• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheat Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Wheat_Flintlock.jpg

Made this for Mike in Cayuga, ND. Left handed .45, L&R Durs Egg lock, 42" Green Mountain barrel, Don Eades stock. This was my 6th muzzleloader.

Nice grain, both wood and wheat...

Keeping in tune with the wheat theme, a wheet penny could have been made into a front sight blade...

Nice, I have buddy of mine that is doing a butterfly themed gun. He's got butterflys everywhere: Barrel, lockplate, and even the front sight. I'll have to go over there and snap a few pictures even though it's not finished yet.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke- Thanks. Happy Birthday (yesterday). I went to country grade school with a family of Hudspeths in Giard, Iowa in the mid '40's. 1940's, that is. Looked at your web site and like your Virginia smoothbore. Your Hawken,too. Don't know much about southern mountain rifles. When I learn how to make Photobucket work (again), I'll post one or two of my Hawkens. I'd like to see the butterfly theme. My latest theme will have eagles.

06c105bd.jpg
When Mike got his new rifle, I showed him how to load it. His son in law, Dana, put a used oil filter about 30 yards away out in the yard for a target. When Mike shot, Dana brought it back and said "you didn't lead him enough". See the hole at the back of the deer?

Herb,
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw it today. :eek: The rifle was made by a buddy of mine, his name is Larry Gardner and he made it for his wife. Here is his website as well as some pictures below.

Art and Arms <---- double click

Joan6.jpg

Joan7.jpg

Joan9.jpg

Joan10.jpg

Joan11.jpg

You mention that your next rifle will have a eagle theme. Larry built a rifle for a guy a few years ago that had eagles. It also had some 20 odd feet of sterling silver wire.

A&APhoto5a.jpg

It's presently in the NRA museum as an example of contemporary muzzleloaders. Larry often builds guns with themes. He's build rifles with hummingbirds, fighting roosters, herons, squirrels. All of theme incorporating into the carving, inlays, and rifle furniture. I honestly think it would kill Larry if he had to make a plain rifle. He is truly an artist.

S'poke

That's a nice eagle. As a former wildlife biologist, I've seen thousands of eagles. I like that posture. Great photo, too. Thanks for posting it.

Do you know how he does those butterflies on the barrel? Are they inlaid or on the surface? If it's a secret, can you be bought? ::

The "Butterfly Gun" has 70 butterfly and is 36 caliber. It's really amazing because it doesn't look gaudy.

Robin, I think he cut the design into the barrel, then under cut it somehow so that when he hammered the brass down, it went under the barrel kinda like a dovetail therefore holding it in place. I'm going over there tonight, I'll ask him.

If you ever make it over to this side of the pond again, you'll have to stay in Maryland for a couple days. I don't have a Hawken, but you could do some babysitting.

Chuck

I talked to Larry tonight and he told me how he did the butterflys in the barrel.

1. He drew the design on the barrel
2. Then he used a engraver to outlined the design in the barrel.
3. He use a chisel and removed the inner most part.
4. Then he undercut the edges and hammered in the brass.

No babysitting required! :)

Hey Herb check out my new patchbox !!!!!

Box.JPG

You guys are artists far beyond my poor ability. Thanks much for those great photos of that beautiful work! Just so we don't get discouraged, if we build (muzzleloading firearms or whatever), we each must do our best work and know that there are artists we'll never be able to approach in ability. But keep trying. Thanks again, Slowpoke, for that beautiful picture. Can we see the rest of it when its done?

Jeez Slowpoke

If you go on doing work like that I might have to break my habit of a lifetime and say something nice about you :shocking:

Looks like I have to do some practice engraving, unless I could etch the cavity, I believe one can get an undercut by etching.

Now look what you did Slowpoke. I went and visited Larry's website. Now it is time to go change my shirt since it is soaked from all the drooling. I was trying to figure which gun was my favorite and could not. After reading the article, I am thinking about asking my wife if we can move closer so I could apprentice with him. What a dream that would be. I will have to check my calendar and see if I can make one of the shows coming up at which he will be attending. As I am building my first longrifle, I sometimes get impatient to get it finished and to get to a point that I could build something with inlays. I always remember what Zonie said "we all got to start somewhere, and hopefully the beautiful pieces of artwork will inspire someone to try harder to do better next time". Actually I had to paraphrase that Zonie because I have a hard time talking like you type. :haha: What a website. Thanks
Zman

He holds classes at his home every Tuesday and Thursday nights. He helps us with problems and shows us tricks of the trade. I'm presently working on a Chamber's York kit and it's just about finished. It's going to be a very unique gun, you'll see what I mean when I get finished. It should be to much longer, I guarantee you've never seen a gun like it.

Chuck

Zman: " I always remember what Zonie said "we all got to start somewhere, and hopefully the beautiful pieces of artwork will inspire someone to try harder to do better next time". Actually I had to paraphrase that Zonie because I have a hard time talking like you type"

Don't ye fret 'oer it. Ah has a hard time spellin like Zonie two an Ah are him! Ye remembared what Ah was gettin at an that are the importnt thin, Ah says!

It are a humblin expirince beint round em artiests what posted em pitchers up above, an Ah am speakin fer myself bein humbled. But on tha brite side, Ah kant thin of better people ta try an learn from.

An fer ole Stumpy an Mooskeetman, did ye see that post up above? Why it's a talkin 'bout guns with over twice the inlays of ma most inlayed gun!!! So ye just quit a pickin on poor ole Zonie, Ye har?? :cry:

An fer ole Stumpy an Mooskeetman, did ye see that post up above? Why it's a talkin 'bout guns with over twice the inlays of ma most inlayed gun!!! So ye just quit a pickin on poor ole Zonie, Ye har?? :cry:

We were just picking on your Bedford Zonie because we never did see inlays held on a muzzleloader with chewing gum before...

Our question is, who chewed the gum for ya?

Can't be you, with only one tooth and all... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Latest posts

Back