Quantcast

When did the hole came in?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Ike Godsey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy!!

Most of you do have a great insight in the development of the Flintlock…

When you look at your Rocklock, and your Top Jaw Screw does have a hole in it, did you ever thought about when this hole comes in use in the Top Jaw Screw?

We know the British used this from the beginning oft he 1770s on.

But what about the „private gunsmith“?
Those who made rifles and maybe smoothbores out of used parts?

So again, when did the hole came in??

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score

Auldjin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I think the point is that with a hole, you don't need a screwdriver and a ramrod. The ramrod goes through the hole to give leverage.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I think the point is that with a hole, you don't need a screwdriver and a ramrod. The ramrod goes through the hole to give leverage.
With respect,

The holes in the top jaw screws don't look large enough to have used the Iron/Steel Rammer?

However, with a properly designed "Y" shaped Musket tool, the end of the arm that held the worm - would work to turn the hole in the top jaw screw.

Musket Tool by Jymm Hoffman (paaba.net)

Scots Wha Hae,

Gus

Auldjin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have attached a picture of an engraved mark which may be relevant but surely the "An XIII" refers to the 13th year of the French Republic rather than 1813 does it not?
Charleville An XIII flintlock  (1).JPG

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry the picture is not top quality.View attachment 65553
BTW, that is a great looking pistol, do YA, shoot it? I have one and shoot mine with 30 GRS, of 2FF. a wad of HORNETS NEST over the powder & then HORNETS NEST OVER THE BALL, to keep it from rolling out, also buckshot. it is easy on the pistol and the old girl makes Smoak again!

Ike Godsey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have attached a picture of an engraved mark which may be relevant but surely the "An XIII" refers to the 13th year of the French Republic rather than 1813 does it not?View attachment 65596
That could be true.
But the British "used" the hole in the top jaw screw in the 1770s.
My qustion points to a maybe earlier date - lets say a 1750s Flint Rifle oder Fowler or what ever and maybe even from 1710 Dog Locks - I just want to know if it is possible to have a Flint Lock Fowler / Trade Gun / Musket with the hole in the Top Jaw Screw in the 1740s?

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
That could be true.
My qustion points to a maybe earlier date - lets say a 1750s Flint Rifle oder Fowler or what ever and maybe even from 1710 Dog Locks - I just want to know if it is possible to have a Flint Lock Fowler / Trade Gun / Musket with the hole in the Top Jaw Screw in the 1740s?
In the following link, go to the second photo of a group of locks. Look carefully at number "(3.) A flat British export pattern having a distinctive right angle in the lockplate forward of the frizzen and a panoply of arms engraved on its tail (c. 1730-1760)." Notice the hole through the Top Jaw Screw?

Hunting Guns in Colonial America (ladybemused.com)

Gus

Ike Godsey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
In the following link, go to the second photo of a group of locks. Look carefully at number "(3.) A flat British export pattern having a distinctive right angle in the lockplate forward of the frizzen and a panoply of arms engraved on its tail (c. 1730-1760)." Notice the hole through the Top Jaw Screw?

Hunting Guns in Colonial America (ladybemused.com)

Gus
GUS!!! THANK YOU!!! Thats what I was looking for!! :)

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Frage und du wirst bekommen...,

Lock from an English Sea Service Musket, during Queen Anne's Reign....

QUEEN ANNE DOGLOCK SEA MUSKET.JPG

Lock from an English Trade Musket, during Queen Anne's Reign...,

QUEEN ANNE DOGLOCK TRADE MUSKET.JPG

LD