• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your Moose Milk mixture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@lonewolf172, Your mixture is also called MAP and some will call that same mixture Moose Milk.

I expect that there are many variations of the mix of a water soluble oil that emulsifies with water to make a milky mix.

My mix is still being made from an old bottle of the NAPA cutting oil. One part of oil to 7 parts of water. The ration can vary from 1 to 1 to 1 part oil to 10 parts of oil. All seem to work pretty good as a patch lubricant or bore cleaner.

Ballistol will also mix with water and emulsify, so those mixtures also qualify as Moose Milk.

Then there are other variants. You will save time by doing a search on the forum for Moose Milk. Be prepared to spend several hours reading all the threads.

I prefer the formula that doesn't have to be mixed.
moose-milk.jpg

1 part MOS
1 part Water Soluble Cutting Oil
1 part Water
Used as a wet (damp) patch.
I only use this when shooting trail walks, targets or gatherings. For hunting I use bear grease or Track’s Mink Oil.
Walk

I use Dutchs' mix of 1 part Ballistol, 1 part Pinesol, and 20 parts water. I add 10% isopropyl alcohol in winter to keep it from freezing. I use this as a wiping solution on a damp patch, or a wetter patch for cleaning at home. I usually use spit for a patch lube.

I save the milk for my coffee and cereal. For ML patches on the range I use liquid soap and water. When my little squeeze bottle get low I use a squirt of dish soap and top up the bottle.

I prefer the formula that doesn't have to be mixed.
moose-milk.jpg
I would think getting her to stand still would be the hard part of this process unless you a moose whisperer. I'm not so my options would be scaring her out of the county or pissing her off and getting stomped into the dirt...

Last edited:
actually the best cleaner is water mixed with oil of kumquat picked by a fourty year old virgin wearing a red bikini from odd numbered trees on even numbered rows during a full moon in the second week of an even numbered month. Never fails.
Better even than fresh pregnant female rhinoceros pee every time.
Bunk

Original mixture from 1968 I got from an old timer at Friendship was 1 oz Lestoil, 2 oz peroxide, 1 oz water soluble oil and 16 oz water. Patch lube for match shooting, bore cleaner, and shotgun wad soaker.

Hansi..............that photo of the folks milking a cow moose gives me the "creeps." I was fortunate as a kid to spend some time in Quebec in the 1950's. We vacationed and fished , where the road ended , and there were many moose in the woods . In close contact with moose , they were unpredictable , would chase you to drive you away. Luckily , the three scary encounters I experienced w/them ended well for me. I'm an old guy now , and sight of a moose still unsettles me. Thanks for the photo.........oldwood

Hansi..............that photo of the folks milking a cow moose gives me the "creeps." I was fortunate as a kid to spend some time in Quebec in the 1950's. We vacationed and fished , where the road ended , and there were many moose in the woods . In close contact with moose , they were unpredictable , would chase you to drive you away. Luckily , the three scary encounters I experienced w/them ended well for me. I'm an old guy now , and sight of a moose still unsettles me. Thanks for the photo.........oldwood
My grandfather had a team of moose, and found them very loyal. PITA raising them though, once too big for the house they would stay on the porch and cry to get in. Took a long time to get them through that phase he said.
Walk

I'm going to use just Balistol and water from now on. It has the consistency of spit and I only use it for the range anymore cuz I don't generate enough saliva, even if I think about big plates of bacon, eggs, home fries, sourdough toast with my wife homemade jam's. I use water for cleaning.
Robby

Back