• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Whats on your holiday table?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance but what do muzzelloaders (hunters, gathers) have for there Thanksgiving meal? Just curious as I am not a hunter and I was surprised to here that you still eat squirrel. Any strange dishes?. Happy Thanksgiving & God Bless............Labrat

Fried shrimp and oysters.

I don't buy turkey, so you can not accuse me of running up the price of them.

pheasant (usually as soup), smoked trout, a dish of pickles and olives, then Turkey (store bought this year), turnips, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, butternut squash, boiled pearl onions, sweet potato of some kind.
Then, home baked pies.....

Family dinner got cancelled as a member came down with covid.

My immediate family had a 1 skillet brunch of sausage (homemade) onions, green and red peppers, taters, cheese and eggs. Toasted Homemade English muffin bread.

The three of us were kind of sick of turkey anyway as I had cooked one last Friday for all the leftovers.

My Sister is the Matriarch of the Family, so she cooks the meal and I give her money to help pay to feed the family. Store bought turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, stuffing, 3 cheese macaroni, scalloped corn, cold shrimp, black and green olives, spring onions, pumpkin pie w/Canned SSPPPDFFFFFFF Whipped Cream AND Canned Cranberry Sauce from the ribbed can, because that's the only cranberry sauce the cook likes from us being raised with it!

Gus

My Sister is the Matriarch of the Family, so she cooks the meal and I give her money to help pay to feed the family. Store bought turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, stuffing, 3 cheese macaroni, scalloped corn, cold shrimp, black and green olives, spring onions, pumpkin pie w/Canned SSPPPDFFFFFFF Whipped Cream AND Canned Cranberry Sauce from the ribbed can, because that's the only cranberry sauce the cook likes from us being raised with it!

Gus
Please describe this, "scalloped shrimp."
Recipe?

Please describe this, "scalloped shrimp."
Recipe?

It's scalloped corn, not shrimp. You use CREAMED corn and beat up two to four eggs (as if for scrambled eggs) depending on the size of your dish and pour that over the top. Then a liberal coating of crushed saltine crackers to form a crust. Then good sized daubs of butter every two or three inches on top. Bake at 350 until the crust turns golden brown.

Gus

It's scalloped corn, not shrimp. You use CREAMED corn and beat up two to four eggs (as if for scrambled eggs) depending on the size of your dish and pour that over the top. Then a liberal coating of crushed saltine crackers to form a crust. Then good sized daubs of butter every two or three inches on top. Bake at 350 until the crust turns golden brown.

Gus
Sorry, your post had me thinking of both things at the same time. 😋
Not sure I could eat that scalloped corn,,,, but man it sounds good (okay, I could definitely eat it,,,, but there would be some serious regret later)

Sorry, your post had me thinking of both things at the same time. 😋
Not sure I could eat that scalloped corn,,,, but man it sounds good (okay, I could definitely eat it,,,, but there would be some serious regret later)

It's a midwest thing. I've found many midwest dishes to be a cross between German and southern cooking.

Gus

We had to host for a “diverse” group so nothing much out of the ordinary. Wife made a cranberry chutney and oyster mushroom green bean casserole, charcuterie board, no one was too freaked out we had enough alcohol so that helped.

Please forgive my ignorance but what do muzzelloaders (hunters, gathers) have for there Thanksgiving meal? Just curious as I am not a hunter and I was surprised to here that you still eat squirrel. Any strange dishes?. Happy Thanksgiving & God Bless............Labrat
Ruffed grouse (4), one rabbit! All roasted in a bag with the proper seasonings! All shot with a Pedersoli sxs, 12g with no.6 copper-plated shot! Mashed ‘tatoes, with a green been sautéed in bacon bowl. Cheesecake flan and apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert along with a six pack (or two) of Sierra Nevada IPA’s! God bless and hope you all had a great time! Looking forward to Christmas!!

Thank you all for sharing your table with all of use. Myself I had a traditional turkey & Ham with sides. Never aquired a taste for wild meats and was interesting to hear what others feast on. Nothing too bad that I wouldn't try if I had the chance. How Blessed we are to have food & family......................Labrat

I would love to have squirrel again but alas not this year, could not get any quail either. This year just Bison rib-eye, green bean casserole, Thomas Jefferson Biscuits (my wife's favorite from Walter Staib's "City Tavern Cookbook"), and mashed potatoes.
The next night my wife made Potato Dumplings with Grandma Mad L's recipe handed down, covered with mushroom gravy. The left over potatoe dumpling got sliced and fried for breakfast....we made a large batch of mashed potatoes just so we could stretch them out in German tradition.

Latest posts

Back