• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually big boars are plenty edible, you just have to watch certain glands, I usually kill over 500 a year between high tech trap, dog huntin, using night vision to shoot them out of the hay fields people yards n cemetery’s, plus off deer stands with gun and bow. I have run of 100,000 acres of timber land and I shoot them as I see them, lots of times will be in road or pipelines and I will stalk them. These around here have got where they will stand in the ditch and let the cars pass as long as don’t come to a stop n way more hogs hit on the highway now than deer. Hogs are very smart n have a great nose good ears n eyes way better than folks think,deer ain’t got nothin on a pig!!!

Good boar howie, i need get that 58 lined out n go shoot a few with it,
Thanks Mike weve been doing it along time buddy. the .58 on these big boars is like magic it kills them way better than what kinetic energy says so. ive got some 600 grain tow maxi i bought from track of the wolf but im happy with the .570 roundball although it weighs less than the big conicals there is something about those .570 balls .018 patch wonder wad over 100 grains of 2F ive yet to recover a ball

ill give yall a rundown of what has happened in Texas with the hog explosion in 2005 there were quite a few hogs around but nothing near how the population is now. in 2005 i was a trapper/hunting guide i had 17 of my own traps a getter and a nice truck to drop traps off pick up pigs i trapped back then i got 1.00 a pound for live hogs up to 100 lbs, 200 lb 300lb hogs brought alot more plus you got head bonus. At the same time 2 meat placking plants got involved Beltrex and southern wild game. at that time TAHC (Texas Animal health control) got involved and limited the movement of feral swine to where the only time you could posses a hog was if it was dead, to a feral hog buying station ran by beltrex and southern wild game or to a hunting ranch (boar only) then it had to be quarenteed. the game ranches could have a buying facility but it had certain specifics on a way to hold them plus the hunting ranch had to be inspected. once TAHC ruled on the movement of hogs it became a monopoly between beltrex and southern wild game. where you would get .10 cents a pound up to 100 lbs 15 upt to 200 hundred and so on. so i went from making 100.00 on a 100lb wild hog to 10.00 im sorry but i refuse to trap a 100 lb hog for that amount. many of us trappers shut our traps and sold them. this is my 37th year hunting and trapping them, ive seen countless farmers cry because they broke axles in a pasture that was rooted up, the hogs destroyed there wheat corn and alfalfa feilds. Even the new helicopter hunts are struggling at times because hogs become very keen to the sound of a chopper and go hide. poisons are ineffective as you then contaminate all forms of wild life hog dogging is another method but flat out there just isnt enough hunters dedicating there lives to hunting them they are coming into our towns walking are creeks destroying lawns shrubbary and as smokinfeathers stated you see more hogs getting hit by vehicles than deer. the fact is the state of texas made some big mistakes 15 years ago

Todd Huey has been using a fn249 out of Ute with nv googles n laser, he kills thousands chasing them n crop field

Yep that’s exactly what happened not to mention before that they banned hunting deer with dogs n east tx n ****** east tx boys off so they went south tx n started catching hogs n bringing them back east tx n spreading them all over, they have since moved into neighboring states, use to in la wouldn’t hardly see no sign 5 years later Nola is getting over run as well.i still trap because it’s part of my job n also get paid to do private nuisance ads work along with beaver n coon. I will shoot 50 in the trap before I take the time to load them up and haul them 60 miles for a nickel a pound!!

Last edited:
I take a different approach to hunting and trapping. I'm an old retired guy and I just do it as something to get my butt out of my recliner and keep me up and moving. I just give away anything that I consider eatable, and leave the rest to the coyotes and buzzards. Just hauled two to a local businessman yesterday. I also haul frozen legs to a muzzleloading club shoot that I attend once a month. Just exercise and entertainment for me !!

[QUOTE="Howie1968, post:

Old Rust, i told you id take it hunting after i bought it from you, its a light handy little carbine,
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

You did sir and I know that you have. I was trying to say I'm tickled to see you making meat with it. It would still be residing in the closet if I had it. The MD whitetail that I took with it were no match for that gun and neither was my shoulder. Keep stacking those big vermin up and take care of yourself buddy.

Thanks for sharing O.R.

Last edited:
Wished we had a ferel hog problem here in Idaho..........

I promise you...No You Don't!

They are incredibly smart. You never see them during daylight hours on my place, but their sign and destruction is enough to tell me they're here. I hunt hard every year, haven't killed one in 6 years. I need to set up lights to hunt them at night. Or get Night Vision Goggles.

Curious. Is there a market for the meat? How do they compare with their domestic relatives as to table fare? Do you have to be careful about diseases they could carry? Thanks.

Curious. Is there a market for the meat? How do they compare with their domestic relatives as to table fare? Do you have to be careful about diseases they could carry? Thanks.
The market for the meat is with the wild game processing plants they sell the meat at 28.00 a pound over sees but want to give us 10 cents a pound. Because of the threat of swine brucellosis and pseudo rabies we are not allowed to sell the meat other than to a state inspected buying station. See how the government works? We aren't allowed to sell but a packing plant can sell overseas with over a 1000% mark up. The meat is delicious even the big ones. Main thing is getting the blood out of the meat. I put my meat in a cooler full of ice pull the drain plug and let the thing ice draw the blood out of the meat when the water from ice melting comes out clear the meat is ready for processing. A hog does have several glands that have a sack of the most horrible you can smell if one of those taint threat toss the meat. Most people dont realize that when a big hog gets nervous or marking territory he will spray a scent like a skunk to ward off trespassers ( other hogs) the only time a big boar let's other pigs around him is if there is a receptive sow in the area. Big boars claim a territory and will fight to death a violator

Todd Huey has been using a fn249 out of Ute with nv googles n laser, he kills thousands chasing them n crop field

Yep that’s exactly what happened not to mention before that they banned hunting deer with dogs n east tx n ****** east tx boys off so they went south tx n started catching hogs n bringing them back east tx n spreading them all over, they have since moved into neighboring states, use to in la wouldn’t hardly see no sign 5 years later Nola is getting over run as well.i still trap because it’s part of my job n also get paid to do private nuisance ads work along with beaver n coon. I will shoot 50 in the trap before I take the time to load them up and haul them 60 miles for a nickel a pound!!
Mike you are definately killing more than me I'm good for about 100 a year now I'm slowing down I'd love to go back to my 40s

For those that criticized the people that hunt, trap and make a dilligent effort to thin the hog problems, you are clueless. Judging and saying it is because someone just enjoys killing is wrong. You are making a judgement based on your ignorance of the situation. I dont get up in the middle of the night and walk my yard with a gun and flashlight shooting armadillos because I enjoy it. I mow several acres and they are tearing up my yard. I use a tank sprayer on my zero turn to kill fire ants, not because I like to kill. As a kid we owned a dairy. Several times a year it was my job to kill cats. The wonderful people in town would come out at night and bless us with a box. In it would be a female and her kittens. They never ask or let us know we were being blessed. Often a few would be in the road dead from traffic. But everyone knows farmers "need cats". I killed hundreds of cats and hated it, but they were nasty, flea infested and a huge problem. Bigger problem than rats. The hogs in many places are a problem caused by idiots. They turned them loose to hunt or whatever their perverted logic was/is, because it is still happening. Hogs are like a lot of other things we have had introduced into nature. They are a curse to the farmers and people that have to deal with them. Sadly the politicians and bureaucrats that make rules are also ignorant about the situation in most places. In my state they are waking up, few years earlier would have helped greatly. Before anyone makes a critical remark about something they are not personally dealing with they need to take time to find out something about the situation. Yes some enjoy killing, but they usually are not the ones that actively work at eliminating the problem. I wish they would. Hogs are smart, tough and probably here to stay. For those that actively hunt them I pray you kill as many as possible anyway possible. Bless You in your efforts.

Eterry's got the truth of the hog situation. At first free hog meat for the taking seemed like a good thing,but the blasted critters are multiplying like rabbits and they do a LOT of damage -- plus they can be dangerous. I was out to a friend's ranch a while back and drove around a line of Live Oaks, headed for one of his cattle tanks --- ponds, to y'all up north --- and when the tank was in sight it looked like the earth was moving. He had a pack of maybe 50 feral hogs around that tank! I'll tell you, I was right pleased they were running away instead of towards me. The only real plus I know of is, they do thin out the snake population!

Mike you are definately killing more than me I'm good for about 100 a year now I'm slowing down I'd love to go back to my 40s

O I love to hunt them, n like you I prefer huntin them over deer now days, like to use the bow n muzzleloader and hit them up close n personal, the numbers come from work n gettin paid to kill them n my family friends n neighbors yards pastures hayfields etc getting rooted to hell and costing thousands of $ in damage and lost revenue and that just the little guys not counting the commercial loss. They gettin braver n braver rooting right up to people’s houses n steps, even braver enough to come to my yard!!(they didn’t live long) lots of times I can literally shoot them off my porch on the neighbors place,

Yes we are killing them but mainly just move them back n forth between properties, you put a little pressure on them n they will hit a creek n move down the rd n later they will either come back on their own or somebody else puts pressure on them n they move back to you.

You would have to kill 70 percent of the population every year just to keep the numbers from continuing to climb and there is no way to do that.

Here in tx there is no season no limits can hunt day night over bait with dogs helicopters etc n we are still losing the war, we do not want poison though n have already shot that down once.

Yes there are people that charge to hunt hogs, but way more offer them as a free bonus on deer hunts and they fair game on leased land for sure!! Anyone wants to trade hunts or fishing trip for a hog hunt you just hit me up n I’ll trade. We can ride around and shoot them out the truck, spot n stalk sit stands, bay n shoot with dogs or catch n stab with dogs, can do it from mar till sept as deer season will open and the leases will take over

O I love to hunt them, n like you I prefer huntin them over deer now days, like to use the bow n muzzleloader and hit them up close n personal, the numbers come from work n gettin paid to kill them n my family friends n neighbors yards pastures hayfields etc getting rooted to hell and costing thousands of $ in damage and lost revenue and that just the little guys not counting the commercial loss. They gettin braver n braver rooting right up to people’s houses n steps, even braver enough to come to my yard!!(they didn’t live long) lots of times I can literally shoot them off my porch on the neighbors place,

Yes we are killing them but mainly just move them back n forth between properties, you put a little pressure on them n they will hit a creek n move down the rd n later they will either come back on their own or somebody else puts pressure on them n they move back to you.

You would have to kill 70 percent of the population every year just to keep the numbers from continuing to climb and there is no way to do that.

Here in tx there is no season no limits can hunt day night over bait with dogs helicopters etc n we are still losing the war, we do not want poison though n have already shot that down once.

Yes there are people that charge to hunt hogs, but way more offer them as a free bonus on deer hunts and they fair game on leased land for sure!! Anyone wants to trade hunts or fishing trip for a hog hunt you just hit me up n I’ll trade. We can ride around and shoot them out the truck, spot n stalk sit stands, bay n shoot with dogs or catch n stab with dogs, can do it from mar till sept as deer season will open and the leases will take over
im pretty selective these days i pretty much hunt for big trophy 7 year old boars and mainly hunt them at night. occasionally ill kill one to eat if it has a big long snoout and cutters those get my attention. i agree i love hunting them with my muzzleloaders

I take at least the blackstrap out of everyone and usually hams to unless I got a huge pile from the trap, I like to get a good fat sow to grind n mix with deer to make some sausage n use ground port in spaghetti n lasagna. I will go in Jan out west to ft macavet n shoot shoot 10-12 does on a population reduction hunt and then make lots sausage with it n the ground I hog I got put up.

I got 1 tract down here on the lake and big boars stay in beaver pond n guard this 1 feeder, they stay there day n night, I can kill one and within 12 hrs another big boat will take his place. I killed one late 1 evening n went n got the 4wheeler n drug him off, 30 min later another big boar made debut on the camera I gave him a week get settled n stucka arrow through him

No. You are wrong. The hogs are wreaking havoc on the environment. It is about saving the planet. Go back to Nintendo duck hunt.
yea but humans destroy the environment way more then pigs. so should they be shot down? pigs are a major problem without a doubt but man brought them here and there were canned pig hunts where they are fenced in on large acreage farms. many escaped and started breeding away

Helicopter hunts for hogs, for those who wonder what it costs:

I’m seeing $2275 per person, minimum 2 people, for 2 hours. You also need 4,000 acres for the hunt.

As a landowner the best hog is a dead one.

You guys are no fun.
I've told this story before, but around 20+ years ago a rancher that lived near Kamiah decided to turn loose some hogs. Bankruptcy and had to move, angry about something...I don't remember the details of why he let them loose. Of course they turned feral pretty quickly. A local finally contacted the F&G after seeing them and F&G was quick to react. They did a bunch of advertising to the public about it right away. Open season, no license needed, where they were last seen, shoot as many as you can, take the free meat. The locals in Clearwater County made short work of it thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back