• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What you reading in these cold days?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received as a gift a copy of Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Goodwin. Haven't started it yet, but flipping through it I'd say it looks pretty good.

Memoirs of Chaplain Life by Father Corby. Father Corby is the Catholic Priest (what else?) to the famous Union Irish Brigade. There's a statute of him at Gettysburg giving absolution to the men before they marched into the wheatfield. Highly readable and I'm already on page 170.

"The King's Ranger". A documentary about the Loyalist Lt. Colonel Thomas Brown and the East Florida Rangers and the effect they had on North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida during the Revolutionary War.

Next I plan to read "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter", a book primarily about the Revolutionary War in South Carolina but with quite a bit of spill over into North Carolina and Georgia.

Richard/Ga.

The Civil War, Strange and Fascinating Facts, and, The Story The Soldier Wouldn't Tell, Sex in the Civil War.

I finished Under the Black flag a few weeks ago. It's a historyof the Pirates of the Carribean. No, not the ride. It's surprising that as famous as that period is it only lasted about 30 years. I'm currently reading "A Rock and a Hard Place" . It's by that kid who had to cut off his hand to save his life. As far as I'm concerned he should have been dead for a while now with all the risks that he takes. More than once he almost got his companions killed as well. Also, I just got 1776 on tape from the library to listen to on my commute. I'm about halfway through the adventures of Lucky Jack Aubrey, also on tape, also from the library. (I'm Cheap)

Got a 'new old book' today.
La Marine: The French Colonial Soldier in Canada 1745-1761.
It brings together information from primary and secondary sources concerning the equipment , daily life and military service of Les Compagnies Franches de la Marine.
:hatsoff:

The Best the Union Could Muster by Michael Fahle. It's about the Berdan Sharp Shooters at Gettysburg.

I just returned to St. Lewis (his sp) with Zebulon Pike from wintering on the upper Mississippi in 1805-06.

Now headed up the Missouri River with him. Will see if he learned his lesson to take no gun that throws less than 30 balls to the pound. (he said it should preferably throw balls of one ounce)
[url] http://www.americanjourneys.org/pdf/AJ-143.pdf[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the American Journeys weblink :) !Now I can have something interesting to read on my Palm PDA!

Take a look at all the other stories.
That's from the year 1000-1844.[url] http://www.americanjourneys.org/texts.asp[/url]

TANSTAAFL , great link :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another member here on TMF posted the link sometime back, there is some fascinating contemporaneous reading to be found there.

I now occasionally post the link so others can enjoy as I am doing.

Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill. It's the memoirs of a Prussian immigrant who joins the Union Army and his experience during the war. It's the first time I've ever read about a direct attempt to frag an officer. The writer had a soldier whirl around and point his gun at him. Only the timely intervention of another soldier who struck the barrel up at the moment of firing saved the writer's life. I would have executed the soldier on the spot and went on my way but the officer is much nicer than I.

My Days and Nights on the Battlefield by Charles Coffin. It's from 1887 & I paid less than $15 for it.

Yesterday i got 50 Muzzleloader Magazines. :grin:
That's alot of new information for me.
So it's time to start with the first :grin:
:hatsoff:

Washington's Crossing!
Finished this book today. It was a great read, tons of info for re-enactors and just general information (the Hessians at Trenton were not hung-over from celebrating Christmas, as other account have them). Hey, the book has 100 pages of notes and references! :bow:

The Colonel's Diary by Oscar Jackson. You get to learn about the mid 19th Century courtship custom of holding. It's a chair that, if viewed from above, formed an "S" shape. The couple would sit such that the lady could rest her head upon the breast of her beau when they kissed. This is as opposed to bundling which was practiced in earlier times.

Tim Todish & Todd Harburn's new F&I book (actually Pontiac's Rebellion), A Most Troublesome Situation. I received my autographed copy (both authors) in the mail last week.

I'm currently reading GHOST SHIP OF THE CONFEDERACY - started it for the second time, but am bearing down on finishing it this time - about Confederate Capt. Raphael Semmes, and his vessels the SUMTER and the ALABAMA.

I still never finished the two I mentioned in December. It's not that I don't find these books interesting; it's just that I get distracted with so many things.

Capt. William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back