• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What's going on with Dixie Gunworks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1stCav

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's going on with Dixie Gun Works? Are they no longer in business? I placed an order with them on Feb 26th and still haven't received anything. I've tried their contact us form 3 times and no answer from them. Today I tried calling both their 800 number and the 731 number and both go to being unable to complete due to the called party being unavailable. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The nipples i ordered for a pistol were 4 weeks getting herewith them in stock..sounds like your stuff is awaiting stocking first

I ordered a pedersoli brown bess about 2 weeks ago. Called to see what's going on, and they're just a few weeks behind in shipping. I've been able to call in and talk to them twice now using the number listed on their website. If you need it quickly, maybe cancel and look somewhere else. If you have time, just wait I suppose. Shipping is all screwy for them right now.

I just recived a spring I ordered about three weeks ago. They told me they were about one month behind when I placed the order.

I cancelled an order too and the woman said she doesn't blame me. I thought that was funny. At the time she said they were 5-6 weeks behind.

Covid is is over a year old. They could have hired more help by now. I buy from Muzzle-Loaders and October Country. They both get the orders out the same day or the next. 5-6 weeks is ridiculous.

As long as the government is paying people to stay home businesses will have a hard time finding people who want to work. In my small town we have over 18 places trying to find employees. If everybody quits doing business with DGW they may not be around when we need them. If I need something they have I will order from them and wait patiently for my order.

DGW tells you up front to expect a delay and if you accept that, then place your order. If you don't accept that, go elsewhere. No reason to complain about what they tell you to expect. They are a small family operated business and quite often have what others do not. I buy from them because I know they will not renig on the order and you will get what you order eventually. In my last three orders, they have beaten the time that they predicted. I am quite happy with that and the quality of goods that I get from them. Other places I've dealt with are slow also, It seems the high demand has placed a big burden on all the retailers.

For those who have been to DGW you will understand. DGW has 7-8 maybe 10 employees. If you look at the catalog you will see many have 30 plus yrs each working there. They have been hit by the virus so shut down and less help, people being paid to stay home so no new hires or temp help, orders growing as folks have time to work and build stuff and the list goes on. Maybe the covid is a yr old, but all that is happening is they got behind and all orders are growing and cannot catch up. One worker off a day is 10% less work done a day. It is not so simple to just "hire more workers". Find em, train em ain't easy. That would be a fun place to work, but tough as well to learn all the products and locations.

I am very lucky to live within a half-hour’s drive of DGW. It’s a wonderful place to visit, but there are few things causing the current situation.

1) They are very short staffed. They have maybe twenty people to handle the phones, warehouse, shipping, storefront, everything. The staffing shortage is caused partially by the historically high unemployment money right now, and partially by drugs.Unfortunately not many folks around here can piss clean long enough to get or keep a job.

2) Order volume. They never stopped taking orders due to COVID, and they never closed their storefront. Also, the current climate of fear and regulation has increased their order volume dramatically due to panic buying. They’ve been filling orders as fast as possible, but they’ve been flooded.

3) The phones. During my last visit the phone rang. I jokingly asked if it was someone calling about powder. With a straight face the lady told me that they get so many calls a day asking about caps, powder, and revolvers in stock that they’ve had to move a phone to the packaging table so they can multitask. Literally hundreds of calls a day.

I’m not offering this as a defense or an apology, just an explanation/observation since I go there frequently. DGW is basically staffed by a platoon of little old ladies doing the very best they can, they’ve just been overwhelmed. They are trying to catch up, but as the weather improves and shooting activities increase, they’ve got a long road ahead of them.

I ordered a few parts from DGW and it took about three weeks; but I was not in a hurry. Builders Supply, Log Cabin and Track of the Wolf don’t seem to be suffering a slow down.

So how hard is it to hire people to box up parts and match it with the paperwork. :dunno:
Probably it's pretty hard.
Dixie Gun Works is in Union City, Tennessee. The whole town would fit in a 4 mile X 4 mile square and it's population is only about 12,000.
Training people to work takes time and I'm pretty sure all of the current Dixie employee's are busy packing and shipping things to their customers so they don't have the time to train newcomers.

My town is only 2200 population and lot's of people looking for work here.

I am very lucky to live within a half-hour’s drive of DGW. It’s a wonderful place to visit, but there are few things causing the current situation.

1) They are very short staffed. They have maybe twenty people to handle the phones, warehouse, shipping, storefront, everything. The staffing shortage is caused partially by the historically high unemployment money right now, and partially by drugs.Unfortunately not many folks around here can piss clean long enough to get or keep a job.

2) Order volume. They never stopped taking orders due to COVID, and they never closed their storefront. Also, the current climate of fear and regulation has increased their order volume dramatically due to panic buying. They’ve been filling orders as fast as possible, but they’ve been flooded.

3) The phones. During my last visit the phone rang. I jokingly asked if it was someone calling about powder. With a straight face the lady told me that they get so many calls a day asking about caps, powder, and revolvers in stock that they’ve had to move a phone to the packaging table so they can multitask. Literally hundreds of calls a day.

I’m not offering this as a defense or an apology, just an explanation/observation since I go there frequently. DGW is basically staffed by a platoon of little old ladies doing the very best they can, they’ve just been overwhelmed. They are trying to catch up, but as the weather improves and shooting activities increase, they’ve got a long road ahead of them.
its like that all over,,,hope it ends soon

It is what it is. Unfortunately the world has gone full on insane and all us common sense folk have to put up with the fall out from that.

I just received an item from Midway after three months. It showed in stock when I ordered it but went to back order shortly thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back