• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats your opinion on this one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
parts gun

My guess. IMHO, $700.00 is too much without knowing more. If the lock is good that price is tops. Not many customers looking for something like that. I'll betcha you can negotiate a lower price.

It ain't a parts gun. And call me foolish but I'd have paid $700 in a heartbeat, even unsure of it pedigree/provenance.

I'm a dissenting opinion. I'd not pay more than half the asking price. Check the bore, touch hole, after sure it's not loaded, see if it sparks. Why do you want it? What would you do with it? How does it fit you if you think it's a shooter?

In my opinion this is a 1777design based musket maybe American Made.
It has a lot of attributes of the US M1816 but I do not think it"s a 16.
The sling lug slot is visible just ahead of the trigger bow if you look close.
American canidates are....Whitney etc etc and others 1812 era Contract musket....
Many of the 1812 era Contract muskets will have attributes of the 95 and the later US prodiction 16. This may explain the lack of the lock eagle.
It could be a Belgian copy of a 1777 but I think it's American.

I was wondering the same thing earlier (that it may be a Contract Musket), due in no small part to the bayonet lug on top of the barrel and a couple other things.

I would really like to see the inside of the lock to see what, if any markings may be there. Those who deliberately altered lock plate, barrel and other markings often/usually did not bother with markings inside the lock plate. Also, it would be very interesting to see the underside of the barrel.

Gus

If anyone is interested the gun is located at Cabela's Richfield WI store.

Just went there a hour ago and it is still for sale tagged at $799

Back