• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the best temp for casting RB's?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pure lead likes a little more heat than alloy mixes. "Bang" mentioned 800 degrees and I agree, as I usually have success with round ball at that temp. Any wrinkles and increase the temp a bit. I use a thermometer as most of my molds are aluminum and multiple(5 & 6) cavity. These can over heat and get a little sticky if running too hot.

Last edited:
There is no one set temperature to use when casting. Everyone casts different and there are allot of variables. speed of casting, type of mould, cavity size, alloy and so on. I do agree though pure lead needs to be run pretty hot. a tiny touch of tin will help the mould fill out with out making a real difference in hardness. I start out hot and as things get going and the mould heats up, I turn the heat down. It's good if it takes about 3 or 4 seconds for the lead to cool enough that I can drop the cast out. Longer is hotter than needed and takes more time. If it cools too quickly or not getting good fill out, temp needs to go up.

I was wondering if there is a consensus on the best temperature for casting round balls??
Depends on the weight and its consistency you want. I found .049 cast 167 with good timing will be about 180gr in a dual cavity mould, about 175 in a single. Higher the temp heavier the ball and higher variable in weight due to the heat retained in the mould. At 167 I can usually keep them within 1gr from heaviest to lightest. I can see the result on my targets.

I was wondering if there is a consensus on the best temperature for casting round balls??
I only use pure lead for balls. So, 800* based on a thermometer. I use Lee gang molds and they must be preheated. I leave the on top of the pot while the lead melts. I use a bottom pour Lee pot and leave a puddle on the sprue plate. I look for a casting cadence that gives a 3-5 count for the sprue to solidify. The time depends on both the temperature of the blocks and the lead.

I use a thermometer. I'm one of those "detail oriented" types, not satisfied with "well, that looks OK..". According to my records..( I also keep logs of all this stuff.. :thumb:) Maintaining 800 degrees works best. I use a LEE bottom pour pot. I have found that fabricating a sort of "field expedient" lid/cover for the pot out of multiple thicknesses of heavy duty aluminium foil helps keep things more consistent. Just laid over the top with a niche for the thermometer that I leave in place during the entire casting session.
Some of the best advice I ever received regarding bullet casting of all types and alloys went something like this:
"Get everything up to temperature and once you start getting good ones coming out of your mold, go like hell".
That's not an admonition to be reckless, but to proceed without delays or interruptions. Establish a rhythm and avoid distractions.
Hope this helps.

Back