• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite sight in target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

side of a "Chewey" pet food delivery box
we have stacks of these in our junk room
masking tape covers the holes just fine
shoot all day for maybe a nickels worth of target material

I learned just how VALUABLE it is to have a white or off white small center in a large black bullseye target for sighting in.
I agree 100%! I use a white square inside a much larger black square, using a 6 o’clock hold onto the bottom of the white.

Try it ... for YOU will become a better shooter instantly!

For those who say they like ‘flourescent’ colors, it advised not to use the flo-orange or flo-red together in combination with a larger black bullseye, as your eye rods/cones cannot focus on either at the same time and being in the same plane - your focus will constantly be shifting. You might “get away with it” for 1-3 shots, but not for longer shooting sessions.

That’s why for my most accurate aiming and shooting, I follow typical high power regimens and techniques, as they have been proven through multiple stages of fire consisting of 20-rounds per stage.

I am a big fan of the shoot-n-c targets. I bought a pack of the large size and really enjoyed using them. A large sheet of paper with a few black dots from a marker work well too, then pieces of masking tape to freshen. I use either option depending on what I have at the time.

I use a plain sheet of paper from my printer. Draw an X from corner to corner with a marker. Then color in a center dot the size of a coin.
Then run 30 copies off. Easy, and easy to see which way to drift the sights. I'm good to see a nickel size dot at 75 but might need a quarter at 100. Not sayin I can hit it, but I can see it at that distance.
This was about sighting it in, right?

These are just a few of the many types of targets I use. Some I make, black square, some were given to me. But the bulk of them came from the range. It's amazing what stuff shooters will trashcan before leaving. I haven't bought a target in decades yet still have hundreds of and a wide variety of them. Half of those I found at the range were unshot and the other half had from just one to a few holes in them. They were easily patched up. Even pristine "shoot n c" with stick-on patches, bullseye and silhouette targets were left behind.

PICT0404.jpg

A 6 o'clock holds works for me on black bullseye.
PICT0509-1.jpg

Picked up lots of these.
PICT0601-zps8a3b69e2.jpg

Bought these in the early 1970s and still have a few.

Something else that has worked for me, to really give a precise aiming point, is to draw an inverted/upside down triangle on a.....wait for it....paper plate. By perching the point of the triangle on the front sight gives me a very repeatable sight picture.

I probably should just draw one vertical line on the plate, from top to bottom, to give a more precise horizontal reference point.

For some reason, trying to align my sights on the center of a black bullseye, or circle, does not work for me. Or I should say a black background does not give me good sight alignment.

Paper plates with a big black dot in the middle work well for me for up close work. I mix a little spit and black powder on the plate and smear it around until I have a dot the right size.

I use a plain sheet of paper from my printer. Draw an X from corner to corner with a marker. Then color in a center dot the size of a coin.
Then run 30 copies off. Easy, and easy to see which way to drift the sights. I'm good to see a nickel size dot at 75 but might need a quarter at 100. Not sayin I can hit it, but I can see it at that distance.

http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/targets/sightin_large_x_grid.pdf
This ^

I have access to free targets at the range where I shoot with my annual membership now. I used to just draw crossed vertical and horizontal lines on a 8x10 sheet of white paper with a black marker and then make about a 1" diamond in the center. If shooting at 100 yards I would make it slightly larger if it was hard to see.

I like the "Shoot-N-See" stick on targets from Academy (I don't shop for anything at Dick's). The holes are visible at a good distance; and, the small accompanying repair dots make the target last longer.

Simple and brilliant. I’m gonna give this a go.

I use a similar target to the above. I also like to have the 1" grid lines marked on the target. Makes urban easy reference for group size and how far from point of aim. Once you have a sight in target you like, use the copy center to make the duplicate targets. Much cheaper than using your own ink.

IMG_1150.jpeg
IMG_1151.jpeg
I like Herbs reports and noticed his targets What's your favorite sight in target/s say 25,50 & 100 yrds and why.View attachment 5833
Two main reasons: Both targets have vertical and horizontal lines to align my sights, verses tying to eye ball dead center. Shooting at 100 yrds these V & H lines especially help me as bull ends up being covered with my sights. I always shoot a dead on hold. Grid give me dimensions for group size or distance from my POA
Flintlocklar
IMG_1150.jpeg
IMG_1151.jpeg

10" or 12" AR500 steel gong. Paint white. Bang away, Hits are super easy to see out to 100 meters.
After 5 or 10 shots, run down range and hit it with some Wally World 93 cents a can fast prime and repeat.
I generally sight in at 75 meters, then move to 100 meters to work on "minute of deer" shots. Then I move to 200 yards just to see how good I can see.....
No printing, no paper, no staples, no stickies no backers, no muss, no fuss.
When I am done I just chunk them in the back of the truck until the next outing.
I have gongs from 2" to 16" for every application....
20190216_152301.jpg

I too prefer the steel gong over the paper target. Everything Griz said about them is true, except for maybe the "super easy to see" part. Oh they're seeable just not super easy. (For me anyway!) And you can really impress the nosey neighbor with the sound they make.

Out to fifty yards I use the fifty yard usmc slow fire pistol target for the 45, 50 and 54 rifles. I can use this target for shooting out further if I need to but my vision isn't what it once was so I keep targets closer than I used to. I will make cardboard cutouts of a squirrel or rabbit for my 36 and 31 cal rifles for practicing head shots. I've found shooting at non round or square targets helps me with hunting animals and making better hits.

Back