• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What's the best way to waterproof a Cow's Knee ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees wax is what I used, rubbed on both sides of the leather and heated too melt it in…

I applied it two or three times after I completed the stitches…The seam got an additional couple of applications.

This was a couple of years ago, and so far it’s waterproof.

2-B9-BFED1-92-E3-4-FAE-B77-A-72-AD9854-EBAA.jpg

Sno -seal is a good product too..

I would like your opinions on the best way / substance / coating to waterproof my cow's knee.
Thanks for your input.
I've used, mink oil, neatsfoot oil, beeswax, and various combinations thereof.
20210107_195517.jpg20210108_083925.jpg20210107_201813.jpg20210111_095551.jpgIMG_20151119_151123_155.jpg
I set the oven to it's lowest setting and warm the leather in there, then apply some of whatever product I'm using. Returning it to the oven now and then to warm the product and the leather. I usual apply the oils 1st, then hit the seams with some beeswax.

Snow seal, bees wax heated in to the leathe, oil, just about any thing you would normally use to make leather water resistant, in my opinion there is no such thing as water proof perhaps except a fror or ducks butt.
I used to always weather proof my hiking books with snow seal. Rub it in with heat from a hair drier and then hang it in the sun.

Back