• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What you reading in these cold days?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Carver's Travels Through America, 1766-1768

William Davis' THE PIRATES LAFITTE; and William Owens' IN CAMP AND BATTLE WITH THE WASHINGTON ARTILLERY OF NEW ORLEANS.

The two topics (Napoleonic / War of 1812 era, and American Civil War) on which I'm trying to concentrate.

Capt. William

I am about to re-read a book I got at a library sale several years ago. It's The Massacre at Fall Creek by Jessamyn West. Takes place in 1824 somewhere in Indiana territory. Good story as I remember.

James Hansen of the museum of the fur trade, has a new book out called, "When skins were money" This is an excellent book about the fur trade in north america by one of the subjects best scholars.

Wilderness War on the Ohio. Fascinating read and 1/3rd the way finished. Busy being distracted writing an article right now.

The Narrative Press edition of Lewis and Clarks as told journals. Excellent read.
Two Trails

I'm working on "That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan W. Eckert. Also, "A Tour on the Prairies" as relief from that big thick book of Eckert's.

here is a website where you can download some books for free. they are mostly classics like Dickens. thought it kinda fit here and maybe someone would be interested.[url] http://www.planetpdf.com/free_pdf_ebooks.asp?CurrentPage=1[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is another place to view a number of fur trade books on line:[url] http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/mmarch.html[/url]

Some are out of print and hard to find, like Rufus Sage's.

mike.

Leading By Example, Partisan Fighters & Leaders of New France, 1660-1760: Volume Three - Bob Bearor. In this Bob Bearor's third and final book in the 'Leading by Example' trilogy we learn of the exploits of Nicolas D'Allieboust de Manthet who, in the late seventeenth century, routed Iroquois warriors at the Lake of Two Mountains, helped mount an attack on Albany, and led punitive raids against the Mohawks. This work also records the accomplishments of French-Canadian partisan fighters who were active during the last great war for the empire from 1754 to 1760. The three Native American warriors - Piskaret, Escumbuit and Grey Lock - who kept the New England frontier in disarray during this time are introduced by George "Peskunck" Larrabee who powerfully relates their fascinating stories. Also included, is a segment by Canadian author, Francois Gousse, on Lieutenant Wolff, a German who accompanied Baron Dieskau to North America in 1755 and went on to become a very successful partisan leader among the Lake Champlain-Lake George corridor. Bearor closes discussing the paritsan leader, Jean-Baptiste Levreault de Langis de Montegron (Langy), whose remarkable career included participation in the siege of Fort Beausejour, successful attacks on Fort Bull and Oswego in 1756 and providing services against Rogers' Rangers between 1757 and 1760. Bearor gives us a valuable look into war from the perspective of those who fought desperately and lost everything
:hatsoff:

Okay in addition to the occassional Dean Koontz novel; I just finished Life Expectency, I am reading the following:

Montcalme and Wolfe by Francis Parkman
The History of Murder by Colin Wilson
Beneath a Northern Sky by Steven E. Woodworth
Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
The Battles for Spottsylvania Courthouse and the Road to Yellow Tavern by Gordon Rhea

If that doesn't keep me busy for a while, I am trying to locate three or four more titles through the local bookstore.

I, too, am devouring, "That Dark and Bloody River." Some time ago, I read, "The Court Martial of Daniel Boone." I'm going to hunt it down and read it again.

cav scout said:
here is a website where you can download some books for free. they are mostly classics like Dickens. thought it kinda fit here and maybe someone would be interested.[url] http://www.planetpdf.com/free_pdf_ebooks.asp?CurrentPage=1[/quote][/url]
Good stuff! I can never get enough of the classics. I just finished Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe for the umpteenth time. I usually re-read it once a year. :thumbsup:

Jack Kelly's "Gunpowder - Alchemy, Bombards, & Pyrotechnics: The History of the Explosive that Changed the World" Pretty interesting.

Kudos to all of those reporting reading Eckert's books - in my opinon his works are some of the most interesting history books every published. I aquired the entire Winning of America series in hard cover over the years, many 1st ed., several signed. Wouldn't part with a one. I am constantly pulling them out and re-reading portions.

I just finished Bill Stock's, "Ol' Frapp's Ghost." This modest booklet discusses The Battle Creek Fight which involved the fur traders and trappers of Henry Fraeb against the locals. A fun little read, it leaves one wondering why no archaelogical dig has been conducted to find the battle site (apart from no professor being interested enough to get a dig going).

Just picked up America in 1750: a Social portrait it looks like a real insightful book :thumbsup:

Another good book for those into military history is a short novel by C.S. Forester called Rifleman Dodd. It's set in the same time and place as the Sharpe's series. I just started reading it for the third time last night. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back