• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When did the term "muzzleloader" come to be ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thinking the other day, about the term muzzleloader, and how it describes a type of firearm that loads from the muzzle. In their time they were called rifles, muskets, etc. So when did the term "muzzleloader" come to be , referring to black powder/ load from the muzzle firearms ? Anyone know the history ? -Thanks

And yes, if I was a cat I'd be dead lol.

I may be mistaken but I believe the term “muzzleloader” is more of a modern, 20th century term or monicker given to a weapon which is loaded through the muzzle?

The first firearm, I believe, was known as the “Fire Lance” which appeared in China between the 10 and 12th centuries. I think a more original or classic term for a “muzzleloader” would be musket. I believe the term "musket" or Moschetti appeared in Europe somewhere around the 14th century, I think?

Last edited:
I guess it was shortly after the cartridge became the norm, before that I'm sure they were just called guns.
You can easily get into the weeds with this question but I would say that you are correct, the term “muzzleloader”, I would venture to say, is more a modern term. Early firearms before the mid-19th century were almost entirely loaded by the muzzle.

I may be mistaken but I believe the term “muzzleloader” is more of a modern, 20th century term or monicker given to a weapon which is loaded through the muzzle?

The first firearm, I believe, was known as the “Fire Lance” which appeared in China between the 10 and 12th centuries. I think a more original or classic term for a “muzzleloader” would be musket. I believe the term "musket" or Moschetti appeared in Europe somewhere around the 14th century, I think?
I think that true, but still fit a particular type of gun. I think it’s fifteenth century. I belive our earliest known gun is 1399 or a little before, found in castle that was razed in 1399. There is a 1346 drawing in a book marginal area, but we can’t date it and it may have been added later. I’m thinking gonne was the fourteenth century term.

16456656311514084129662039335459.jpg

OED 2nd Edition

I'm always spelling it different--sometimes hyphenated sometimes not. I've seen it
as two words,then hyphenated and one contracted word. I think it must be very old.

My guess would be it's a fairly "modern" term. Literature I've read from the early 1800s and back, I don't recall ever seeing it. The other rabbit hole you could go down is when did the term "black powder" become prevalent. I've seen early references to smokeless powder as "white powder" and a formulation of it was a French military secret in the late 1800s. Prior to that, I've seen it referred to as simply "gunpowder".

There were breechloaders in fifteenth century. And many of the earliest cannon were breechloaders. So it may be contemporary with them.
However breechloaders were so rare gun and muzzleloader would mean the same.

Good point.
More likely, I'd venture a theory, the term came into use in places where breechloaders had become more common, or the norm, for the guns most often seen/used. The term differentiates them from the breechloaders, which were now what people thought of when they heard "gun", "rifle", "shotgun", "pistol", "revolver" and etc.

In certain parts of the world at the end of the 19th, and beginning of the 20th century, the indigenous population referred to breech loaders by what they had seen... so they would say "Enfield", "Mauser", or "Vetterli" and etc. while their term for "gun" to them meant what we'd call a muzzle loader.

LD

Last edited:
Just thinking the other day, about the term muzzleloader, and how it describes a type of firearm that loads from the muzzle. In their time they were called rifles, muskets, etc. So when did the term "muzzleloader" come to be , referring to black powder/ load from the muzzle firearms ? Anyone know the history ? -Thanks

And yes, if I was a cat I'd be dead lol.
Interesting! Guess it was when cartridge arms became available, to differentiate. Never thought of that! Something new always on this site.

Back