• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda like hunting people at McDonald's. šŸ˜£ Just doesn't look "Sporting" and probably shouldn't be called "Hunting" but instead extermination of invasive animals. Puts a black mark on actual "Hunting" IMO.

That is a strange statement on a lot of levels....

Are you condemning duck hunting over decoys with calls? Predator hunting with calls and decoys? Dove hunting near a stock tank or hemp patch? Bulging elk in the Rockies? Sitting in a bow stand when you have put out doe in heat scent? I have done all of those things and never once felt that I was denigrating the sport.

My goodness, how do you see ā€œsportā€ hunting?

I am serious.

one of two things i would love to hunt someday, bears and boars...neither of which I have near me and I can't see paying someone $500 plus on top of travel cost when they are supposedly that bad for everyone. You want to thin them down then come down on what you charge (not saying some sort of fee for the work you put in scouting/baiting is bad but a weeks pay for one hog just isn't going to happen)

Kinda like hunting people at McDonald's. šŸ˜£ Just doesn't look "Sporting" and probably shouldn't be called "Hunting" but instead extermination of invasive animals. Puts a black mark on actual "Hunting" IMO.
thank you.

Feral pigs were designated a schedule C invasive pest in BC recently. That means open season and no limit. There's not that many here but sightings are being recorded. I see a spring hog hunt in my future. Get well Howie.

This might give a guy an idea of what we are dealing with in the south
YeB1gsHl.jpg

tKSsRZ8l.jpg

I have a lot of respect for Howie and how he does what he does with the porkers !!
Wow, Iā€™m impressed and honestly a bit scared, they have started to show their faces in canada. Here in quebec last year a farmer lost a bunch of is boars something about 2 douzine and hunters were told not to shoot them but reports
This might give a guy an idea of what we are dealing with in the south
YeB1gsHl.jpg

tKSsRZ8l.jpg

I have a lot of respect for Howie and how he does what he does with the porkers !!
this gets me a bit nervous they are starting to show their faces in canada. Iā€™m from quebec last year a farmer lost a bunch of wild boars about two dozen, we needed to report them if we saw any for recapture. Yea right, i just hope i donā€™t meet any of them, the boars i mean, they must be tasty. I donā€™t think they come home like pets, pur stupidity and after theyā€™ve tested freedom like all creatures theyā€™ll want more. But god would i like to hunt those critters .

Here in the Texas Panhandle hogs are playing hell with livestock and wildlife, especially destructive of our bobwhite quail. The country is so big and hunters so few that shooting them doesnā€™t even put a dent into the population. The best control we have is to have a good, healthy population of coyotes. A sows litter might be a dozen but by the time theyā€™re weaned only two or three remain, the coyotes having killed all the others. And of course the few mountain lions we have are feasting too. Of course coyotes can get out of control also and as a rancher thatā€™s when we have to eliminate a few of them.

Here in the Texas county I live in there are a group of young men (teens to early thirties) that hunt these hogs,at night, with knives ,Bowie knives mostly, they use dogs to surround the big hog and then they jump on the hogs back and reach around and cut their throat. I saw one in the local newspaper that weighted over 600 pounds. . . BTW sometimes the hog wins and broken bones and long gashes from those tusks happen.

šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
Personally, I like to use a night vision scope on a LR308 or Bushmaster 450 with a 20 round magazine,
I save my CVA .50 Mountain rifle for real game animals like deer.

Last edited:
Wherever the hogs are running loose and wild, they are nothing but problems. Our hunting of them will never lower the population enough, and I don't know what ever will. Of course we enjoy hunting them, and a lot of folks like eating them too, but we will never stop the damage they do to properties. I hate to think of it, but some of the idiots out there want to start poisoning them.
Places like California have been trying to turn them into moneymakers for the state, and they have no idea of how warped their policies are. You have to purchase tags to shoot them there and you are not allowed to even leave a big boar in the wilds after you kill it.....you have to take it with you. The big boars are not really edible and just stink like crazy !

Actually big boars are plenty edible, you just have to watch certain glands, I usually kill over 500 a year between high tech trap, dog huntin, using night vision to shoot them out of the hay fields people yards n cemeteryā€™s, plus off deer stands with gun and bow. I have run of 100,000 acres of timber land and I shoot them as I see them, lots of times will be in road or pipelines and I will stalk them. These around here have got where they will stand in the ditch and let the cars pass as long as donā€™t come to a stop n way more hogs hit on the highway now than deer. Hogs are very smart n have a great nose good ears n eyes way better than folks think,deer ainā€™t got nothin on a pig!!!

Good boar howie, i need get that 58 lined out n go shoot a few with it,

Maybe I could find a Mini 7.62 battery operated Gatlin gun for hogs and mount it on the side by side 4x4 UTV.

Wished we had a ferel hog problem here in Idaho..........
Here in Kansas the State spent a huge amount of money about 10-15 years ago to eliminate feral/wild hogs. We had a population on Ft. Riley close to where I live and also in the southeast area of the state. The state also made it illegal to hunt them to discourage folks from turning hogs loose or importing them. On the Fort they were quite destructive and very harmful to other game species. The same issue along with crop damage was the issue in the other parts of the state. There were also issues with them harboring diseases that could be passed to domestic hogs and creating severe problems.

I knew you would get em Howie That's a wicked beast what can shake off 370 gr lead with 80 gr BP behind it and I'm glad to see that little tree hawk making meat. Keep stacking those vile creatures up.

Take care O.R.
Old Rust, i told you id take it hunting after i bought it from you, its a light handy little carbine, but as of today i started shooting 460 grain no excuses out of it ive got some 600 grainers as well i got shook up after i shot because of the smoke in the air, and i knew when i didnt see him bang flop that it was going to be a track job, had i not hit the sapling that i did not see i might have dropped him but the bullet yawed after hitting the sappling ord id smoked his heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back