- making sausage---- fermenting foods--- hunting--- fishing---- the old-fashioned way was bad, the new way MUST BE BETTER!!!

Fewer and fewer hunters in a nation increasingly less rural close to the cities and oceans meant that any feral hogs were going to stay feral for a far longer period of time than they had ever done so in the past. This gave the hogs a chance to revert back to their wild ancestral DNA roots. Whatever domesticity these hogs once had was quickly lost. They became wild, clever, smart, wary, and extremely hard to kill.

Fish and Game Departments in States all over the South failed to realize how & why the feral hog problem was escalating. As others here have stated feral hogs have caused hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars worth of crop damage over the past 30 years, perhaps well into a TRILLION DOLLARS by now. A sounder of hogs can bankrupt a small farmer in several nights by the insane volume of damage that they can cause.

They are dangerous animals that have killed more than a few adult humans in the past few years. They are omnivorous, just like humans and bears. They will eat anything, plant or animal. Ask any farmer and they will tell you just how quick a chicken, duck, turkey, baby lamb, baby goat, puppy, kitten, etc. will disappear if a hog gets a chance to snap its jaws on it.

Feral hogs are a menace/pest/potential virus vector. Any way that their numbers can be reduced, other than poisoning I am in favor of.
Farmer related story of a land owner that heard awful sound and went to check it out. 3hogs had cornered six of his sheep in the corner of a fenced area. The hogs would run through the group of sheep with his tusk ripping the sheep open to kill and eat. I shot 2 small pigs on a ranch when they went after a spike buck i had just shot. I dropped both and proceeded to field dress deer and then went to ranch HQ with spike. Rancher to me to move the pigs next AM. Returned next am and the shot hogs had been eaten by other pigs over night. I found pieces of them scattered over the area I was hunting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back