When did tricorne hats fall from use in North America?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by hyuzu, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 9, 2019 #1

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

Most overviews I've seen online say that 1799-1800 was a cutoff for these hats. I've seen some illustrations (after the fact) of the Lewis and Clark expedition that show one or two guys wearing tricornes, but I was told that was inaccurate to the period.

I thought North America (particularly points west) might be a bit behind the latest European fashions ... did tricornes last there into the early years of the 19th century?

Nyckname likes this.
  2. Sep 9, 2019 #2

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 cal - b

Contrary to popular belief Meriwether Lewis did not wear a tricorn, but actually a french chapeau bras(bi-corn hat.) The chapeau bras was the common hat for an officer of the day and it was the type of hat issued, not the tricorn. The chapeau bras was the type of hat worn by Napoleon. After the fade of the tricorn was the popularity of top hats and for military officers, the chapeau bras.
    NWT Woodsman

3. Sep 11, 2019 #3

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

Were tricorns completely out of civilian use by this period too?

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 #4

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 cal - b

It seems civilian fashion would be replaced by the top hat and became popular around 1890's. Military headwear by the shako at the turn of the century.
    And the tricorn evolved into the bicorn worn by officers.

It seems just as buckled shoes, powdered wigs, breeches and frock coats were going out of style so was the tricorn. Once you get into and past 1895, it seems that the regency style of clothing took over, wich means no tricorns in dailey wear.

Now ovcorse that doesnt mean (all) people took the tricorn off their head and tossed it in the garbage, some old codger might wear the same clothing that they were confortable with.
    NWT Woodsman

hyuzu likes this.
  5. Sep 11, 2019 #5

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

A fine hat can last a life time. So a good tricorn of 1770 could still be in use fifty years later by the owner.
    However styles changed and people kept up with it, even on the frontier.
    There was a painting done during the Mexican war, and older gentleman has on breeches, people did wear out of date clothing.
    And hats were daily wear, cold hot wet and dry, most got replaced fairly often. A new hat would be in new styles.
    I would hesitate to use a tricorn beyond the 1790s.
    The last Alamo movie with Billy Bob Thortan showed Sam Huston in a tricorn. Clothing was pretty good in the movie so I don’t know why that was chosen. But that’s Hollywood.
    There was a Virginia regiment raised at the start of the WBTS that dressed Cr 1776 and I think they had tricorns.
    Today people get to ‘do your own thang’ but social pressure to look ‘normal’ was strong back then.

hyuzu and NW Territory Woodsman like this.
  6. Sep 11, 2019 #6

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

Just a quick clarification, I assume you meant 1790s there, rather than 1890s? I'm pretty definite tricornes were long gone by the turn of the 20th century... :p

For sure. That's why I was wondering whether tricornes survived into the beginning of the 19th century as socially acceptable, or if by that time they were your grandad's clothing...

7. Sep 11, 2019 #7

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

The turn of the 19th century military and civilian use of the cocked hat changed to the bicorn for officers and top hats for military and civilians, followed in a short time to the Shako for many units, civilian top hats taking a different direction...
    ROYAL MARINES 1800s.jpg

Marine hats at Trafalgar 1805
    Royal Marines 1800s 2.png

Then by Waterloo the hats were often thus for most privates

ROYAL MARINES 1800s 33rd Infantry.jpg

LD

8. Sep 11, 2019 #8

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 cal - b

Stupid me, your right, 1790s thats what I meant!:doh:

Shot deer and hyuzu like this.
  9. Sep 11, 2019 #9

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

No worries, they're too close to each other on the keyboard. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some strange part of the country I hadn't heard of where people were wearing tricornes into the Victorian era ;)

---------

Well, the impression I'm getting out of this thread is basically what I'd assumed. Seems tricornes were old hat (pardon the pun) by 1800. Interesting to see the posts about what replaced them. I'd seen civvy top hats from the period, not as much about the military shakos, bicornes, etc. (other than that Napoleon wore one of the latter).

Thanks for the replies guys!

10. Sep 11, 2019 #10

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 cal - b

You bet Hyuzu!
    NWT Woodsman