• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your best turkey load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 Gauge dbl. choked full/full. 100 grains FF / equal volume copper plated 4's. Two felt wads. A plastic finger wad with the cup cut off. Thin cardboard overshot wad. These two jakes were part of a group of six and were kind enough to put their heads close together. One shot downed both.

upload_2019-2-14_17-25-56.png

Timely post. Just this a.m. there were four toms in my yard. Big ones. All had about 10" beards. Not in season but very tempting. Enneyhow, congrats, nice birds. Your load sounds massive to me. Did those turks complain about it? ;-)

The load I use for turkeys is 80 grains 2fg and 90 grains of shot. IIRC 90 grains of shot is equal to about 1 1/4 oz. I use telephone book paper for wadding. Crumple up a couple small pieces over the powder, tamp flat, pour lead, then a piece over the shot. It patterns well enough out to 25 yards in my 20 gauge cylinder bored flintlock. The pattern isn't super dense, but dense enough to consistently put 4 or 5 pellets in a turkey target's head, and that's all it takes to kill one.

Latest posts

Back