• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheellock firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have not been able to post a link that will work for showing you the video of my wheellock lighting its pan at 5000 frames per second.
So I invite you to go to[url] www.photobucket.com[/url] and login as volatpluvia and type in shooter as my password and click on wheelfiring001.
I humbly ask that you don't missuse my acount.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks for that!

Hm, how can I use that to understand the design... 3/4 anticlockwise turn of wheel, bounces back 1/4; time gap from spin to flash; pan flash and blowback from touchhole are almost simultaneous; and the issue about aiming the touchhole at the back of the pan, not at the pyrite is reinforced.

Awesome, that wheel lock rifle is really cool, great work. :bow: :bow:
I gotta get one of them somewhere. :)

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. Thanks for posting that! I've seen flintlocks in slow motion, but that's way cooler.

Thanks Guys!
I have watched about fifteen times already and it just makes me want to see it again.
volatpluvia

Benvenuto,
There simply isn't anything to stop it. It pulls tight against the spring and backlashes. Now I don't know if having no crosscuts on the wheel allows it to travel farther or not. I'm thinking that I could engineer more spring pressure on the dog, looking at the video. That might give me more sparks to speed up the lighting of the powder, but I wouldn't be able to tell without videoing it again. And I don't know if that will be possible. Having that camera and equipment available would be an awesome help in tuning locks!
volatpluvia

Ah, ChrisPer, ahem,
The lock was off the rifle at the time. If you look closely you see my hands behind the lock holding it. It did not fit the jig Larry had to put the locks into. So all the fire you see is the pan lighting.
Now I see that I did not say, the gentleman with the camera noted the frames expended at 5000 per second and determined that the whole sequence from first movement to only smoke hanging over the lock took just less than one seventh of a second!
When we shot the rifle later at the offhand line the comments were normaly, "That is fast!"
volatpluvia

volatpluvia,
When I get home from kevin's I'll try to get some more locks on youtube. Your's is unusual enough to be a good one for a youtube video. i'll let you know whenit's ready.
Pletch

ChrisPer,
Been there and done that many times myself. :surrender: :shake: :shocked2: :wink: Hee! Hee!
volatpluvia

Latest posts

Back