• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite sharpening stone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use a 30 + carborundum for grind then medium arkansas then ceramic that was sold by case for xx blades also about 30 35 years old. finish with slipstrop - real smooth shave. works for carving tools lathe tools knives.

Been buying and using different stones for 50 years so it would be easier to say what I don't own yet !
Diamond plates , don't own one yet . Did buy my first Japanese water stone , 8000/3000 but have yet to try it . I probably own at least one of everything Smith and Norton have produced in the last 50 years in the way of a stone .

I have a collections of different stones and the two that I find most useful are an extra fine diamond stone and plate glass with 2000 grit wet or dry.

I also have a wood disk with 1500 grit wet or dry glued on that makes a great polishing wheel, though it shreds easily.

I’ve had a bunch of different stones and guides because I’m not very good at knife sharpening and I hate dull ones. Recently I bought the guided sharpening system from Work Sharp and it seems to be a winner. I’ve run out of knives in the house to sharpen. Costs like $50 and another $30 for the deluxe accessory kit which adds a strop and a couple more diamond plates.

I've always used Smith's or Lansky Arkansas bench stones, and their guided rod systems on the rare occasion I've needed to use a stone.
A dry leather strop (or boot top) usually keep my edges sharp enough to skin a critter or three, clean a mess of fish, whittle a feather stick, or cut cord/rope, and open a package or break down some boxes.

Depends what I am sharpening. My favorite is a fairly large hard black Arkansas stone I have had for decades that puts a hair popping edge on good steel . . . eventually. For a good general edge I use Norton stones to get the profile and thereafter touch up with ceramic. Axes and broadheads a good single cut bastard file. Scythes a good oval wet stone.

For starting off on poor grinds I have a KME jig with diamond and ceramic in various grits that will even do D2 properly.

There is one gent that insists the bottom of a coffee mug is as good as any. As noted: skill is more important than anything else.

Roll down a car window and the top edge makes a pretty good substitute for a crock stick or a fine stone.
At least until you wear it smooth.

Latest posts

Back