• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When does a makers work become collectable??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIR

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was informed by a good friend of mine who has been building longrifles and the like for 30+ years that he will not longer be building rifles anymore.I have had him build me 2 rifles in the past (in fact my ony 2)and when I got the news I was really saddened, because I wanted him to build me one more. :(
Assuming that this is for sure true, what makes a builders work collectable other than passing one, I would assume that if they no longer build that falls into the same category.

Now Im just wondering if I should keep shooting the 2 I have.....

I really fee lbad about this too, because this mans work will be missed and is also rare too as he concentrates in the southern school of rifles, which are far and few....

A makers work can become collectable while he/she is still alive and active if that person is widely recognized as one of the best. A poor maker or even average maker would not be collectable even after death. Some early 20th cent makers are collectable even though most current makers exceed them in quality--because they were 'pioneer links' in the chain of rifle building from the past until the present...A good friend of mine who has made many a rifle told me last weekend that he is quitting, too--arthritus is too bad to work at it anymore. I plan on honoring his work by continuing to use it.

You will be doing your friend more honor by shooting the two pieces you have than by putting them away in some closet in hopes of attaining a monitary collectable. It will not do either rifle any harm to use them as long as you do your job in their maintainence.

I'd shoot them,that's what you got them for and that's what he built them to do.
Just my 2 cents...

value of collectables, commeratives and such...
my train of thought is....enjoy them! let your heirs worry about the value!

I feel one should enjoy the investment if he isnt going to turn it soon. enjoyment and pride will have more value than interest, if any.

While buying the only "box of parts" rifle I ever sold, the buyer came over to my house to pick it up.

I spent 1/2 hour showing him the correct way to disassemble it and telling him the correct way to clean it. I also gave him a hand written listing of the ball/patch/powder loads it seemed to shoot best with.

After I finished with all of this the guy said, "I don't plan to ever shoot it. It will be hung over my fireplace."

Had I known that the buyer was never going to use it for what I made it for I would never have sold it to him.

The builder of your guns made them to be used so, pay him the respect you hold for him by shooting them.

Good stuff is collectable as soon as its made.
Shoot them. He didn't make they to set in a closet.
I have pretty decent rifle made for someone else by a friend.
I kinda hate hunting with it. But I have another in the works for a hunting rifle so it may get a break.
My friend is 75, started making rifles in the late 50's early 60s and has not made a rifle for at least 10 years . But he now has some parts on the way so there is hope.
His stuff has been collectable since the 60s.

Dan

use it ,hard to tell what happens to it after you are gone,,,might be trashed and you saved it for nothing,,, :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Back