What's your favorite sight in target

Discussion in 'Flintlock Rifles' started by bldtrailer, Mar 4, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 5, 2019 #21

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Blowin' Smoke MLF Supporter

[​IMG]

side of a "Chewey" pet food delivery box
    we have stacks of these in our junk room
    masking tape covers the holes just fine
    shoot all day for maybe a nickels worth of target material

2. Mar 5, 2019 #22

Flint62Smoothie

Flint62Smoothie

Flint62Smoothie

50 Cal.

I agree 100%! I use a white square inside a much larger black square, using a 6 o’clock hold onto the bottom of the white.

Try it ... for YOU will become a better shooter instantly!

For those who say they like ‘flourescent’ colors, it advised not to use the flo-orange or flo-red together in combination with a larger black bullseye, as your eye rods/cones cannot focus on either at the same time and being in the same plane - your focus will constantly be shifting. You might “get away with it” for 1-3 shots, but not for longer shooting sessions.

That’s why for my most accurate aiming and shooting, I follow typical high power regimens and techniques, as they have been proven through multiple stages of fire consisting of 20-rounds per stage.

3. Mar 6, 2019 #23

Livbucks

Livbucks

Livbucks

36 Cal.

I am a big fan of the shoot-n-c targets. I bought a pack of the large size and really enjoyed using them. A large sheet of paper with a few black dots from a marker work well too, then pieces of masking tape to freshen. I use either option depending on what I have at the time.

4. Mar 6, 2019 #24

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    I use a plain sheet of paper from my printer. Draw an X from corner to corner with a marker. Then color in a center dot the size of a coin.
    Then run 30 copies off. Easy, and easy to see which way to drift the sights. I'm good to see a nickel size dot at 75 but might need a quarter at 100. Not sayin I can hit it, but I can see it at that distance.
    This was about sighting it in, right?

Jamie from Alberta likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2019 #25

bldtrailer

bldtrailer

bldtrailer

Pilgrim

yes sir sighting in( or working up loads)

6. Mar 6, 2019 #26

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

These are just a few of the many types of targets I use. Some I make, black square, some were given to me. But the bulk of them came from the range. It's amazing what stuff shooters will trashcan before leaving. I haven't bought a target in decades yet still have hundreds of and a wide variety of them. Half of those I found at the range were unshot and the other half had from just one to a few holes in them. They were easily patched up. Even pristine "shoot n c" with stick-on patches, bullseye and silhouette targets were left behind.

[​IMG]
    A 6 o'clock holds works for me on black bullseye.
    [​IMG]
    Picked up lots of these.
    [​IMG]
    Bought these in the early 1970s and still have a few.
    [​IMG]

7. Mar 7, 2019 #27

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

Something else that has worked for me, to really give a precise aiming point, is to draw an inverted/upside down triangle on a.....wait for it....paper plate. By perching the point of the triangle on the front sight gives me a very repeatable sight picture.

I probably should just draw one vertical line on the plate, from top to bottom, to give a more precise horizontal reference point.

For some reason, trying to align my sights on the center of a black bullseye, or circle, does not work for me. Or I should say a black background does not give me good sight alignment.

8. Mar 7, 2019 #28

Many Klatch

Many Klatch

Many Klatch

69 Cal.

Paper plates with a big black dot in the middle work well for me for up close work. I mix a little spit and black powder on the plate and smear it around until I have a dot the right size.

smo likes this.
  9. Mar 7, 2019 #29

mlshooter

mlshooter

mlshooter

32 Cal

S.Kenton likes this.
  10. Mar 7, 2019 #30

Jamie from Alberta

Jamie from Alberta

Jamie from Alberta

40 Cal.

http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/targets/sightin_large_x_grid.pdf
    This ^

11. Mar 7, 2019 #31

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

I have access to free targets at the range where I shoot with my annual membership now. I used to just draw crossed vertical and horizontal lines on a 8x10 sheet of white paper with a black marker and then make about a 1" diamond in the center. If shooting at 100 yards I would make it slightly larger if it was hard to see.

12. Mar 7, 2019 #32

Bugman

Bugman

Bugman

32 Cal.

I like the "Shoot-N-See" stick on targets from Academy (I don't shop for anything at Dick's). The holes are visible at a good distance; and, the small accompanying repair dots make the target last longer.

13. Mar 8, 2019 #33

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Simple and brilliant. I’m gonna give this a go.

14. Mar 8, 2019 #34

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

I use a similar target to the above. I also like to have the 1" grid lines marked on the target. Makes urban easy reference for group size and how far from point of aim. Once you have a sight in target you like, use the copy center to make the duplicate targets. Much cheaper than using your own ink.

smo likes this.
  15. Mar 8, 2019 #35

Larry (Omaha)

Larry (Omaha)

Larry (Omaha)

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

IMG_1150.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg
    Two main reasons: Both targets have vertical and horizontal lines to align my sights, verses tying to eye ball dead center. Shooting at 100 yrds these V & H lines especially help me as bull ends up being covered with my sights. I always shoot a dead on hold. Grid give me dimensions for group size or distance from my POA
    Flintlocklar
    IMG_1150.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg

16. Mar 8, 2019 #36

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

17. Mar 9, 2019 #37

Larry (Omaha)

Larry (Omaha)

Larry (Omaha)

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Sorry for the double photo post earlier, dunno what I did. Did not see it till now

18. Mar 10, 2019 #38

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

10" or 12" AR500 steel gong. Paint white. Bang away, Hits are super easy to see out to 100 meters.
    After 5 or 10 shots, run down range and hit it with some Wally World 93 cents a can fast prime and repeat.
    I generally sight in at 75 meters, then move to 100 meters to work on "minute of deer" shots. Then I move to 200 yards just to see how good I can see.....
    No printing, no paper, no staples, no stickies no backers, no muss, no fuss.
    When I am done I just chunk them in the back of the truck until the next outing.
    I have gongs from 2" to 16" for every application....
    20190216_152301.jpg

19. Mar 10, 2019 #39

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

I too prefer the steel gong over the paper target. Everything Griz said about them is true, except for maybe the "super easy to see" part. Oh they're seeable just not super easy. (For me anyway!) And you can really impress the nosey neighbor with the sound they make.

20. Mar 11, 2019 #40

mushka

mushka

mushka

36 Cal.

Out to fifty yards I use the fifty yard usmc slow fire pistol target for the 45, 50 and 54 rifles. I can use this target for shooting out further if I need to but my vision isn't what it once was so I keep targets closer than I used to. I will make cardboard cutouts of a squirrel or rabbit for my 36 and 31 cal rifles for practicing head shots. I've found shooting at non round or square targets helps me with hunting animals and making better hits.