• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the difference between Pyrodex types?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbrown

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is Pyrodex RS and P the same formulation, only differing in size of granules? Can I run RS through a ball mill and transform it into P?

Last edited:
I have Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex Select. They look totally different, with the Select looking more like Triple 7. Never seen Pyrodex P, so I don't know if it's the same as RS.

Pyrodex P is the same formula. It just has finer grains and will flow into the area under the nipple easier than the larger grains.

P (Pistol) is equal to FFFg while RS (Rifle/Shotgun) is equal to FFg. "Select" is just a bit better quality product.

Is Pyrodex RS and P the same formulation, only differing in size of granules? Can I run RS through a ball mill and transform it into P?
They are the same formula just different in finished grain size. I would suspect you could crush RS down to a smaller size but getting it consistent might be an issue which could affect it's performance. Unless you really feel a need or just want to experiment I can't see much reason for grinding RS down. I would certainly avoid using anything that could spark as grinding it down could affect the ignition characteristics and that would be an unpleasant experience. I would think if you wanted Pyrodex P you should be able to find it without too much trouble as the Pyrodex powders are found much more widely than real black since they are classified as a propellant not an explosive so more places carry them.

Pyrodex types RS is Rifle Shotgun P is for Pistols, as far as pellets the chemical that binds, If powder and pellets are of same "Name" "Maker" such as Hodgdon can be mixed 20g powder 50 pellet provided powder is first in and it is all pyrodex of the same maker. Black Powder and Pyrodex should never be mixed again NEVER MIX PYRODEX AND BLACK POWDER. as desi23 pointed out RS could be ground for pistol if needed, I am not saying I would never, I am saying the need would need to be extreme say like the apocalypse

I may try the RS in my revolvers as is. The reason I brought this up is I can find no BP at all, no Pyro P, but plenty of RS locally. Thanks for all the replies.

Pyrodex types RS is Rifle Shotgun P is for Pistols, as far as pellets the chemical that binds, If powder and pellets are of same "Name" "Maker" such as Hodgdon can be mixed 20g powder 50 pellet provided powder is first in and it is all pyrodex of the same maker. Black Powder and Pyrodex should never be mixed again NEVER MIX PYRODEX AND BLACK POWDER. as desi23 pointed out RS could be ground for pistol if needed, I am not saying I would never, I am saying the need would need to be extreme say like the apocalypse
I Mixed Pyrodex with BP once in my 1.25 in bore cannon, never again used a 50/50 mix(4oz charge), when it went bang the cannon rolled back 7 feet plus the ground shook

Black Powder and Pyrodex should never be mixed again NEVER MIX PYRODEX AND BLACK POWDER.
Have you ever read the label on a Pyrodex container? You may want to contact Hodgdon and let them know they missed the memo about mixing BP and Pyrodex, as Hodgdon continues to recommend in their load data and on their containers that you pour about 5 grains of blackpowder in the bore first followed by Pyrodex as the main charge when used in a flintlock. I also believe the black on one end of the Pyrodex pellet is blackpowder to help ignition.
1636303930499.jpeg

Back