• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your Moose Milk mixture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 ounces Napa water soluble oil, one ounce Murphy's oil soap, and 20 ounces water. Shaken, not stirred. I use it to wipe between shots, not as a patch lube.

ADK Bigfoot

SAYS WHO?????? I am not to be swayed by these modernistic, fad-driven ideas! Next thing you know they will be telling me to switch to cap locks and powder substitutes!!! I will not be assimilated!!! Resistance is NOT futile!!!

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand Napa changed the oil and it didn't work as good as the old one. Just what I heard. I always used Ballistol for moose milk.

btw..Nothing modern about it. Ballistol has been around way longer than Napa. Resistance is futile. You'll be assimilated soon.

Why are some using Ballistol mix for target shooting and then bear grease for hunting? whats bear grease? and are you spraying moose milk on the patches or soaking for target shooting? Saw on you tube someone would mix Ballistol with water ,soak patch material ,let dry and have lubed patches

When you render the fat from a bear, the liquid formed as the fats separate into oil and solids is the bear grease as it will solidify into a thick grease as it cools. Bear grease stays slick and is not soluble in water making it ideal as a hunting patch lubricant.

Ballistol is emulsified in water and when sprayed on patch material or used to dampen patches works fine on the range as it will be used before the water evaporates from the patch or the water may start rusting the barrel steel. If you are doing the wipe the bore between shots on the target range, you can take advantage of using the Ballistol and water mix as a dry lube by wetting the patch material and letting it dry out. To use as a dry lubed patch, the barrel must be wiped between shots or there is a high degree of likelihood that the ball and patch will get stuck on the built up fouling.

If you want to avoid wiping between shots at the target range, then use a very wet patch with Ballistol and water. The wet patched ball will wipe the fouling down to the powder charge. Shoot soon after loading to keep the wetness from the patch from contaminating the powder.

I use a wide mouth bottle to dampen the patch material. I squeeze out any excess moisture before loading. I do wipe the bore between shots. I pay attention to flash channels to ensure they are clear of fouling build up by wiping between shots.

Why are some using Ballistol mix for target shooting and then bear grease for hunting? whats bear grease? and are you spraying moose milk on the patches or soaking for target shooting? Saw on you tube someone would mix Ballistol with water ,soak patch material ,let dry and have lubed patches
Works awesome 1 part ballistol 1 part dawn dish soap and 4 parts water

I would but unless you’re in Canada I’m pretty sure shipping outside of country would be classified as International Trade in Bear Parts, or something such.
Walk

Hansi..............that photo of the folks milking a cow moose gives me the "creeps." I was fortunate as a kid to spend some time in Quebec in the 1950's. We vacationed and fished , where the road ended , and there were many moose in the woods . In close contact with moose , they were unpredictable , would chase you to drive you away. Luckily , the three scary encounters I experienced w/them ended well for me. I'm an old guy now , and sight of a moose still unsettles me. Thanks for the photo.........oldwood

Yep, mooses/meese or whatever the plural is are more bigger than us and I twoodunt milk one!

No matter which end of a moose the "snot" comes from , I won't desire to do more than view a video of someone collecting it. I have enough pain investing my body w/o another encounter w/ a moose. :ghostly:

When you render the fat from a bear, the liquid formed as the fats separate into oil and solids is the bear grease as it will solidify into a thick grease as it cools. Bear grease stays slick and is not soluble in water making it ideal as a hunting patch lubricant.

Ballistol is emulsified in water and when sprayed on patch material or used to dampen patches works fine on the range as it will be used before the water evaporates from the patch or the water may start rusting the barrel steel. If you are doing the wipe the bore between shots on the target range, you can take advantage of using the Ballistol and water mix as a dry lube by wetting the patch material and letting it dry out. To use as a dry lubed patch, the barrel must be wiped between shots or there is a high degree of likelihood that the ball and patch will get stuck on the built up fouling.

If you want to avoid wiping between shots at the target range, then use a very wet patch with Ballistol and water. The wet patched ball will wipe the fouling down to the powder charge. Shoot soon after loading to keep the wetness from the patch from contaminating the powder.

I use a wide mouth bottle to dampen the patch material. I squeeze out any excess moisture before loading. I do wipe the bore between shots. I pay attention to flash channels to ensure they are clear of fouling build up by wiping between shots.
but where do you find a fat bear? Ben Lilly wiped them out in this country years ago.
Ballistol comes in a tall skinny and smells funny can but works well with water.
Bunk

Back in the mid 1990's I was introduced to a mixture of one bottle hydrogen peroxide, one bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and one bottle of Murphy's Oil soap. I never saw any other formulas for the stuff until I joined here. We only used it on muskets that fired blanks, and it was great to get rid of the massive fouling a Bess developed when shooting GOEX 3Fg blanks.

LD

FYI…from Ballistol website …
https://ballistol.com/uses/firearm-cleaning-lubricant/
BLACK POWDER SOLVENT
Due to its alkaline character, Ballistol is ideal for cleaning and maintaining black powder firearms. The residues from black powder in chambers and bores are acidic. Ballistol neutralizes and dissolves them. This eliminates the need for aggressive solvents.

Since Ballistol emulsifies with water, mix one part Ballistol and two parts water to make one of the best black powder solvents available.

CORROSIVE AMMO
Again, due to its alkalinity, Ballistol neutralizes corrosive ammo residue. Ballistol can be used straight or as an emulsification to neutralize potassium salts left by corrosive ammo. Use 10% Ballistol to 90% water for an initial flush. Continue regular cleaning with straight Ballistol.”

Ballistol pH is stated to be 8.5-9.5.
Murphy's Oil Soap, 11.
These are good things for neutralizing the acidic combustion products of black powder.
What about the addition to DIY cleaning solutions of some sodium carbonate or the milder sodium bicarbonate? Anyone doing that?

Latest posts

Back