• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Whats a good side by side shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's a good quality side x side shotgun? For birds, ducks, chickens and any other shotgun duties? New not antique? 10 or 13 gage? Flint or percussion?

Pedersoli makes a good shotgun. Navy Arms also makes them, as does Cinnabon I believe.
I have an older Navy 12 full/full and it does great. I use 13 gauge wads, 80-85 grains FFG and 1 - 1 1/8 oz shot. Percussion is pretty much it. You can find some Flint repos, but they are on the expensive side from what I saw.

Last edited:
If new means, brand new- recently manufactured I think Pedersoli is the only option. Navy Arms hasn't offered a shotgun for quite a while. Pietta and Baretta make them but not sure if anyone is currently importing them.

If new means, brand new- recently manufactured I think Pedersoli is the only option. Navy Arms hasn't offered a shotgun for quite a while. Pietta and Baretta make them but not sure if anyone is currently importing them.
I think you are right. If you look around on Gunbroker or any of your local gun sale sites, you may find one. I picked mine up a while back from a local guy for around $300. I think you can find one if you are not in a big hurry between $300-500 depending on condition.

RE-mortgage the property, Sell the Kids or the Wife and buy an British 1830 to 1870 double gun by a reputable maker NOCK SMITH HOLLAND AND SO MANY OTHERS . They do come up your side or in UK but shipping may be difficult and we do like to keep 'em 'ere.. OLD DOG..

Well, I got rid of the wife, and there went all my extra spending money. Kids are too old to sell. Have a plan B?
Reminds me of when Rod Steward was doing an interview after the divorce of one of his former wives. He was asked if he would ever remarry. His response was, "No, I'll just find a woman I absolutely hate and buy her a house!"

What's a good quality side x side shotgun?

Mine...😁

1623447227495.png

Are the Petersolie well made and quality? Do both barrels usually hit at same aim?
I thought chokes were to determine when the cup was to leave the shot. How do they work on bp loads?

What's a good quality side x side shotgun? For birds, ducks, chickens and any other shotgun duties? New not antique? 10 or 13 gage? Flint or percussion?
Hey Bob the motorcycle guy , old school biker/Harley guy here. I bought my first BP shotgun last yr. I got a Pedersoli 12ga SxS 30" barrels. It's not fancy, but light, balanced well, handles & swings very well. But I don't have the experience as of yet to really make it pattern to hunt with. It's a good gun & not too expensive considering how even BP & ML prices have gone in the last cpl yrs. idk if they make a 13ga., but they do make a nice 10ga that might interest & suit you.

Are the Petersolie well made and quality? Do both barrels usually hit at same aim?
I thought chokes were to determine when the cup was to leave the shot. How do they work on bp loads?
Chokes control the pattern spread somewhat by funneling the shot column into a slightly longer column. Works similar between shot cups and no shot cup.

Some Pedersolis do have an issue with little or poor barrel regulation of point of impact but don't worry, there is a fix and I have done several. So if it is an issue when you get one just give me a shout.

Latest posts

Back