• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's a Kibler SMR weigh?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before we get to the meat of the question, let me say to the young guys here DON'T GET OLD!

You don't think it will happen to you but you can no longer hold up your muzzle heavy rifles and when you do you can't see the )*(&^*&^ sights fast enough to try and align them.

So, lets look for a new rifle! I assume all Kibler SMR's have the same outside dimensions so a .45 should be the lightest of the calibers offered.
What would a Kibler in .45 caliber weigh and where is the balance point?

I am thinking about 8 LBs or under would be the sweet spot with the weight about were the rear sight is?

I can't find it on the Kibler site now. I believe the SMR in 45 cal is less than 7 lbs, which is why I ordered that caliber. I haven't built it yet so I don't know where the balance point is.

I just weighed mine for the first time a few minutes ago. I knew it was light, but I was really surprised when my electronic scale said 6.2 pounds. Mine is stocked in fancy maple.

You peaked my interest so I got my SMR out of the gun safe and stepped on the scale.

Mine is a .32, walnut stocked with a 46" barrel, a closes estimate of it's weight is 7.4#, give or take a little.

My balance point is at the rear ramrod thimble.

I was in a hurry to leave for work this morning and I did not fully answer your question. So here is the rest of the information: .45 cal, and the balance point is directly below the back of the rear sight (about 1-3/4" back from th tip of the forearm). My SMR is as Jim sent it with no extra metal added in he form of inlays or patchbox. The weight given is with the rifle completely assembled and the metal and wood finished and ramrod mounted.

Wood density plays a part. My fancy maple 45 cal. Kibler SMR weighs 6.2oz. empty and balances about 1-2" behind the rear sight. My rifle has a 3 1/2" steel toe plate added. It doesn't feel muzzle heavy at all. I had to go to a thicker front sight to be able to see it. Its an old eyes thing.

i have a 40, 36, and 45 Kibler SMR, the 45 feels by far the lightest! it is not nose heavy. the 40 i finished yesterday has a little weight in front but ok. the 36 has the most weight in front but my wife can shoot offhand though she complains, but don't all gals?

Back