• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats the group opinion on Traditions Revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reel Creel

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello All ... I was wondering what you guys think about these guns? Is the quality ok? The price seems good, but I know you get what you pay for. Your thoughts please.

Sorry I cannot help you as I have never owned nor shot one ..I will say the general drift as I was researching things was that brass framed revolvers (which I believe Traditions uses quite often) are the second choice to steel mainframes ..especially the open top Colt patterns who eventually develop cylinder pin anchoring problems but not so much the Remington type patterns ..

With that said ..quantity of shooting, power of the loads shot and proper or improper locking of the barrel assembly to the main frame all come into play

I should think target powered mid range loads and even in substantial quantities a brass frame revolver should last a man a long time ..pressure is the killer of brass so all bets are off as to a brass framed revolver fed a steady diet of "full house loads"

As to Traditions over all reputation ..they may suffer the "brass frame syndrome" somewhat since they do produce a lot of brass framed revolvers ..However ..I am sure there are folks on here that have had great success with Tradition's brass and steel

Plus we all need to start somewhere and there is nothing wrong with starting in a price range that fit in your present needs ..

Good luck and welcome to the forum ..you will find a lot of talented, knowledgeable and helpful folks
Enjoy
Bear

Sorry I cannot help you as I have never owned nor shot one ..I will say the general drift as I was researching things was that brass framed revolvers (which I believe Traditions uses quite often) are the second choice to steel mainframes ..especially the open top Colt patterns who eventually develop cylinder pin anchoring problems but not so much the Remington type patterns ..

With that said ..quantity of shooting, power of the loads shot and proper or improper locking of the barrel assembly to the main frame all come into play

I should think target powered mid range loads and even in substantial quantities a brass frame revolver should last a man a long time ..pressure is the killer of brass so all bets are off as to a brass framed revolver fed a steady diet of "full house loads"

As to Traditions over all reputation ..they may suffer the "brass frame syndrome" somewhat since they do produce a lot of brass framed revolvers ..However ..I am sure there are folks on here that have had great success with Tradition's brass and steel

Plus we all need to start somewhere and there is nothing wrong with starting in a price range that fit in your present needs ..

Good luck and welcome to the forum ..you will find a lot of talented, knowledgeable and helpful folks
Enjoy
Bear
Hey Thanks for the reply, What is brass frame syndrome? I really don't plan on shooting the things a whole lot; just once in a while. They seem like a good deal and I do have a few of there new stile rifles I use for hunting and they seem fine as long as there cleaned. But that goes with out saying.

I don't have any Traditions revolvers but they get good reviews for the most part. I have several Traditions rifles and single shot pistols and they have all been excellent shooters. Not the fanciest or custom finished but good and reliable. I do have plenty of Pietta percussion revolvers and they are darn fine guns.

The brass frame can last for many years if you keep the loads on the lighter side. Plenty of discussions about that topic. Those lighter loads are often among the more accurate so that isn't necessarily a big limitation.

Welcome to the Forum.

Jeff

My son recently bought a Traditions 1868 Remington, made by Pietta. I was skeptical when he ordered it but after having shot it now quite a bit I'm impressed. The only thing I worry about is the loading lever seems a tad fragile and we don't dare try seating anything but pure lead projectiles.

With 25 grains of 3F it shoots roundballs and my 225 grain cast round nose conicals great. I do have to size the bottom and middle bands on the conicals down to chamber diameter so they will pass under the load lever but the front band as cast is sufficient to seal the charge from chain fire. It's a fun gun to shoot.

I do hate they come with #10 nipples, because everything else we have is #11. He plans to buy #11 nipples asap, pinching caps is a pain.

I don't have any Traditions revolvers but they get good reviews for the most part. I have several Traditions rifles and single shot pistols and they have all been excellent shooters. Not the fanciest or custom finished but good and reliable. I do have plenty of Pietta percussion revolvers and they are darn fine guns.

The brass frame can last for many years if you keep the loads on the lighter side. Plenty of discussions about that topic. Those lighter loads are often among the more accurate so that isn't necessarily a big limitation.

Welcome to the Forum.

Jeff

I agree completely. I have an 1851 .44 brass frame and I shoot no more than 18 gr. of BP in it. I Also have the same Pistol in case hardened steel frame and still only go with 20 gr. in it. Both shoot very well and accuracy is spot on.

My son recently bought a Traditions 1868 Remington, made by Pietta. I was skeptical when he ordered it but after having shot it now quite a bit I'm impressed. The only thing I worry about is the loading lever seems a tad fragile and we don't dare try seating anything but pure lead projectiles.

With 25 grains of 3F it shoots roundballs and my 225 grain cast round nose conicals great. I do have to size the bottom and middle bands on the conicals down to chamber diameter so they will pass under the load lever but the front band as cast is sufficient to seal the charge from chain fire. It's a fun gun to shoot.

I do hate they come with #10 nipples, because everything else we have is #11. He plans to buy #11 nipples asap, pinching caps is a pain.

I use RWS 1075 Caps and they work great and are readily available to buy.

RWS 1075's caps are slightly smaller than #11 caps. Hence the 1075 (10.75) instead of 11
So they're going to be too tight on the other #11 nipples I mentioned. If the 1858 Remington was the only thing we had here I can see the point, but it's not. He ordered #11 nipples by the way. That solves our issue.

I,ve been kickin the idea around for several years about gettin the Trapper.The reports on that one have been good.Wish I would have pulled the trigger because the price has since gone way up.

They're Pietta made revolvers, so they're decent quality, and can be cleaned up to be really nice shooters (including opening up the loading window in the frame to accept the historical bullets the revolvers were meant to be able to shoot). I refuse to buy from Traditions, however, being an Ohioan; but Pietta's quality is generally good.

As for Traditions' single shot pistols, you can get better for only a little more.

All good stuff. Do you guys grease the chambers after they have been loaded? I do hear about the things setting off the other chambers once in a while. So whats the best way? patches or grease or both?

Back