• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what's acceptable space over ball in revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When I load my Remington with 25g of FFF powder, a felt wad and a ball, I have about 1/4"
space left. I've shot it that way and it seems fine but it makes we wonder... what would be the maximum space before one should use some filler, or a second wad?

Someone who uses lube over the chamber instead of a wad would be better off with some space between the round and the lip, as the side blast could strip away much of that lube from adjacent chambers. So setting a round deeper into the chamber can't be seen as completely detrimental.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Informal and fun shooting that depth is no problem and I wouldn't concern myself about it. Shooting in matches where every little bit counts then I would use a filler to put the ball just short of the chamber mouth.

No limit here,just seat the ball touching the powder. You can plink with 5 grs. BP in a 36 or 7grs. in a 44 at 12 yards w/ decent groups.A daub of crisco on the ball for lube. Have taught new shooters that way for years with all my Revolvers and single shots...

When I load my Remington with 25g of FFF powder, a felt wad and a ball, I have about 1/4"
space left. I've shot it that way and it seems fine but it makes we wonder... what would be the maximum space before one should use some filler, or a second wad?

They never seem to have used either wad nor chamber 'top-up' grease in the old days, so why would be do so now? No mention on the colt label in one of my cases, either, and i figure that they know what they were doing back then,

I'm a noob at this kind of thing, though, only having started my BP handgun shooting at the time of the Moon Landings. YMMV.

Seven grains in a .44? Why would anyone do that? What's the purpose, exactly? Do you get many squibs, second chance?

The general consensuses with match shooters is that the ball needs to be as close to the forcing cone as possible without impeding cylinder movement. There should be no air space behind the ball in the powder charge and this is the reason most match shooters use filler of one kind or another with Cream of Wheat being the most popular as it has no oil in it and does not compress as does corn meal.
In recent years I have been experimenting with felt wads soaked in melted Bees wax under the ball to fill the air space in the powder charge. The reason I have switched over after decades of over ball lubing is because after the first shot most of the lube in the other chambers is blown off and more of it goes with each proceeding shot. The last one in the cylinder will be loaded with fouling and have most all of the initial lube blown off before it is shot. This in itself makes for a progressive inconsistency with each proceeding shot which a lube wad under the ball eliminates.
Thus far it looks to me like the lubed wad to fill all air space under the ball, positioned at the end of the chamber, is just as accurate as over ball lubing and far less messy!

Last edited:
Gee Dog, I haven't tried 7 grains in my 44, but I could see using something like that in a quasi rural area where one was trying to keep the noise down. Also, for close range shooting at paper. It probably won't give the most accuracy, but still provide easy shooting. With the current situation with this virus, I might try something like that in my back yard to just be able to keep shooting my BP guns. I've been using air pistols and rifles, but burning some powder would be fun. Ranges here are mostly closed due to the Corona scare.

One wants to be careful with these light loads shooting into hard wood stumps as a knot can turn a ball completely around and make it come whizzing back at you! I've had it happen with .22 RF bullets.

A lot of people have had a roundball bounce back at them when they used light loads and shot it into hardwood.
Even shooting at a piece of thick plywood when using light powder loads can cause the ball to bounce off and come whizzing back at you.

A lot of people have had a roundball bounce back at them when they used light loads and shot it into hardwood.
Even shooting at a piece of thick plywood when using light powder loads can cause the ball to bounce off and come whizzing back at you.
Had it happen with a belgian 12ga ml. Shot plywood and had quite a bit of shot came back 30 yds or so and got me and the guy who pulled the trigger. Not me. 80gr of 2f equal part 7.5 shot.

They never seem to have used either wad nor chamber 'top-up' grease in the old days, so why would be do so now? No mention on the colt label in one of my cases, either, and i figure that they know what they were doing back then,

I'm a noob at this kind of thing, though, only having started my BP handgun shooting at the time of the Moon Landings. YMMV.

With due respect to your many years shooting but, you asked why...Not trying to copy/reenact/or recreate the old days. Lube = less leading and fouling in barrel = better accuracy= winning more matches/improved accuracy...c

Have used filler. Did not find any advantage in it myself.
Do use a thick mix of wax and veg oil melted together over ball. Doesn't blow out near as bad as other stuff. IMO it does help as far as leading when I shoot a lot.

tom in nc,
The best reason to have the ball as far forward as will work is that not only are the chambers in many reproduction percussion revolvers under the diameter that would best serve their barrels but they were finished with a tapered reamer. That means as the ball goes further into the chamber it becomes even smaller.

Back