• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The market for the meat is with the wild game processing plants they sell the meat at 28.00 a pound over sees but want to give us 10 cents a pound. Because of the threat of swine brucellosis and pseudo rabies we are not allowed to sell the meat other than to a state inspected buying station. See how the government works? We aren't allowed to sell but a packing plant can sell overseas with over a 1000% mark up. The meat is delicious even the big ones. Main thing is getting the blood out of the meat. I put my meat in a cooler full of ice pull the drain plug and let the thing ice draw the blood out of the meat when the water from ice melting comes out clear the meat is ready for processing. A hog does have several glands that have a sack of the most horrible you can smell if one of those taint threat toss the meat. Most people dont realize that when a big hog gets nervous or marking territory he will spray a scent like a skunk to ward off trespassers ( other hogs) the only time a big boar let's other pigs around him is if there is a receptive sow in the area. Big boars claim a territory and will fight to death a violator
Thanks Howie for the education. Very informative.

Back in the early 1970s I lived in Georgia for a couple of years. I met a family there and we became friends. One of the sons took me hog hunting several times. It was a ways from Savannah and along the Altamaha River. He used dogs to chase the hogs and they grabbed the ear of the hog and he came up and shot the hog in the head with a .22. He said he used to use a .30-06 until he accidentally shot the dogs foot off. Once shot we carried the hog back to his truck and went after another. If the pig was to small, he tied the snout, and feet and we carried the hog back and he penned it and fed it and butchered it when it was older. The farmers nearby were thrilled when he got several hogs. They were feral and meaner than hell and they attacked domestic animals and ate crops and raised holy hell with the deer and other wild life. There were so many that it was considered a public service to kill them. I still remember wading through the swamp water waist deep watching things swim away from me, and not really wanting to know what those critters were. Some deadly snakes in the area and some were in the water. I helped butcher and man that family used everything but the squeal when they butchered. That home made sausage and grits with home made butter and salt and pepper was some fine eating... Oh and the fried Okra. I miss the South...

Toot, obviously you know absolutely nothing about hunting hogs with a comment like that! Come to East Texas to the pineywoods and go hunt them without bait. Hunt them for 37 years as I have count your wild hog kills over 37 years without bait and tell me how many you kill!. I'm not meaning any disrespect. As a hunting guide and former outfitter who specializes in trophy 7 year old trophy boars I can assure you that your success without bait would not be worth the trouble. First of all hogs in the wild tend to be nocturnal. Nomadic and you are dealing with an animal that has the 3rd or 4th best intelligence of any mammal, proved by science. ThierRchy is man,primate, either dolphin or pig is next. They have the best smell ears in the woods. With eyes that detect movement better than most people realize. Texas has the highest population of hogs in the Us. We are allowed to hunt them by any means necessary with the exception to poison or explosives.. if you do not bait the chances of a man consistantly killing them is extremely difficult
TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE says that 400,00+ hogs taken annually and it would take a million annually to hold the population stable. They also destroy other wildlife.
1606192191350_1606192190125_0_Screenshot_20190311-221540_Facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At our hunting lease here in S.E. Louisiana the rule is KILL THEM! Kill them all. Kill them any way you can.

They breed at six months. A mature sow can have two litters a year with up to 16 piglets per litter. They wipe out the mast crop, kill and eat any newborn fawn they find, destroy turkey nests, and wreak havoc on food plots.

There's no way you can impact their population by hunting. It takes a constant and sustained trapping program to "barely" keep them under control.

Hogs.jpg

For those that criticized the people that hunt, trap and make a dilligent effort to thin the hog problems, you are clueless.
I believe that the original comment was not criticising the people who engage in this activity, but merely commenting on the use of the word ‘hunt’ to describe it. According to a simple dictionary definition, to ‘hunt’ is to ‘pursue and kill’. There is no pursuit if you are attracting an animal with bait and just waiting for it to turn up to be shot. Therefore it is not hunting.

Similarly for bird shooting. You may shoot and kill them as they fly overhead, but that is not hunting.

Hogs kill and eat other wildlife. TPWD says 400,000 + hogs are taken every year and the estimate is 1 million a year is needed to stabilize the population. That's keeping their population from growing

TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE says that 400,00+ hogs taken annually and it would take a million annually to hold the population stable. They also destroy other wildlife.View attachment 51547
that is soo sad. kill them all!! I did not know that they killed wildlife? I thought that all they did was root.

that is soo sad. kill them all!! I did not know that they killed wildlife? I thought that all they did was root.
I worked for TPWD 10 yrs. I got educated. I have talked to farmers that lost 500 to 700 acres in one night. I have talked ranchers that have personally seen hogs kill and eat a fawn when it dropped. I know of areas where quail and turkey population have declined with the explosion of hog populations. First hogs were originally brought over with Spanish explorers for food. Hogs are feral animals in State Parks and are trapped in a lot of the parks. I have been hunting hogs on ranch south of Abilene where we topped a hill and there was a minimum of 80 hogs in this field.

Troopertree, thank you for informing us who are uninformed for the devastation that they doo to the EAGO SYSTEM??

What is is hunting? What is semantics?

"the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning."

Call hog eradication what you wish, they have to go.

It cost $264 per acre to repair damage done in a coastal field. I have 13 acres torn up by hogs, that comes to $3,234.

They go down the county dirt roads and tear up the shoulders looking for acorns. They create erosion rooting for stuff to eat.

Folks are always asking to come hunt for free. Why in the world do I want folks wandering around that I do not know. If I cannot kill them out, how is a person who does not know the land going to do it?

Folks saying shooting them around a feeder is not hunting, how do you think you are going to congregate them without a source of food?

Troopertree, thank you for informing us who are uninformed for the devastation that they doo to the EAGO SYSTEM??
Toot I live in a subdivision in Bandera ranch from my back fence

Attachments

• 1606229630944_1606229628685_2_WGI_0001.JPG
    1606229630944_1606229628685_2_WGI_0001.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 100
I've taken 3 hogs when I used to live in TX, and I enjoyed each hunt (one night hunt, two during the day, one with a pistol, but all "unmentionables" on this forum).

I had the meat professionally processed mostly into sausage, saving a few cuts for the smoker. As far as taste, even my "we don't like game meat" family loved all of that sausage. I smoked the ribs from one of them, and it was horrible. I smoked shoulders on a couple of them to make pulled-pork and one tasted just like I bought pork from the grocery store, delicious, while the other one had a bad smell out of the fridge, and a bad taste out of the smoker so it got tossed. I don't know why there was such meat variability, but have been told that if the acorn season is productive, the meat tastes much better.

As described by Howie above, I always drain the blood out of hog meat in a cooler for a couple of days before taking it to the butcher, adding ice daily and allowing it to melt over the top of the meat and drain out below. A buddy told me to do this, so I just followed suit.

We eat more pork than beef in my house, so hunting hog made a lot of sense. Plus.. it's just damn fun.

As to the definition of the word hunt, here the basic legal term in our hunting regulations is. "Hunting includes pursuing,shooting, killing, capturing, and trapping wild animals, wild birds, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or placing, setting, drawing or using any device used to take wild animals, wild birds, whether they result in taking or not, and includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take wild animals or wild birds." The definition may vary from state to state in wording. Basically if you are sitting, standing, laying down, walking, shooting from a helicopter on a Texas hunt etc, with the intent to take game you are hunting. I stand with what I said and the reason for saying it. Too many are quick to criticize the action of others based on their feelings or uninformed beliefs instead of facts and reality. To try to tie the hog problems to the global climate change thing is also absurd. The hogs in many areas are there because idiots turned them loose for their own stupid reasons. Now others are having to deal with it. The hogs are a few miles from my place now and they increase in range every year. I do not look forward to having to deal them on my property. Makes me sick to see what they have done to friends places. Probably why it is disgusting to read or hear criticism of a person that actually does something positive. I was raised that if you are not part of the solution dont be critical or hinder those that are. For the record it does not bother me to turn a hog into buzzard bait an walk off if nobody wants it. They are useless to me.

I had a neighbor who had a nice garden. Hogs got into it and there was nothing left.

Hogs belonged to another neighbor and he had been warned to keep his hogs kept in. He did not, there was a pile of dead hogs.

Too many are quick to criticize the action of others based on their feelings or uninformed beliefs instead of facts and reality.

Probably why it is disgusting to read or hear criticism of a person that actually does something positive.

I don’t believe that anyone in this thread has made any criticism of anyone else for killing these animals. A lot of people have been ranting about nothing.

Curious. Is there a market for the meat? How do they compare with their domestic relatives as to table fare? Do you have to be careful about diseases they could carry? Thanks.

They are very good eating, I purge mine in a cooler on ice like Howie.
They are very lean, not like a domestic hog at all. I mix them 50/50 with deer to make sausage, but I add pork fat. I had a butcher friend who would give me pork fat.

I believe that the original comment was not criticising the people who engage in this activity, but merely commenting on the use of the word ‘hunt’ to describe it. According to a simple dictionary definition, to ‘hunt’ is to ‘pursue and kill’. There is no pursuit if you are attracting an animal with bait and just waiting for it to turn up to be shot. Therefore it is not hunting.

Similarly for bird shooting. You may shoot and kill them as they fly overhead, but that is not hunting.

Someone needs to tell Daniel Boone when he waited for deer to come to the salt lick later named for him that he was not hunting. I bet he didn't know that.

Someone needs to tell our ancestors who found a game trail crossing and waited for game to show up they weren't hunting as well.

But the guys I saw elk hunting in Colorado with their rifles slung, marching down the trail with their hands in their pockets WERE hunting? If you say so...

yea but humans destroy the environment way more then pigs. so should they be shot down? pigs are a major problem without a doubt but man brought them here and there were canned pig hunts where they are fenced in on large acreage farms. many escaped and started breeding away
This is a false statement about canned hunts!!! hogs were brought from the spaniards and just about anyone who immigrated. wild hogs were around during the indian days. If you really want to know how and where the hog problems started here is the deal the canned hunt is a myth as far as why there are many hogs before so called canned hunts high fences and such especially here in Texas farmers way back in the early 1900s free grazed or free roamed hogs turned then out to pasture per say. they would let them roam the land fatten up then gather them via horse and dog.. the problem was that once a pig is in the wild a week from captivity they start develeoping the wild traits and instincrts and the more generations they start developing the longer snouts developing cutters and such. pig farmers clip the teeth on piglets in the pig farms in iowa to prevent them from growing tusks. How do i know? i worked on a pig farm in the early 80s for the summer. the so called canned hunts as people from the outside call them can be either a simple shoot the pig pay the fee and be gone or i can promise this give me a 100 acre fenced property with blow downs brush thickets and i can make the hunt so tough youd swear there are no pigs. how do i know this 30 years of guiding hogs in texas from night time free range hunts to private fenced ranches that i have managed. for experimintation we had a 8 acre pasture that had big mean mature boars in it. for a 400.00 fee and a hold harmless agreement we would allow so called professional hunters to go try to kill a big boar wanna know the success rate? wanna know how many men at the end of the day realized that a hog is way smarter then believed. wanna know how many men were frustrated they couldnt find a hog? so for all the experts on canned hunts i could put 20 hogs on a 100 acre place in East texas i would lay money you wouldnt kill mone i could throw 30-50 hogs and you may get you 1 or 2 if you have another hunter or two. Here is why i get bothered at some of the comments ive hunted them for 37 yrs by choice guided for them 30 yearas ive spent alot of time studying them talking to county seats from the panhandle to beaumont jefferson county texas and all poinjts to the east and west until a person has spent time around them see the distruction they cause not only to the land but to other mammals alike down here in texas its a war!! 98% of Texas is private owned we have millions of acres of public land but they allow no baiting no night hunting with the exeption of a couple wma that will allow baiting after duck season. we need all the help of hunting ranchers hunters science in order to qwell this infestation ive given all i have now i hunt them weekly take a couple a week provide some meat to some friends coyotes and buzzards get there fair share but calling ranches canned hunts when they are doing a service to help and offer others a chance to experience what so many of us have passion for if private ranches with fences arent your thing dont go to them but calling them a canned hunt lol ive got to laugh about that because a so called canned hunt can be humiliating have a good day and good shooting

There are hog hunts in Texas where the owners buy hogs from the trappers and turn them loose on their property. Folks come a long ways from out of state to hunt them.

One of Swamp People from the history channel was here in Texas hunting hogzilla a couple of years ago. I know the guy he was hunting with and the 2 places where they hunted.

You are right, if you put folks in an enclosure with hogs where they could not get out, the odds of killing them is very remote.

But these hunts that are being sold are at night with night vision equipment and modern rifles. That changes the odds in favor of the hunter, not the hog. They also are not hunting the habitat you are hunting. For the most part the land has been cleared of under brush and you can see quite a ways, either during the day or at night.

There are a lot of hunts in the Centerville area.

Hunting them with a ML levels the playing field quite a bit in favor of the hog.

Some folks just want to put on camo, shoot a hog, get their picture taken and take the meat home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back